UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Books for BJJ, not necessarily about BJJ

8/5/14 11:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChangoBravo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My approach to Jiu Jitsu is much more science than art. I think of it in terms of fulcrums, and angles and vectors, and applied force. I also love teaching the art/science of jiu jitsu.

Lately I have been doing more reading of books that can be applied to Jiu Jitsu, that are not necessarily about Jiu Jitsu. Math and physics books, logic and philosophy, teaching and learning styles, etc.

Has anyone found some good books that they would like to recommend? Something off the beaten track, more esoteric, than regular jiu jitsu "how to" books?

I'd love to do some more reading on my Summer break.

Chango
8/5/14 12:33 PM
vegard
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awareness Through Movement by Moshe Feldenkrais
8/5/14 12:37 PM
Tarado Safado
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/05/14 12:37 PM
Black Belt, Canada

This is what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.ca/The-Secrets-Judo-Instructors-Students/dp/080481631X

8/5/14 1:43 PM
ChipW
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Waitzkin, The Art of Learning

8/5/14 3:47 PM
The Gimp
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/05/14 3:47 PM
The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance

Seriously.

Will change not only the way you play your game, but the way you coach / help training partners / drill as well.
8/5/14 4:41 PM
omoplautistic
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Edmonton, AB
The Gimp - The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance

Seriously.

Will change not only the way you play your game, but the way you coach / help training partners / drill as well.
I second this one big time.

Also, "zen and the art of archery" (can't remember the author off hand), and "mastery" by George Leonard. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 4:43 PM
omoplautistic
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Edmonton, AB
Oh and "effortless combat throws" by Tim Cartmell. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 8:26 PM
Ubiquitous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere- Oscar Ratti. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 9:10 PM
Hywel Teague
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, Jiu-Jitsu TV
ChipW -

Josh Waitzkin, The Art of Learning

I came here to post this Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 10:02 PM
Meatgrinder
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA

http://www.amazon.com/Newtonian-Mechanics-M-I-T-Introductory-Physics/dp/0393099709/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407290517&sr=8-4&keywords=physics+mechanics

just kiddin'... sort of.

8/5/14 10:11 PM
flemingo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

book of five rings
delaviers mixed martial arts anatomy
8/5/14 10:28 PM
Angelo Popofski
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Walled Lake, MI
"Zen in the Martial Arts" and "A Fighter's Mind". Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 2:24 AM
omoplautistic

Black Belt, Edmonton, AB
Ubiquitous - Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere- Oscar Ratti. Phone Post 3.0
Oh ya this too. KILLER book for any martial art. I'll third or fourth art of learning too. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 2:08 PM
ChangoBravo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tarado Safado - 

This is what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.ca/The-Secrets-Judo-Instructors-Students/dp/080481631X

Thanks. I have that one, and it is excellent. I recently recommended it to Kit Dale.

Chango
8/6/14 2:12 PM
ChangoBravo

Meatgrinder - 

http://www.amazon.com/Newtonian-Mechanics-M-I-T-Introductory-Physics/dp/0393099709/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407290517&sr=8-4&keywords=physics+mechanics

just kiddin'... sort of.

As an undergrad I doubled in Bio-Chem and Physics. I'm familiar with French's work.

It's a good time.

Just kiddin'... sort of.

Chango
8/6/14 2:15 PM
ChangoBravo

The Gimp - The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance

Seriously.

It had only occurred to me to read books on learning in general. I didn't think to read about methods in other sports.

Great idea. Thanks. I'll definitely check it out...

Chango
8/6/14 8:01 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/14 8:03 PM
I always hear that BJJ is about flow and connection, so that's what I've been reading up on...these are the last two books I've read.

'Flow' by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

It's about adjusting your goals to create an appropriate challenge, and finding your optimal performance. There's also a book called 'Flow in Sports' that he co-wrote, which is pretty good.

'Daring Greatly' by Brene' Brown

Excellent read about the power of acknowledging vulnerabilities and using vulnerability to establish connection. Very psychological, but it's extremely applicable to physical and psychological connection with your training partners and opponents.
8/6/14 8:29 PM
shen
1049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Torrance, CA

This... The New Toughness Training for Sports. It's largely about mental/ emotional side of things. 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/378339.The_New_Toughness_Training_for_Sports?from_search=true

8/6/14 11:17 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for that vid Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 12:02 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 

This... The New Toughness Training for Sports. It's largely about mental/ emotional side of things. 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/378339.The_New_Toughness_Training_for_Sports?from_search=true

Great book.

One of my favorite books from a legendary human being:

Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court

8/13/14 2:43 PM
ChangoBravo

Some really great suggestions here. Thank you guys.

Chango
8/13/14 4:15 PM
RylanLester
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The talent code and perfect practice are good ones Phone Post 3.0
8/14/14 5:29 AM
thebjjprofessor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

art of war

zen habits

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.