UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Training with your spouse

8/2/14 4:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ilovetortillas
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Do any of you train with your significant others? How is the dynamic? Who had more base knowledge? Do you have more or less patience with them than other people? Any advice?

As an FYI, my fiancé is my coach. I'm just curious to see how everybody else interacts with their partners. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 4:54 PM
youarewhatiswrong
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to make the old "What's his name" joke, then realized that we live in a new age, and that your fiance and coach could totally be a him, and that I'm living in the past.

So what's his name?
8/2/14 5:06 PM
ilovetortillas
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!!

Jose Angel Llanas with Team Tooke in Houston Texas.

:) Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 5:23 PM
youarewhatiswrong
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn it! You're a chick!

I mean. . .

What's her name?
8/2/14 5:29 PM
ilovetortillas

Haha!! My name is Missy Estrada. I've been on the forum for years and I am a mod. I thought everybody knew I'm a girl, but I don't really go around announcing it. :) Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 9:44 PM
ECM
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been trying to get her to try it for years but no dice. In all honesty though it'd probably shit me more than anything Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 10:55 PM
Mike Wazowski
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my wife did when we were dating/living together.

she was good too. natural athlete. she quit after a year to get back into the typical gym stuff. running, some resistance training, etc.

she wasn't gung ho about it but she did do it for a year.

it was fine w/ me. no issues.
8/2/14 11:14 PM
Meatgrinder
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA

in bed.... She has no idea.

8/3/14 12:12 AM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She kneed me in the nuts, hard.
8/3/14 12:22 AM
Josh Mancuso
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
Thank god she's not there. This is my happy place Phone Post 3.0
8/3/14 12:25 AM
youarewhatiswrong

Josh Mancuso - Thank god she's not there. This is my happy place Phone Post 3.0

8/3/14 3:49 AM
Evil_Salto

I took my fiancé in to train for a few times and it took so much convincing. I had to buy her a Gi and nice new rashies. Which I don't mind by the way I love buying her that stuff because I couldn't wait for her to get into it and have a roll.

But one training session she came along I got a little carried away in the roll and say on her a little hard. Since then she has never come back and been dirty about it ever since and that was a long time ago. I'm hoping to get her back into it with my brand new daughter sometime in the near future. Phone Post 3.0
8/3/14 7:39 AM
deepu
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Montreal, QC
My wife trains. Almost made it to blue belt then she got too pregnant. She plans on coming back. We work well together and once the little one is old enough, family training will be awesome. Jiu jitsu used to be my happy place too but sharing it is amazing. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 5:59 PM
UGCTT_The Project
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My GF started training with my school about 2 years ago. About 8 months ago, I became the coach. I had about 7 years ahead of her. The dynamic hadn't really changed much, because she was already used to me working with her before I was the coach. She also came into Thai class before jits, and I am a coach in that class as well.

Actually it has helped my growth as a coach. She is 5'3 and 110 lbs. she helps me with insight into teaching smaller people. I have to help find ways to modify some techniques to work. That has helped as we have added more females.

Downside... She is trying to rip my arm off.

Competitive fucker. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 8:51 PM
js138
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife just got her second stripe on her white belt and I just got my blue in the same week.

We love going to class together, though depending on the move, can sometimes be tough with the size difference.

Im clumsy as fuck though and end up hurting her like once a week in terms of accidental knees and elbows. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 8:56 PM
SC MMA MD
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife trained for about a year, starting a little while before I got my blue belt. It was her idea, but she never seemed really committed to it, so I was not real surprised when she decided to stop. Training with her went fine, I worked with her just like I would any other beginner. Now that both of our kids are training, she has started to mention coming back. I hope she does, but I have no plans to push her to train again Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 9:11 PM
The Mat Pimp
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been training 17 years, married 13 years, she has never even seen me train. "Don't cross the streams, Ray."
8/7/14 9:30 PM
BTTMike

Only once with a girl who I've been on and off with for over 2 years. She is certifiable of course. She trained at another gym for a while. When I met her she was already a Blue.

All I can say is never again. Jiu Jitsu is my escape, it's my sanctuary where I go to be myself away from my girl.

I dated a couple other Jiu Jitsu chicks as well in the past. Let's just say there is a certain type that goes along with it. Again, never again. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 1:09 AM
Magic Mago
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife tried it out twice, said she loved it so I bought her a gi...she never came back. Phone Post
8/8/14 1:11 AM
Magic Mago
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Magic Mago - My wife tried it out twice, said she loved it so I bought her a gi...she never came back. Phone Post
She did used to let me do drill at home w her...until I accidentally kicked her in the face. Phone Post
8/8/14 1:23 AM
Brad Maddox
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Lafayette, IN
My wife has been training at my academy for 2yrs. My son also trains. It brought our family closer Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 2:00 AM
Metal Box Combatives
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 2:01 AM
Metal Box Combatives
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Magic Mago -
Magic Mago - My wife tried it out twice, said she loved it so I bought her a gi...she never came back. Phone Post
She did used to let me do drill at home w her...until I accidentally kicked her in the face. Phone Post
Gold Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 2:06 AM
Kway
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was married for about 7 years when my wife decided to try it out. We've been married for 12 years now and she's still training. She's a 4 stripe blue . She may have been a purple by now but she is currently pregnant.

Her biggest gripe about being pregnant is not being able to train. Phone Post 3.0
8/13/14 4:10 PM
Mark Hunter
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife and I both train together and actively compete. I'm a two stripe blue belt, and she's a one stripe . . . but will probably catch me before we get promoted to purple belt.

It's pretty competitive, because she's mad strong for a female. If I start out trying to be too polite, I'll end up getting choked.

She gets pissed because, many times she's about to pass guard or otherwise score, I'll start tickling her and she can't stand it. She has slapped me pretty hard right on the mats before. It's a blast, and definitely has helped us as a couple.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.