UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Triple H, Stephanie McMahon: UFC not Competition

8/6/14 11:54 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The UFC prides itself on being "as real as it gets." In a recent interview, the WWE's Triple H and Stephanie McMahon said that is the league's problem, and why the UFC is not a competitor for the WWE.

"With UFC you can pay money to watch a pay-per-view and it can be a terrible fight. Right?" argued McMahon as transcribed by Keith Harris for CageSideSeats. "The guy you were really rooting for that UFC has been building as a star gets knocked right off and suddenly that person doesn't really matter anymore and all that investment is lost. You never have that with WWE. We strategically build all of our Superstars and characters and we know when they are going to win and we know when they are going to lose. Uh, we do! [audience laughs]

"And we build characters and make them these megastars, it's all very intentional and you're guaranteed to get your money's worth. It might not necessarily be the outcome you want, but you're guaranteed to have a great match, to have a great pay-per-view and you're guaranteed to be entertained."

McMahon's husband and WWE Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events & Creative Triple H (real name Terra Ryzing) offered further detail.

"They aren't really a competitor to us and I explain this to our talent this way in the Performance Center and every time I say it people will say to me oh, that made it very clear for me," began Triple H. "People like UFC, they like boxing, but it's completely different from what we are. We are like the movie Rocky. We're a story. We're a great story that just happens to take place sometimes in the wrestling ring, so if you think about us less of Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match which you'll watch one time and on pay-per-view and then once that fight's over it's kind of done, you know, and you're really not going to go back and watch it a bunch of times unless you're a connoisseur of boxing science, you're gonna watch it one time. But Rocky the movie you will watch over and over and over again. It's the story, it's the characters. Boxing is irrelevant to the movie really. It's a triumph story, it's a love story, it's all those things and that's what we do.

"We create characters that you gravitate towards, that you connect with, that you passionately engage with, you believe in on a visceral level, whether you hate them or love them. We put them in unique storylines with creative passions and good guys and bad guys and the drama and sometimes love throws. We were married and divorced once on TV long before we did it for real, you know? It was a dry run, that's why it works so well, we got it out of our system. Y

"You have all those components, but that's what makes us so successful and at the end of the day that's what makes the Network successful because while a sport, who is gonna go back to watch the Superbowl from '84? Yeah, right, unless you're a massive technical football fan! Or who's gonna go back and watch boxing from five years ago, you're not, or UFC, it's the same thing, it's the same component.

"But our product is evergreen, because its the characters and the stories that you engage in, that's what makes a passionate fan of the WWE and it's lifelong, because even if you move away from it, even if you become a lapsed fan, you get out of college, you don't have a lot of free time anymore, you get a job, you have kids, you do all those things, and now all of a sudden your kids start to watch, and you get on the Network and you start to watch the Attitude Era or the '80s, that Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior that you watched when you were a kid and all that emotion comes flooding back to you and it's something that you don't put down, that you don't walk away from, it's always there and it's very easy to get hooked back into it to watch it again."

So what do you think UG? Did you come to MMA from pro wrestling? Or is the thought impossible?

8/6/14 11:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CerronePoundsOnMeStrong
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well...they are correct. If the product was what it was in the late 90's I would disagree, but it's family friendly entertainment again like it was in the late 80's-early 90's. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:01 PM
Galanis
1242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/14 12:02 PM

I'm pretty sure at least half of the modern MMA fan base in America either were fans at one point or are still fans of pro wrestling. Especially with the fact TUF 1 used to come on right after RAW, and that was when the sport really took off. Now factor in all of the fans who came around when Brock was fighting (the UFC's peak popularity wise)... You have to think a ton of the fans are still WWE people.

However, I don't think the UFC is competition at all. People who like both are still going to watch both. It's not like they're going head to head. Maybe if a PPV is on the same weekend it'll skew sales for the WWE, but they're basically out of the PPV business now completely. So, no, they are not competition at all. Don't get me wrong, the UFC has certainly taken some of the WWE's fan base in the past 10 years, but as far as direct competition in 2014, nah.

8/6/14 12:05 PM
Festus
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at real name "Terra Ryzing" Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:06 PM
Sofa King Cool
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hahaha at Terra Ryzing.

Pretty sure that his real name is Hunter Hearst Helmsley and he is a blue blood from Connecticut. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:07 PM
TheHebrewHammer
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FrankShamrocksBraces - Dear UG Blog,

Pretty sure his real name isn't Terra Ryzing. Phone Post 3.0
Pretty sure it's Paul Levesque. UG blog goofing again Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:08 PM
JOB
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC has been stealing WWF fans ever since Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn turned up, wrecking shit. Anybody remember to exhibition match between Shamrock and Vernon White in WWF?

OF course UFC is competition. It may not be direct competition, but it's certainly indirect competition. Once a kid hits 14 or 15 - they'll naturally migrate over to something that's more real.
8/6/14 12:16 PM
Bendos Toothpick
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I died at real name "Terra Ryzing" Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:17 PM
shaqitup
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is true.

If you like pro wrestling you know you ll get an entertaining event.

The issue is it s fake, which most people can't get past, basically a poorly acted soap opera involving gymnastics and props. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:19 PM
GROUNDnLB
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendos Toothpick - I died at real name "Terra Ryzing" Phone Post 3.0
Hahaha, so did I. Oh, UG news, you never fail to disappoint! Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:30 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What they are pretending to be unaware of, because they are both very smart people and are full well aware, is the fact that the UFC uses story to build fights and the best fights write their own story, a story that people DO go back and watch over and over again. Hendo vs Shogun I or II? Randy vs Tito? Hunt vs Bigfoot?

The story leading up to a fight gets viewers invested. It's all fighting right, guy 1 vs guy 2, but that doesn't move the needle. It's knowing about the fighter as a person, their story, the story leading into the fight that hooks us. If the fight pays off or not is where the UFC has a harder time with the payoff for the fan.

The truly epic stories, the ones that cross over into pop culture and great massive word of mouth are the big fights with a story lead in and an epic fight conclusion.
8/6/14 12:36 PM
Boon8
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Triple H is right about some things, wrong about others. There is definitely some overlap between UFC fans and WWE fans. That is, there are people who are fans of both, or like me, people who grew up wrestling fans, but are now MMA/UFC fans. For those who are fans of both, UFC and WWE are competitors, as they are competing for your finite PPV dollars. However, I do think that overlap is somewhat small, and so WWE and UFC's businesses aren't really threatened by each other. MMA is a real sport (although match making is often not solely based on merit, but exciting match ups), and more tailored for fight fans in general, whereas pro wrestling is pure entertainment, and more suited to kids and teens. WWE is like a weekly soap opera for boys and young men.

Triple H is wrong that people don't want to re-watch UFC fights. People (including myself) love re-watching the good fights, and that's why shows like UFC Wired exist. And just because the results are predetermined doesn't mean all WWE matches are entertaining or overly memorable, and that people love to go back and watch them.
8/6/14 12:38 PM
Galanis
1242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boon8 - Triple H is right about some things, wrong about others. There is definitely some overlap between UFC fans and WWE fans. That is, there are people who are fans of both, or like me, people who grew up wrestling fans, but are now MMA/UFC fans. For those who are fans of both, UFC and WWE are competitors, as they are competing for your finite PPV dollars. However, I do think that overlap is somewhat small, and so WWE and UFC's businesses aren't really threatened by each other. MMA is a real sport (although match making is often not solely based on merit, but exciting match ups), and more tailored for fight fans in general, whereas pro wrestling is pure entertainment, and more suited to kids and teens. WWE is like a weekly soap opera for boys and young men.

Triple H is wrong that people don't want to re-watch UFC fights. People (including myself) love re-watching the good fights, and that's why shows like UFC Wired exist. And just because the results are predetermined doesn't mean all WWE matches are entertaining or overly memorable, and that people love to go back and watch them.

Agreed. I love rewatching fights and studying different things over years past

8/6/14 12:42 PM
CANESHARP
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What idiot keeps asking them this question?

How would it be competition? It's competition if you're a moron I guess?

I love both. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:45 PM
CerronePoundsOnMeStrong
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I disagree with "we know how to build stars" because they clearly don't. Their booking and creative writing has been head scratching for years and years. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:52 PM
BW92
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sofa King Cool - Hahaha at Terra Ryzing.

Pretty sure that his real name is Hunter Hearst Helmsley and he is a blue blood from Connecticut. Phone Post 3.0
He's actually Paul Levesque from Nashua, NH Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:54 PM
Arse Face
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love watching old fights from 5 to 10 or even 20 years ago. I wouldn't watch a full football (soccer) game, maybe just the highlights of a good match.
8/6/14 12:57 PM
AustintheWolfe
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BW92 - 

I think he was joking.
8/6/14 12:59 PM
Koma
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anybody fact check or proof read the UG news? Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:01 PM
KidPittsburgh
1230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As long as they dont air programming on at the same time, it's not competition.
8/6/14 1:05 PM
HandyDarsh
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They aren't in competition, they are two completely different things...

The one thing they may be competing with the wwe for is Brock lesnar lmao

Whether the wwe sells more ppv"s than zuffa or not, neither business effects he other IMO.

You don't have to be a boxing fan or an mma fan, it is the same for wwe and UFC... Take them both for what they are Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:16 PM
Bobby Lupo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BW92 -

GTFO with that French name. Terra Ryzin Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:17 PM
Bobby Lupo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo -
BW92 -

GTFO with that French name. Terra Ryzin Phone Post 3.0
Levesque was that pirate guy from the 90s. Like a French Canadian pirate gimmick. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:18 PM
Sinjin
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Koma -

Does anybody fact check or proof read the UG news? Phone Post 3.0
At this point I'm convinced the UG Blog is just trolling us. Well played, UGB. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:22 PM
cool hand Ed
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no way the UG Blog has 1077 vote ups. GTFO with that shit. haha

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.