UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJ Penn on Dolce: "I would never hire him again.."

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/6/14 3:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Phillips
836 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/14 3:41 PM

BJpenn.com just posted BJ's first interview since his last fight. Interesting read!

It’s been exactly one month since we saw The Prodigy “SCRAP” for the last time inside the famed UFC octagon, that same octagon in which he helped build. The fight, Penn’s third battle against fellow former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, was what many are calling his worst performance to-date. And for the first time since that night, BJ Penn is talking to the media about his last fight as a prize-fighter.

BJPENN.COM: We haven’t really heard from you in a month, so just tell the fans what you’ve been up during the first month of retirement:

BJ Penn: “I’ve just been hanging out at home, hanging out on the big island, enjoying time with the family and just kind of putting everything into perspective.”

We know the fight didn’t go your way, but outside of that, what goes on in your mind following a life-changing decision like retirement?

“I wanted to come back and do around 5 fights but, you know, everything got cut short, so…”

“I’m the kind of guy that can keep himself busy. I don’t like to just sit around the house and do nothing. I love working, I love staying busy. I’ve just been trying to focus on what’s best for the website and focus on what’s next for all the gyms I got coming up.”

What is your opinion on how the fight went down?

“I went to show up and do my best job and things didn’t go my way. Hats off to Frankie Edgar; he fought a great fight. I went in there and I gave it my best effort, you know, and everything ended up the way it did.”

A lot of fans and media members have questioned the physical appearance of BJ Penn on fight night and have started formulating their own opinions about how healthy BJ really was heading into that fight.

What are your thoughts on that? Did we see BJ Penn at his best that night?

“Every time I step into the octagon I definitely plan on giving my best effort no matter what the circumstances are. If people didn’t think that I looked good that night then that’s just their opinion and their entitled to it.”

What was the game plan heading into the fight and what was the main cause or purpose of the differentiated fighting style that you incorporated that night?

“That boxing style, I’ve been using that for the past year and a half, two years, and we had a bunch of training partners come in and I did well with everybody.”

“The first training partners we brought in were Lowen Tynanes; the current ONE FC Champ, Russell Doane came in and then, after that, Dominick Cruz came in. After Dominick Cruz came in Nik Lentz came in, Mirsad Bektic and Nik Lentz came in together, and we had great success with everybody in training and sparring. You know, when you do something new you’re rewarded if you win and you’re criticized when you lose. I know that’s part of the game.”

“As far as how we were doing in training, using the style that we used in the fight, we were doing great. We had no problems training with anybody. There was nobody that just came in and wiped us out or anything like that, so, you know? That’s about all I can say about that.”

- See more at: http://www.bjpenn.com/one-month-removed-penn-breaks-his-silence/#sthash.geWQWNbg.dpuf

8/6/14 3:44 PM
vodka7
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:46 PM
Matt Phillips
836 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a long interview, the Dolce part is in the link. I just wanted to avoid the wall of text. lol

8/6/14 3:48 PM
jdindiana
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guess BJ doesn't appreciate a good breakfast bowl Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:50 PM
Big EP
511 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What was your overall experience in working with Mike Dolce for the weight cut and nutrition?

“As far as Mike Dolce goes; I would never hire him again for anything.”

Would you like to elaborate?

“No, that’s it. Next question.”

8/6/14 3:51 PM
Brigham
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm I wonder what happened Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:52 PM
superCalo
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dolce is not a fan of the pineapple, does not recommend it in his first book, this shows his ignorance & lack of nutrition qualifications Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:52 PM
Matt Phillips

Mike posts on here occasionally, hopefuly he can add some perspective.

8/6/14 3:53 PM
TheEmperorRises
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to believe that the cut was too much and he'd have looked better fighting at 155. But I'd be more nervous than excited to see him attempt another comeback. As much as I'd love to see him go out with a win, I just don't think it's in the cards. Happened to Chuck Liddell too, and that's ok. That's just how they fought- win it all or lose everything (and yes, that's totally a Blood In Blood Out reference).

He will forever be remembered as the Prodigy, one of the all time greats and one of the baddest motherfuckers to ever walk the face of this earth. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:55 PM
MoomBah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dolce had an nterview before the fight were he said BJ was so in love with the diet he had his whole family on it. I wonder what happened.
8/6/14 3:56 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
569 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What was your overall experience in working with Mike Dolce for the weight cut and nutrition?
“As far as Mike Dolce goes; I would never hire him again for anything.”
Would you like to elaborate?
“No, that’s it. Next question.” Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:57 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
569 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoomBah - Dolce had an nterview before the fight were he said BJ was so in love with the diet he had his whole family on it. I wonder what happened.
He lost lol. BJ always has to have some sort of excuse or blame to dish out Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:01 PM
Ocean6
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
MoomBah - Dolce had an nterview before the fight were he said BJ was so in love with the diet he had his whole family on it. I wonder what happened.
He lost lol. BJ always has to have some sort of excuse or blame to dish out Phone Post 3.0

yep
8/6/14 4:04 PM
jasonhightower
835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - Dolce is not a fan of the pineapple, does not recommend it in his first book, this shows his ignorance & lack of nutrition qualifications Phone Post 3.0

LOL

8/6/14 4:09 PM
evh
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dolcegate
8/6/14 4:13 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would have loved to see Fedor on the Dolce diet.
8/6/14 4:20 PM
BW92
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dolce's legit. But if you're not down your nutrition, his system is basically about shedding fat and gaining muscle in a way that that you could maintain into your nineties as opposed to clogging your arteries on a bulk or malnourishing on a fat cut. Basically, he gets you thick, tight, and solid without compromising your intake of vitamins and minerals or overworking your digestive system.

Now, an uneducated person, or a person like BJ who's never been in tip/top shape before might think this sudden change in body type is going to turn him into GSP, and that's just not the case. Being at athletic weight won't make you a whole new athlete, and in a sport like MMA with so many variables, BJ might've been fine just carrying some fat at 155.

I heaaavily doubt there was anything wrong with Dolce's approach. Especially being hyped about the diet right before the fight, it sounds like BJ just had unrealistic expectations of what living lean could do for him. Went hardcore into his nutrition for the first time and got his ass whupped bad, I'm sure he's a little bitter about it. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:21 PM
BJJkilla
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dolce hopefully sees this and posts to elaborate on why penn feels this way.

no plate lunches for bj = pissed bj who won't hire you again.
8/6/14 4:23 PM
rauntu
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to know what that's all about Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:28 PM
sockeye
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dolce seems likes a good guy and knows his stuff. Sucks BJ would give him bad press without saying why Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:28 PM
Hikikomori
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dolce runs his mouth a lot. I'm sure some fighters like a bit of privacy. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:29 PM
MrNiceguy66

BJJkilla - dolce hopefully sees this and posts to elaborate on why penn feels this way.

no plate lunches for bj = pissed bj who won't hire you again.
No loco mocos Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:30 PM
Silverball
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a BJ Penn fan I'm still bummed that it had to end the way it did against Frankie, but BJ made a series of decisions that lead him to that point. I doubt Dolce could've done much to change the bigger issues in BJ's approach to his recent camps. That said, in for Dolce's response.
8/6/14 4:32 PM
theoutsiders
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 4:35 PM
Rob San Soo

Just like Marv, smh Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.