UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> USA's "Best Jiu-Jitsu Fighter" (wat)

8/6/14 1:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/26196353/champlain-minn-50-year-old-is-usas-best-jiu-jitsu-fighter

Local news just did a piece on a guy who runs a gym here named Jim Clark, calling him the best Jiu-Jitsu fighter in the nation, but the name isn't ringing a bell for anyone I know.

Champlin, Minn. 50-year-old is USA's best jiu-jitsu fighter

CHAMPLIN, Minn. (KMSP) -

By day, he's a grade school Spanish teacher -- but during his off time, a Champlin, Minn. man has become the best jiu-jitsu fighter in the nation and he got there by beating competitors who were much, much younger.

Winning a national jiu-jitsu title is a huge accomplishment at any age, but when he heads to the world championships in October, Jim Clark will be facing a bracket of about 100 of the world's best fighters -- many of whom are decades younger. Yet, Clark says his success has nothing to do with age. It's all about a state of mind.

According to the article, "Fox 9 News learned about Clark's story from a Facebook friend," which seems super weird.

I am not sure how to embed the video.
8/6/14 1:06 PM
Berserker
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Richmond, VA

In for this.

8/6/14 1:08 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The news bit also mentions that Jiu-Jitsu was "developed by samurai as a way to fight without weapons."

8/6/14 1:08 PM
PrettyBoy
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wat Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 1:09 PM
Tomato Can
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there some sort of traditional JJJ world championship in October? That's the only way I could see this even being remotely true.
8/6/14 1:11 PM
jasonhightower
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/14 1:13 PM

Starting to wonder if Fox9 just got trolled...

8/6/14 1:11 PM
DW
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - Is there some sort of traditional JJJ world championship in October? That's the only way I could see this even being remotely true.

thats my guess.  The news article probably should have used the 'jujutsu' spelling

8/6/14 1:15 PM
Galanis
787 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Yet another scam artist.

8/6/14 1:16 PM
2JupitersTooMany

In the video there is a shot of him standing on a NAGA platform. I'm trying to find him in the NAGA results sometime this year.

8/6/14 1:17 PM
DW
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/14 1:17 PM
DW - 
Tomato Can - Is there some sort of traditional JJJ world championship in October? That's the only way I could see this even being remotely true.

thats my guess.  The news article probably should have used the 'jujutsu' spelling

I just watched the vid and it actually is no-gi grappling, and claims he took first in an "expert" division with men much younger than him (so not a senior bracket).  It looks like a smaller NAGA qualifyer.  Not sure why he is being fluffed up as "nation's best"

8/6/14 1:23 PM
Alumynabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This dude is so full of shit. On his gyms website he is wearing a blue belt. Also, he said 100's of people were in his bracket. What a hack.
8/6/14 1:23 PM
jasonhightower
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know some of the Adult brackets get pretty big at IBJJF Worlds, but I don't see him falling into a bracket with "hundreds" of competitors, especially in NoGi.

8/6/14 1:24 PM
2JupitersTooMany

Here is an article on him from last year.  Sounds like he's had a lot of experince, just not clear on the "best in the USA deal." 

http://erstarnews.com/2012/03/23/fitness-marvel-jim-clark-switches-to-mixed-martial-arts-at-47-and-hes-beating-the-young-guys/

8/6/14 1:25 PM
2JupitersTooMany

I guess the question is whether he's legit, and he won some amazing NAGA event, or if he's a little self aggrandizing and like the idea of Fox puffing up a little regional victory.  It would be helpful to see the actual NAGA result to see what division he competed in and when.

8/6/14 1:26 PM
Tomato Can
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is some sort of Ju-Jitsu world championship in November but that's all I could find:

http://www.jjif.info/index.php?id=27
8/6/14 1:31 PM
2JupitersTooMany

He did write a book:

http://www.amazon.com/Platonic-Superman-Dr-James-Clark/dp/1450527671

The purpose of this book is to tell my spiritual journey and show how a metaphysical awareness gave me what may be considered superhuman strength. Powered by mystical transcendence, I have broken over 30 world records and performed amazing demonstrations of endurance and feats of strength. By focusing mainly on Platonic metaphysical ideas, I have been able to put myself in a proper mindset to alleviate fear, fatigue, pain, and doubt. Through a transcendental meditation connecting my soul (the energy that animates the body) to the demiurge or logos of the first principle(the energy that animates the universe) I have experienced feelings of euphoria and limitless power. I also discuss how my study of and attachment to Plato's cosmology has influenced my life for the better.

8/6/14 1:31 PM
2JupitersTooMany

About the Author

James Clark graduated from Elk River High School in 1983. He started his world record-breaking quest in 1987, breaking four different records over the next three years. In 1987 Clark did 2,001 parallel bar dips in 5 hours; in 1988 he did 33,001 push-ups in 24 hours; in 1989, he broke the world record for number of sit-ups in 24 hours, a record that still stands. The old record of 43,418 sit-ups was held by the Japanese World Record Breaker Ashrita Furman. Clark established a world record of 44,001 sit-ups in 24 hours. After breaking this world record he was invited to be a guest on The Late Show with David Letterman. Clark then broke the world record held by the legendary fitness celebrity Jack Lalanne, doing 1001 pull-ups and 1001 pushups in 1 hour and 17 minutes to break the 1000 pull-ups and 1000 push-up mark that Lalanne did in 1 hour and 22 minutes. Clark then took a hiatus from world record-breaking and went on to the university to study theology, philosophy (both ancient Greek philosophy and Eastern philosophy), Platonic metaphysics, and transcendental meditation. He graduated with a B.A. in Theology from St. Thomas university and a Master's certificate in theology and Spanish from St. John's University. James earned a Ph.D. from St. Alcuins College and did his Dissertation on Greek philosophy and Platonic metaphysics. James Clark has used the principles gained through his philosophical study and transcendental meditation to break over 30 world records. He currently teaches Greek and Eastern philosophy at a private high school for the Classics in Minnesota.
8/6/14 1:32 PM
dESTROBOBULATe
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAGUY Signal yet?

8/6/14 1:34 PM
2JupitersTooMany

OMG this dude has experienced "limitless power" by connecting to the Logos. No wonder he's the best in the Nation.

8/6/14 1:38 PM
2JupitersTooMany

I don't care if he's legit or not, I like his style

8/6/14 1:39 PM
Tomato Can

Apparently the 2012 article is about this guy:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/James-Clark-63692

And it seems like the 2014 article is almost surely about the same guy.

So long story short, he's a self-aggrandizing 50 year old who managed to convince some local reporter(s) that he's the Bernard Hopkins of MMA/BJJ, when in reality, he's an average joe with a handful of MMA fights and some local BJJ tourneys under his belt.
8/6/14 1:40 PM
falsecrack
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet

8/6/14 1:48 PM
Tomato Can

The "World Championships" the article refers to is probably the IBJJF No-Gi Worlds.
8/6/14 1:49 PM
2JupitersTooMany

I can't find him in any Naga results this year, hoping someone can nail it down just to end the mystery.

8/6/14 1:50 PM
Ramon Maroni
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IN

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.