UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Just for GaspareBJJ- Re: Marcelo

8/7/14 7:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he starts wearing turned uo shorts and wearing TOMS I'm fucking quitting this sport.
8/7/14 7:57 AM
FatFrenchFry
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone told me his books are out of print, if this is true, will he be releasing more?
8/7/14 8:36 AM
Drew Foster
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FatFrenchFry - Someone told me his books are out of print, if this is true, will he be releasing more?

The first two books honestly cover most of his game, at least all the structure of it, and his focus is pretty heavy on MGinaction.com. Considering that Victory Belt isn't really doing martial arts books anymore, and nothing is planned with Marcelo Garcia for a third book, I wouldn't expect one anytime soon. I liked that last one though. Josh Waitzkin's intro/forward was especially awesome.
8/7/14 8:42 AM
Nebuchadnezzar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying - i've been dying to ask marcelo this question for many years!!

it's clear that marcelo consistently figures out the simplest & most effective ways to excel at grappling. if tomorrow there was suddenly a rule where no chokes were allowed, i'm sure he'd evolve using some other type of strategy.

i've always seen his game as things like single-legged x, x-guard, insane back control... not so much on the arm triangles/darce..

my question: if he were training people for MMA, how would he change his game? would it basically be the same?

i've heard people say that marcelo has commented saying that single-legged x could in fact be used in MMA, but i'm guessing he would minimize that and focus on other things.

eddie bravo is constantly saying "when was the last time you saw a choke in mma?"... what's marcelo's opinion on the best grappling strategy?
8/7/14 10:17 AM
ChickenSalad

1. How does someone at Marcelo's level add new stuff to his game? Does he just start trying something new consistently (it looks like he briefly played around with both footlocks and 50/50 a while back on MGinaction, but only in a couple vids), or does he set aside time to play around specifically with new counters/attackes outside of normal class?

2. Marcelo's game appears to be very dynamic and movement-based; how does he think his game will change as he ages? Does he experiment with the "jiu-jitsu by inches" we see from a lot of older, heavier guys?
8/7/14 11:34 AM
FatFrenchFry
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChickenSalad - 1. How does someone at Marcelo's level add new stuff to his game? Does he just start trying something new consistently (it looks like he briefly played around with both footlocks and 50/50 a while back on MGinaction, but only in a couple vids), or does he set aside time to play around specifically with new counters/attackes outside of normal class?

2. Marcelo's game appears to be very dynamic and movement-based; how does he think his game will change as he ages? Does he experiment with the "jiu-jitsu by inches" we see from a lot of older, heavier guys?
Voted up for skills in questioning Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 4:42 PM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome questions guys.

I will try to get to them, but I can't guarantee it! But I will try my best.

I will prob just make a seperate thread on this forum...I def won't shoot a video interviewing him.

8/8/14 5:34 PM
xSledgeHammax

Ask him how long has he been training Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 8:34 PM
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken or Ryu?
8/10/14 7:18 PM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gimp - Ken or Ryu?

He has played videogames in the past (GTA fan)- but I dont think he plays Street Fighter.
8/10/14 7:19 PM
kying418

xSledgeHammax - Ask him how long has he been training Phone Post 3.0

I think he's 32 now- started BJJ training at 13 years old.
17 days ago
FatFrenchFry

Did an interview end up being published on the web from these questions?
17 days ago
kying418

Sorry -I only got to spend a few days with Marcelo, and since he was still in pain from his ACL surgery, I didnt want to bother him with too many BJJ questions.

But I'll get back to you guys on this!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.