UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> question about scoring

8/7/14 1:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dazed
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Playing an online browser game with grappling matches and the scoring is a little questionable in my mind

Just curious

If I am on top in someones guard and I drop back for a straight ankle lock and the guy defends it and winds up in my full guard are any points awarded?

I know the difference between sweeps and reversals I'm just basically trying to clarify what happens when the loss of position is from a sub attempt. Another example is if I am in side control top and go for an armbar and my opponent ends up in side control on me.

In both cases I'm pretty sure no points are awarded because it is either A) a reversal or B) the position wasn't forced because of a sweep and was a result of the submission attempt.
8/7/14 1:43 PM
dokomoy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes your opponent gets points. If you go for a submission and end up on the bottom if you lose the sub your opponent gets sweep points(assuming he can stabilize for 3 seconds).
8/7/14 1:50 PM
Dazed
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dokomoy - Yes your opponent gets points. If you go for a submission and end up on the bottom if you lose the sub your opponent gets sweep points(assuming he can stabilize for 3 seconds).

Wow I didn't know that

So regardless of position if you give up top position based on attacking a submission points are awarded as a sweep?

So the guy would get 2 points for going from side control bottom to side control top because the guy failed an armbar?

Kind of confusing. I thought to get sweep points you have to force the change of position from a guard position.

8/7/14 1:57 PM
dokomoy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I should have been more clear, in the situation you described(you're in your opponents guard and fall back for the footlock) he would get points, if you go for a a submission from a dominant position(mount choke, armbar whatever) and end up on bottom they don't get any points.
8/7/14 2:15 PM
Dazed

dokomoy - I should have been more clear, in the situation you described(you're in your opponents guard and fall back for the footlock) he would get points, if you go for a a submission from a dominant position(mount choke, armbar whatever) and end up on bottom they don't get any points.

What if they end up in side control bottom or mounted?
8/7/14 2:31 PM
Tio Te
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, San Diego, CA

You would get 4 points for the mount. There are no points for side control.

A reversal from guard is a considered a sweep and worth two points. If you fall back inside your opponent's guard and he defends comes up on top, that is 2 points for the sweep.

8/7/14 2:52 PM
ChipW
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dazed - 
dokomoy - Yes your opponent gets points. If you go for a submission and end up on the bottom if you lose the sub your opponent gets sweep points(assuming he can stabilize for 3 seconds).

Wow I didn't know that

So regardless of position if you give up top position based on attacking a submission points are awarded as a sweep?

So the guy would get 2 points for going from side control bottom to side control top because the guy failed an armbar?

Kind of confusing. I thought to get sweep points you have to force the change of position from a guard position.

depends on rule set, a lot of tournaments use different rules.  Under NAGA nogi rules you would not get points for reversing the position from bottom side to top side.  You would, however, get 2 points for holding the side body position.  

For IBJJF rules you would get no points for the reversal nor any points for holding the side body position.  

for your original question, 

If I am on top in someones guard and I drop back for a straight ankle lock and the guy defends it and winds up in my full guard are any points awarded?

Once the guy clears the foot lock, he is awarded the 2 points for the sweep under IBJJF rules.   Same for NAGA nogi i think 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.