UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Does Galvao deserve more credit?

8/6/14 8:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shark tank
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the first Metamoris, Galvao was in a no win situation. He either tapped Ryron or it would be considered a "loss."

He then agrees to grapple in the same event against a big name, high level wrestler that he "should" beat quite easily. If he doesn't, again, people will consider it more of a win for Chael.

This event is stacking the odds against Galvao, but he continues to step up and take the matches. He is competing under pretty much every rule set and winning at the highest levels.
8/6/14 8:29 AM
Josh Mancuso
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Baton Rouge, LA
I think he is pretty well respected as a competitor and leader of the best team in BJJ right now. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 8:38 AM
KidPittsburgh
1229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I came into this thread expecting to say 'No, I think he'd credited accurately.' But after reading your observation, I have to side with: Yes, he deserves more credit. I can't expand any more on what you said already, because those were some solid points about him going into no-win situations and still going.
8/6/14 9:14 AM
circusmonkey
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's got all my credit to give. Dude steps up to the plate under someone else's rules or conditions regardless of outcome. Crowds love to see him compete. I'm sure he's aware of this and ca say to himself "at least I was willing". The Renzo of BJJ.
8/6/14 9:22 AM
shark tank
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Mancuso - I think he is pretty well respected as a competitor and leader of the best team in BJJ right now. Phone Post 3.0

I agree that he is "well respected" just as other high level, IBJJF competitors.

The difference is, Galvao is going beyond what most others are doing. Others have competed at Metamoris, but with the same circumstances. If you look at guys like Otavio and Braulio's matches, they were not having the same expectations put on them.

Many people, if put in the same situation Galvao was put in Metamoris 1, would not have gone back and competed at that event. Not only is Galvao going back, he has entered into a match that has the same expectations as the first.

I always respected Galvao, but as I thought more about this last night, my respect for him grew.
8/6/14 9:31 AM
A_Butler
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to mention he was a hell of an MMA fighter as well. Dude is a just a competitor. He competes no matter what and at the highest level. I've got loads of respect for guys with that attitude. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 11:39 AM
onyx2002
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loads of credit and respect due to Andre for all he has done and continues to do. The only thing that bothered me was his reaction after the Ryron match. He knew how it was going to go from the jump no reason to be upset. Apart from that he seems like a good dude with lots to offer the BJJ world
8/6/14 11:48 AM
Jordan Tabor

Black Belt, Cambridge, MA
He just entered the grapplers quest olympics, so we'll get to see what's up soon.
8/6/14 11:48 AM
raleigh

so what kind of chance does sonnen have?

to answer op, I don't think andre is NOT given credit??
8/6/14 11:59 AM
Ryan Prouty
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Peoria, IL

Seems like the type of dude that will compete any where, any time, against anyone. multiple time world champ and beaten or even submitted the whos who of the BJJ world. He will go down as one fo the greatest ever for sure.

8/6/14 11:59 AM
Jordan Tabor

Is he fighting Sonnen or Coture now?
8/6/14 2:32 PM
BTTMike

Jordan Tabor - He just entered the grapplers quest olympics, so we'll get to see what's up soon.
My god shut up already man. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:06 PM
Jordan Tabor

Chill out dude, I'm discussing jiujitsu like everyone else. Galvao is about to compete, so we'll have a chance to see him in action. If people seriously think he's on a decline, it will show. If he's on point, it will show.
8/8/14 2:40 AM
TexDeuce
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jordan Tabor - Is he fighting Sonnen or Coture now?
DanTheWolfman is stepping in for Chael with the NSAC issues going on. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the favorite against Galvao. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 4:31 AM
pray for japan

Jordan Tabor - He just entered the grapplers quest olympics, so we'll get to see what's up soon.
grapplers quest olympics? whats that? Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 10:44 PM
thebasher

onyx2002 - Loads of credit and respect due to Andre for all he has done and continues to do. The only thing that bothered me was his reaction after the Ryron match. He knew how it was going to go from the jump no reason to be upset. Apart from that he seems like a good dude with lots to offer the BJJ world
Everyone else was upset and I think he was entitled to be Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.