UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> How did you figure out your game?

8/5/14 5:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris Leben is a Zombie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I kind of am tinkering with different games (guard) trying to figure out what works best for me. How did you guys come across what works and what doesn't? Im sure certain guards are easier for certain body types etc.
8/5/14 5:53 PM
omoplautistic
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Edmonton, AB
By never quitting. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 6:32 PM
Josh Mancuso

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA

Trial and error.

8/5/14 6:38 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Josh Mancuso -

Trial and error.

How long did you attempt something before moving on? What belt were you and what did you use to determine to move on? Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 6:51 PM
Widdomaker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take a look at some successful BJJ guys (Preferably at your gym) and try what they are doing.

For me, I was well into blue belt when I started mimicking what a teammate was doing. He was about my size, way more talented and was killing it on the tournament scene with the same game every time. I started learning his game and found it worked well for me so I stuck with it. I didnt mimic it 100% but took a large part of it.
8/5/14 7:00 PM
Seul
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt for more advice (I'm at this point too). Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 7:28 PM
Meatgrinder
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Newton, MA

You attempt subs, sweeps, etc. Some of these are just setups some are just really well defended. Then there's a point where you can say that things started going wrong. You always want to improve those things that are just stone defended and re-evaluate the setups, but there's a shift in roles of predator and prey.

A lot of this depends upon the feedback from your partner... If you are telegraphing or overcompensating...then work on the technique a bit.

When did that predator/prey shift start taking place? (when you think so, might be different than the feedback from your partner)

Look at who's doing this to you?...Is it just one person's game? Is it all big guys? Fast guys? Tall guys?...

What adjustment details can you make to this particular position/transition/etc?

Should you just avoid this particular pos/transition/etc against someone who plays this game or has that body type? Look at your decision tree that got you there.

What's the earliest indication from my training partner that lets me know that he's going into this problematic counter, so that I can react accordingly?

8/5/14 7:30 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trial and error. Then one day Sean Apperson sat me down and said, "Close your guard and get really good at hip bump sweeps, waiter sweeps, triangles and cross chokes."
8/5/14 7:36 PM
Muffinho
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eventually just ended up playing the game I was taught, but added in a few techniques that I thought looked cool.

I will be changing my game slowly over the next year or two because my goals have now changed.
8/5/14 7:38 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for a good read. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 7:57 PM
dokomoy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Find a position/technique you like, it can be one you're having success with(though it doesn't necessarily have to be) or just something you think looks "cool" or "fits your game" or whatever and stick with it for a few months. Drill it as much as possible and try to use it whenever you can in training. If after a month or two you decide what you've been working on isn't for you than move onto something else, the biggest thing is you give yourself time to learn the position, don't be the guy who decides they're going to learn spider guard and stops using it for a week because he hasn't learned how to control the position yet and people are passing his guard left and right
8/5/14 10:54 PM
GaspareBJJ
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dokomoy - Find a position/technique you like, it can be one you're having success with(though it doesn't necessarily have to be) or just something you think looks "cool" or "fits your game" or whatever and stick with it for a few months. Drill it as much as possible and try to use it whenever you can in training. If after a month or two you decide what you've been working on isn't for you than move onto something else, the biggest thing is you give yourself time to learn the position, don't be the guy who decides they're going to learn spider guard and stops using it for a week because he hasn't learned how to control the position yet and people are passing his guard left and right
Voted up, cool post. I've just started messing with butterfly unsuccessfully and I just about gave up until I read this post Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 10:56 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

dokomoy - Find a position/technique you like, it can be one you're having success with(though it doesn't necessarily have to be) or just something you think looks "cool" or "fits your game" or whatever and stick with it for a few months. Drill it as much as possible and try to use it whenever you can in training. If after a month or two you decide what you've been working on isn't for you than move onto something else, the biggest thing is you give yourself time to learn the position, don't be the guy who decides they're going to learn spider guard and stops using it for a week because he hasn't learned how to control the position yet and people are passing his guard left and right
Wouldn't it be fair to also say different body types simply don't work with certain games Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 11:19 PM
Matthieu Battle
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i play what feels the most fun for me when it works. for my gward this is butterfly and half. hitting sweeps from those positions just feel awesome to me.

i use other stuff, but hitting a steering wheel kickover from DLR doesn't inspire me. not that i won't go for it if that's what my partner is offering, but i don't get warm fuzzies. and my training is entirely about making me feel awesome, like there's a badass soundtrack playing in my head.
8/5/14 11:49 PM
dokomoy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Leben is a Zombie - 
Wouldn't it be fair to also say different body types simply don't work with certain games Phone Post 3.0

Of course. In theory though you wouldn't choose to experiment with a game that didn't fit your body though right? It doesn't make sense for the dude who can't invert to try and learn berimbolo or if you have super short/stocky legs you wouldn't spend all your time triangleing people. I do think it's worth mentioning that even if some games are considered a "big persons game" or a "small persons game" or a "game for long legged people" or whatever else most positions can still be used by people outside of the group a position is supposedly best for(Cobrinha is short but has a great spider guard, Leo Santos is tall but has a great butterfly, Cyborg and Buchecha are big but still are great at inverted positions and so on).

In any case, nothing that I said was a hard and fast rule - the point of it was that it's important to give yourself a chance to really learn something before you discard it, but if you feel like you have some sort of physical limitation I don't see any point in beating your head against the wall.
8/5/14 11:56 PM
Marion Cobretti
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Palm Beach, FL
Once I learned that an effective guard is the ability to get off your back. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 2:02 AM
ColeMillerATT
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still trying to find mine. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 8:25 AM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matthieu Battle - i play what feels the most fun for me when it works. for my gward this is butterfly and half. hitting sweeps from those positions just feel awesome to me.

i use other stuff, but hitting a steering wheel kickover from DLR doesn't inspire me. not that i won't go for it if that's what my partner is offering, but i don't get warm fuzzies. and my training is entirely about making me feel awesome, like there's a badass soundtrack playing in my head.
Awesome Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 8:28 AM
Josh Mancuso

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
Chris Leben is a Zombie -
Josh Mancuso -

Trial and error.

How long did you attempt something before moving on? What belt were you and what did you use to determine to move on? Phone Post 3.0
Varies, I'm still figuring out my game Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 9:24 AM
Christophr

This is like asking someone how they figured out their handwriting. You just do it.
8/6/14 10:09 AM
Setree
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just keep showing up.

Trust your instructor. And if you don't trust your instructor, find a new instructor.

Work on your weaknesses.

Rise to your greatest potential. You don't want to beat blue belts today or tomorrow; one day, you want to crush good blackbelts.
8/6/14 10:31 AM
raleigh

Its called trane.
8/6/14 10:40 AM
jasonhightower
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ColeMillerATT - Still trying to find mine. Phone Post 3.0

Ha, whatever!  Just finished watching TUF 5 again, you got plenty of game.

8/6/14 10:42 AM
jasonhightower
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every tournament I do I seem to find a hole in my game that I thought I was pretty good at.  Then I work that area furiously for several weeks to try and get rid of that hole as much as I can.  I'm still very early in the journey though, so I love the advice on here.

8/6/14 10:44 AM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I noticed the stuff I was doing over and over again, and having success with, especially against bigger people. Then I just kept doing it. At this point I'm removing more than I am adding... trying to get to the very minimum of what is required for movement to be perfectly effective.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.