UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Anyone know about tosh cook? From rgbjj?

8/7/14 3:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
iHazpoopz
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's teaching a class at a local gym but works with rgbjj of Fresno. He wears a black belt in the class he teaches but the rgbjj website has him down as a brown belt? What gives?

I have 2 options. Him which is cool because it's a small class, yesterday I got about 45 minutes of rolling with him.

My other option is elite bjj in Visalia. They seem pretty competition based but it's a large class. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 3:31 PM
checkuroil
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Los Angeles, CA
Bad sign if he's wearing the wrong belt Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 3:36 PM
iHazpoopz
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right, and kept on putting emphasize on rolling with a black belt and keeps saying his teacher Royce Gracie. I'm a begininer, but from what I understand it's more like he learned from a guy he learned from Royce Gracie, no?

Would anyone care to help me research? I want to pick my school carefully. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 5:27 PM
flee76
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard nothing but great things about the guy. I don't know him personally but have talked to him whenever I see him at tourneys. I believe he got his black belt last year.

Where do you live? Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 5:29 PM
green_machine
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Think he posts here. I'm sure he will see this and post. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 5:32 PM
jasonhightower
335 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The picture on the website is a brown belt, but he's listed his credentials as a black belt.

http://rgjjoffresno.com/instructors.cfm Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 5:33 PM
Markus Barrett
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

barrett jiujitsu, instructor

yes. tosh is under royce gracie.    he got hung up at brown belt for a long time due to medical complications.   i caught up with royce in k.c. at a seminar in 4/14.....he told me he does all black belt promotions in miami at valente s school.    he does them in june i think.   so maybe tosh got bumped up last month???  

8/7/14 7:09 PM
iHazpoopz

flee76 - I've heard nothing but great things about the guy. I don't know him personally but have talked to him whenever I see him at tourneys. I believe he got his black belt last year.

Where do you live? Phone Post 3.0
Great to hear! I really liked the class. He is informative and little tips he drops are neat like tucking your head to avoid punches in certain positions.

I'll also get a lot of one on one time with him as well.

Biggest problem is he only comes to my town 3 days a week and I'll be stuck in a contract as well as not being 100% my work schedule will alway support it.

Elite is 7 days a week, no contract, no initial start up fee or any of that nonsense.

Now, yesterday he pointed out to me that he thinks 3 days a week would be more beneficial than training as much as possible.

Another thing is at least with the one class I tried I was the only adult, so he was all I actually rolled with. And obviously I couldn't do fucking shit. Lol. I'm sure rolling with a black belt is good and all, but do you guys think it's important to role with people who are equal in skill set?

Thanks for the help. I plan on staying at whichever I choose for quite some time. Elite has larger classes, so obviously more people to role with that will have different styles. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 7:11 PM
iHazpoopz

I live in hanford, CA. 45 minutes south of Fresno, so the whole unlimited access to his gym up there isn't a real selling point to me as far as locking in a contract. I also think elite competes more, and after training for a bit and getting my cardio and health under control I would definitely want to compete. Even he said elites style is very completion oriented and I like that. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 7:43 PM
mmanthebay
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you checked out Pacific Martial Arts in Fresno? They have more then 1 black belt instructor, produced skilled students, and have a very solid curriculum. Google them. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 7:56 PM
flee76
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitruvian in downtown Visalia is another great option. They have a cardio/workout area with some great equipment if you're into that. Good people, tough guys, and they compete quite frequently. They're a Dan Camarillo affiliate so you'll catch Dan teaching classes every now and then.

Yes, Pacific Martial Arts is another great option in Fresno. Jason Hannen is one helluva instructor.
8/7/14 8:12 PM
iHazpoopz

flee76 - Vitruvian in downtown Visalia is another great option. They have a cardio/workout area with some great equipment if you're into that. Good people, tough guys, and they compete quite frequently. They're a Dan Camarillo affiliate so you'll catch Dan teaching classes every now and then.

Yes, Pacific Martial Arts is another great option in Fresno. Jason Hannen is one helluva instructor.
I haven't heard of them. I will. Fresno is too far from where I am at. I'm willing to drive from hanford to Visalia though for legitimate training, and not worrying about hacks. Although tosh is legit, it's not just the instructor that I'm looking into. Schedule is a big deal, really. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 8:20 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tosh is legit,maybe slow changing his website.he's been with royce for years.he post on here,im sure he will see this
8/7/14 8:34 PM
pheonix5
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/07/14 8:34 PM

iHazpoopz - "Great to hear! I really liked the class. He is informative and little tips he drops are neat like tucking your head to avoid punches in certain positions. "

What is this, tucking your head to avoid punches, nonsense? That's not Jiu Jitsu :)

8/7/14 8:47 PM
Gumby
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, San Jose, CA
Tosh has been around for a long time, fought at some WEC events back when they were at Lemoore and was a brown belt for a LONG time. I know he recently (finally got promoted) to black belt, although obviously the website you saw doesn't reflect this, but he is definitely legit and a nice guy to boot.
8/7/14 9:18 PM
iHazpoopz

pheonix5 -

iHazpoopz - "Great to hear! I really liked the class. He is informative and little tips he drops are neat like tucking your head to avoid punches in certain positions. "

What is this, tucking your head to avoid punches, nonsense? That's not Jiu Jitsu :)

Lmao, well from what I understand he likes to teach a pretty self defense oriented style too, and I think he drops in little hints for if you were to mix the bjj in with MMA and what not. Who knows though, lol I'm a beginner. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 9:19 PM
iHazpoopz

Lmao, funny he was up on all the chael sonnen, metamoris stuff with the nsac. The guy has to post somewhere, he's up on his shit. lol. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 9:24 PM
iHazpoopz

Gumby - Tosh has been around for a long time, fought at some WEC events back when they were at Lemoore and was a brown belt for a LONG time. I know he recently (finally got promoted) to black belt, although obviously the website you saw doesn't reflect this, but he is definitely legit and a nice guy to boot.
Definitely a cool dude. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 12:26 AM
RocknRolla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tosh is legit and is a blackbelt...he's more active on FB
8/8/14 12:36 AM
iHazpoopz

RocknRolla - tosh is legit and is a blackbelt...he's more active on FB
So then we would say it's a great opportunity to train with a black belt 1 on 1 a lot or should I join a school with bigger classes. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 12:59 AM
tf1
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo Tosh is super legit. He was promoted to black to black not too long ago. The pics on his site are probably outdated. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/14 1:02 AM
Magic Mago
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iHazpoopz -
RocknRolla - tosh is legit and is a blackbelt...he's more active on FB
So then we would say it's a great opportunity to train with a black belt 1 on 1 a lot or should I join a school with bigger classes. Phone Post 3.0
You'll probably learn more from bigger classes and more people to roll with. Phone Post
8/8/14 7:28 AM
Mike Wazowski
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if the technique is good at both places, ALWAYS go w/ the place that is going to work w/ your schedule and routine.

it will encourage you to get more mat time and that's the most important thing to getting better.

you could always do privates w/ the black belt if he's closer for 1 on 1, but wait until you have a year in or so as white.
8/8/14 8:21 AM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that didnt take long
8/11/14 12:38 PM
Koyo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tosh is a great guy and a legit black belt under Royce. I will say that he does not teach the latest sports competition techniques since he does not use these in his own personal game (berimbolo, reverse de la riva, etc.) If you're looking to learn good, solid fundamentals then he is a great choice. It all depends what you are looking for. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.