UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Breaking Posture in Closed Guard

8/2/14 6:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
juanderlei
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to break someone's posture when controlling them in closed guard. Oftentimes "climbing" their lapel with both hands doesn't work unless it's against a smaller opponent. Today someone showed me how they use a Muay Thai-like clinch to control their opponent's head, then push it to one side before setting up an attack. That seemed to work.

Any other tips would be appreciated! Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 7:10 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 7:21 PM
GrendelX
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you laying flat on your back and trying to pull them down? If so this is a common problem with beginners. Get your butt off the mat, go to them. Look for underhooks and over hooks. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 7:24 PM
GrendelX
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0
Also solid advice. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 8:20 PM
juanderlei
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow... Good advice Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 8:24 PM
juanderlei

GrendelX - Are you laying flat on your back and trying to pull them down? If so this is a common problem with beginners. Get your butt off the mat, go to them. Look for underhooks and over hooks. Phone Post 3.0
Also good advice, thank you Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 8:55 PM
Hywel Teague
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, Jiu-Jitsu TV
MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0

This x10000.

Forget the guy's name but a Rickson BB posted a video of this exact thing a while back and it is MONEY
8/2/14 9:04 PM
Meatgrinder
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA

Here's another idea that's very effective, yet simple and so overlooked.

8/2/14 9:08 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague -
MTH - Squeeze your knees together and pull your heels toward their butt, then use your legs to pull them over toward you. The collar is secondary. JMHO. Phone Post 3.0

This x10000.

Forget the guy's name but a Rickson BB posted a video of this exact thing a while back and it is MONEY
Yep--Jack Taufer. He a Liam Reskenov (sp?) the Australian BB have similar vids on it.

They also posted related vids on RETAINING posture while in guard.

Both approaches have completely changed my closed guard game. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/14 9:14 PM
juanderlei

Meatgrinder -

Here's another idea that's very effective, yet simple and so overlooked.

Voted up Meatgrinder... thanks for the video... Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 1:03 AM
Rumblefish
414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
8/5/14 2:34 AM
ozjiujitsu
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought the Shaun Williams app. Part one is awesome. Goes through lots of ways to break posture by getting the over hook and creating angle. I use this a ton. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 4:53 AM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/05/14 4:53 AM
Timing is a major issue with the closed guard that often isn't spoken of. One of the best ways to break someone's posture is to wait until they attempt to set up a guard break, or stand. There's a split second that they commit their weight forward. It greatly reduces the effort and makes for an almost perfect posture break a majority of the time.
8/6/14 3:34 AM
Jack Taufer
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Costa Mesa, CA
MTH -
Hywel Teague -

This x10000.

Yep--Jack Taufer. He a Liam Reskenov (sp?) the Australian BB have similar vids on it.

Nice! Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 8:54 AM
MTH

Jack Taufer -
MTH -
Hywel Teague -

This x10000.

Nice! Phone Post 3.0
It's a lesson I literally use almost every mat session, so thanks for it! :) Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 9:15 AM
A_Butler

Aside from timing, angles are a big part of breaking posture. I think people often forget to use the legs, and then when they use them, it's in only one direction. Pull AND push with your legs. And pull at angles, not just straight down all the time. There are so many different ways and directions you can use your legs to rock someone's base and posture. Once you've figured all that out, the timing comes into play. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 9:59 AM
juanderlei

Jack Taufer -
MTH -
Hywel Teague -

This x10000.

Nice! Phone Post 3.0
Jack - would you be willing to post a link to the video or provide information on where it can be purchased? Thanks in advance Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 10:12 AM
juanderlei

Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

http://youtu.be/l4J5J2xfJNI Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 10:13 AM
MTH

juanderlei - Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

That's the one. 

8/6/14 11:23 AM
Jack Taufer
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

juanderlei - Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

Hit me up on this thread if you can't figure it out from the video. I have been getting better at teaching it lately. There is one that pedro sauer does that's a slight variation. And henry akins has one but if the guy gets one let up. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 11:27 AM
juanderlei

Jack Taufer -
juanderlei - Just found this Jack Taufer video on breaking posture and it's awesome. Can't wait to start the journey to figuring this out tonight.

Hit me up on this thread if you can't figure it out from the video. I have been getting better at teaching it lately. There is one that pedro sauer does that's a slight variation. And henry akins has one but if the guy gets one let up. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks Jack!

If you don't want to post it that's cool, but do you have an email address I could reach you at? Would love to try to set something up with you in the future to drill this in person. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 11:32 AM
Jack Taufer

I don't mind posting it... I thought you didn't. Lol. Where do you live? Jacktaufer@gmail.com Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 11:39 AM
Jack Taufer

This Week in BJJ Episode 39 invisible Jiu Jitsu w…: http://youtu.be/EyirS2raUww

Issue 19: Invisible Jiu-Jitsu - Using Your Weight…: http://youtu.be/55FjKpLY3Is

Keeping your Opponent Grounded in BJJ with Pedro …: http://youtu.be/_i2U1-D2U5c

All are in essence very simular. You are transferring your weight onto your opponent while on the bottom.

I also just did a new Budo Video yesterday and showed something else from the bottom I picked up from both David Kama and Henry Akins. It's basic but it also is breaking posture while applying the triangle. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/14 7:31 PM
Mark Hunter
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/10/14 7:33 PM
Thanks to OP and all who contributed. I have a lot of problems with this.
8/10/14 11:36 PM
juanderlei

Mark Hunter - Thanks to OP and all who contributed. I have a lot of problems with this.
My pleasure man, voted up. The biggest thing I've gotten out of this thread is the exposure to Jack Taufer's instruction of invisible Jiu-Jitsu fundamentals from the closed guard. I'm planning to schedule some time to train with him and would suggest you do the same if you're ever in SoCal. I competed in a tournament this weekend and, while far from perfect, I tried using some of his basics and was able to maintain a dominant position on two of my three opponents. Can't wait to work with him in person to develop these skills further. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.