UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Your most epic victory in training. Free bragging

8/2/14 4:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soul Gravy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mat Pimp - 
Josh Mancuso - The best time for me was... Wait, I have respect for the people whom I train with and wouldn't plaster training stories all over the internet. Stay classy... Phone Post 3.0

Don't be pompous, he's not naming anyone, he's celebrating a success in training by discussing them on a discussion forum.

It's still a sacred rule in BJJ. You don't talk about it.
8/2/14 5:11 PM
youarewhatiswrong
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Small victories.

Being told "your defense has gotten a lot better" by a higher belt after going a session without being tapped.

Being asked by a smaller higher belt "When did you learn such good balance and body control? I swear you must be twice as heavy as when you came in here (my weight hasn't changed). It's no fun having you on top anymore!"

Finishing a triangle choke against a fully resisting opponent for the first time (brand new white belt, same size as me and athletic, still felt good).

Being paired with a much larger (but unathletic) brand new white belt, and realizing that I could control him and tap him at will, and instead choosing to work on my sweeps and helping him understand what I was doing to sweep him.
8/3/14 12:52 AM
Josh Mancuso

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
The Mat Pimp -
Josh Mancuso - The best time for me was... Wait, I have respect for the people whom I train with and wouldn't plaster training stories all over the internet. Stay classy... Phone Post 3.0

Don't be pompous, he's not naming anyone, he's celebrating a success in training by discussing them on a discussion forum.
I'm not being pompous. You don't talk about training outside the training room.

Coming on a forum to "brag" about a training victory is not only weak but also somewhat delusional.

But what do I know right? Phone Post 3.0
8/3/14 2:19 AM
FanToFighter
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first time my coach rolled with me and I realized how amazing legitimate BJJ really is. Phone Post 3.0
8/3/14 10:41 AM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Middletown, CT

One time I was rolling with Roy Dean at the Harris Academy in San Diego. He was a brown belt and I had just been promoted to purple.  It was a fun, playful roll but he was setting traps everywhere and I was stumbliing blindly into all of them.  The best one was probably when he let me pass and pin him from the side, and I was feeling all cool using my best hold down, and then he made a slight adjustment and within 3 seconds I was on my back being armbarred.  I have a video of it.  I busted out laughing before I tapped because it was so silly.  

Also, as a new brown belt I rolled with my friend Rich Martens just before he tested for his black belt.  He did pretty much anything he wanted...including that old Mount Escape where you bridge super high and then insert both knees to butterfly guard.  Towards the end, I put him into my guard and start playing half guard, which is MY JAM.  He started passing with the most incredible forward pressure I've ever experienced (but with a surgically precise pass, because that's how he rolls).  It took him 5-10 seconds to find a weakness to exploit and pass my guard, and then he mounted and put me into a crazy neck crank position.  Afterwards, he told me he was really impressed with my half guard and its ability to withstand his freaky passing pressure.  True story. :)

I've got more.  Wait, what are we supposed to be doing?

8/3/14 12:04 PM
EvilGumby
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some veteran on the mat tried to be all laughing and showing off by "toying" with me while we were rolling. Then he proceeded to get frustrated when he wasn't catching me in all his "cool sh!t". I'd been working a lot on my S&C off the mat and my pressure game on the mat. So I'd repeatedly let him get halfway through his "cool move bro" and then stuff him in a white belt headlock and slowly pressure him until he tapped.

The best part was pretending to offer the guy "tips" after he was trying to be all "ultra-technical" with his super advanced stuff. Mainly to let him know that I was going to white belt head lock him in advance and still stuck him, pressured him, and tapped him, again and again. I'll never forget watching his titanic ego slowly crumble to pieces that night.
8/3/14 1:18 PM
jasonhightower
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I farted once without shitting my pants... it's the little victories that add up.

8/3/14 1:29 PM
raleigh

First Bjj class, instructor told me to come back for the beginner class. I said no, I've been traneing judo. Smashed some blues, entered my first tourny that week and medaled got my blue soon after. This was in the 90's when judo was still tough and Bjj wasn't too sophisticated.
8/3/14 7:32 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Broke my own nose once with a sweet knee to the face while trying to get some sort of deep half sweep going.
8/3/14 11:47 PM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First time i survived against my instructor without being mentally broken during the roll. He grew up a wrestler and also a judoka and ran our team with a very spartan-esque mentallity. Biggest high ive ever had at a class knowing the worst days were behind me.
8/4/14 4:44 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Mancuso - 
The Mat Pimp -

Coming on a forum to "brag" about a training victory is not only weak but also somewhat delusional.

Yes you are. The whole point of this forum is to discuss training and training experiences. The rule is about not talking about who you tap to avoid bad feelings.
8/5/14 4:42 PM
TeamRenzo

Is it possible to have an epic victory in training?
8/5/14 6:35 PM
Josh Mancuso

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
The Mat Pimp - 
Josh Mancuso - 
The Mat Pimp -

Yes you are. The whole point of this forum is to discuss training and training experiences. The rule is about not talking about who you tap to avoid bad feelings.

okee dokee, may your training victories bring you much happiness. 

I recomend trying to validate yourself in competition over training.

8/5/14 6:48 PM
tswanson223

judodoc - Trane, unless you're joking, you are a complete idiot.
Bro do you not trane ufc? Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 11:41 PM
misterw
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeamRenzo - Is it possible to have an epic victory in training?

Why not? I would expect many important milestones of technique or execution to be reached in training. Finally being able to pass someone's guard who you could never before pass, finally being able to sweep someone with a certain move… of course these are important mini victories on the path. Why do we have to pretend they are not?
8/6/14 4:33 AM
thebisket
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have my black belt in hap-Ki-do and I joined a bjj class for a couple of months.
I must say I was very happy to put a white belt on. My instructor challenged me to put someone in a wrist lock and tap them out. I did and then stood up and said "hap-Ki-Do rules" like my instructor wanted to. It was pretty funny ! Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 6:30 AM
PepperUK
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Popeye - My best moment was when rolling with Marcello Garcia.

I was a brown belt at the time, he put me on my back and was on top cross body.

I managed to get out and to turtle position then he tried to trap my arm and I rolled him over onto his back. He had my arm trapped between but I was not worried. Then he arm barred me.......

I went several years thinking Damn I was doing good till he caught me with that tricky ass arm bar then one day I am going through videos on Youtube and I find the following.
Lol VU Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 10:27 AM
ChickenSalad

"of course these are important mini victories on the path. Why do we have to pretend they are not?"

I've really never understood this either.

there are people who go as hard in training as they do in an official competition.

tapping one of these people in training when they are trying to take your arm home would indeed be a victory, and i'm not sure why some people are so dead set on pretending that nothing that happens outside of a competition "counts".
8/7/14 3:14 PM
misterw

ChickenSalad - "of course these are important mini victories on the path. Why do we have to pretend they are not?"

I've really never understood this either.

there are people who go as hard in training as they do in an official competition.

tapping one of these people in training when they are trying to take your arm home would indeed be a victory, and i'm not sure why some people are so dead set on pretending that nothing that happens outside of a competition "counts".

I suspect a lot of that comes from the belt system.

When a visible rank is put on people, then it suddenly becomes very important to the ego not to "lose" to anyone who is ranked lower. A blue or purple is going to make damn sure that they don't "lose" to a white belt. "Losing" to someone of similar rank -- not such a big deal. However, that can make rolling very stressful. If you see losing to someone of lower rank as a big deal, and something that must be avoided, you will be put in a situation where you have numerous MUST WIN rolls every day.

That is not fun. So, the choice is a) simply never get beaten by a lower rank (difficult and stressful), or b) develop a culture where if an upper belt "loses" it doesn't count because it is just training, the upper belt must have been trying a new technique, the upper belt was letting the lower belt work, etc.

From personal experience, I didn't see this sort of thing in wrestling (where there are no belts) training. If a perceived better wrestler was taken down by a perceived lesser wrestler, it didn't have to be because the better guy let him. It didn't seem to have as much drama around it. Sometimes a lesser wrestler has one move really well developed. Sometimes people are having a bad day. And "losing" to someone "beneath" you doesn't negate all your progress to that point.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.