UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stoppage idiocy - Benderson was concussed twice

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/24/14 9:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dr Doom
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am seeing a lot of people failing to understand stoppages in the right context. Mass idiocy, basically.

In this particular instance, it seems that people are only looking at Henderson's physical state when BJM steps in, rather than properly considering the events that preceded it.

"BJM didn't give him time to recover" is the mantra of the moment. BJM gave him plenty of time to recover after he was rocked - during which time he was then KOd.

This stoppage starts with the knee, not with the punch. That is what people are failing to understand.

Henderson was rocked so hard that he was forced into desperate survival mode - which BJM recognized.

Having his awareness already completely taken away from him, he was then dropped like a sack of shit and receiving punches when BJM thankfully stepped in.

In isolation, the stoppage was still good, if slightly marginal. In the context of already being concussed, BJM would have been negligent not to stop the fight.
8/24/14 9:49 AM
TheImmortalStocktonSlap
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he would have let it go any longer, the people crying early stoppage might be crying late stoppage.
It was fine imo Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 9:56 AM
njbIII
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Henderson was rocked with a straight left then a left hook before the nasty knee too. Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 10:00 AM
Dr Doom
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheImmortalStocktonSlap - If he would have let it go any longer, the people crying early stoppage might be crying late stoppage.
It was fine imo Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, if Bendo took any more than maybe 1 extra shot, I would have been on here accusing BJM of a late stoppage.

People don't need to be completely unconscious for the ref to see clearly that the damage they are taking is too much. Just look at the Hollaway fight - that tough kid whose name escapes me wasn't even close to being unconscious, yet I doubt anyone argues that stoppage.

And the crazy part is, Bendo WAS completely unconscious, if only for a couple of seconds. And that was after already getting knocked silly by the knee.

I have little faith in the overall intelligence of MMA fans if they are booing and complaining about that stoppage.
8/24/14 10:04 AM
Bad Monkey
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was rooting for Bendo, I thought the stoppage was perfect. I'm not looking for these guys to get stretchered out of the arena. He was out, it seems like some expect these guys to fight to the death.
8/24/14 10:10 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"This stoppage starts with the knee, not with the punch. That is what people are failing to understand."

So when you get hit with a knee that doesn't drop you, the fight should be stopped or on the verge of being stopped?
8/24/14 10:10 AM
carcaju
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not gonna lie, big RDA fan since I met and trained with him at Gordos, but this is a very objective analysis. I would have agreed if Bendo did it to him.
8/24/14 10:19 AM
Mrbrownfolks
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the end, the ref is there for fighter safety. He made a good call. He has to make a split second decision and this was the right call.
8/24/14 10:21 AM
wizekraker owns me, it's not normal

It wasn't the worst stoppage ever. But it was without a doubt a little early. Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 10:23 AM
UGCTT_EnderTL
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He got hit with two good shots and was still working to recover. One more good one after the hook would have sealed it but RDA missed the follow up punch and BJM jumped in. The knee staggered him and the punch stunned him. Finishing strike was lacking. I think in the prelims a fighter was dropped a lot harder than that and came back to win.

Not saying it's terrible but most fights don't get ended that early Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 10:31 AM
Dr Doom

orcus - "This stoppage starts with the knee, not with the punch. That is what people are failing to understand."

So when you get hit with a knee that doesn't drop you, the fight should be stopped or on the verge of being stopped?

Either you are using a straw man argument, or you have poor reading comprehension.

And I think the knee basically did drop him - the takedown was an instinctual defensive reaction to getting completely rocked and it is likely he would have fallen to the mat if he had nothing to grab on to. But that is besides the point.

The KO happened as a result of the knee - they cannot somehow be viewed as 'separate' incidents. BJM realized that he was hurt and was ready to step in as soon as the knee landed. The resulting KO of course would elicit a stoppage from a ref who was already concerned with the fighter's ability to continue.
8/24/14 10:34 AM
ausgepicht

Well, what happens is that nuthuggers put all their hopes and dreams behind a fighter - especially someone who is supposed to be the second coming - that they don't want to have those dreams snuffed out.

They enter a stage of disbelief, denial then anger, as with any cult.

You tell someone that Jesus isn't real and then it is shown to be true, people will be crushed. A lot of people struggling today. Hopefully they get the help they need.
8/24/14 10:36 AM
Dr Doom

I may be a bit off about the knee basically dropping him - can't quite picture the exact nature of his takedown attempt other than it was clearly a desperation move.

But obviously sometimes a fighter is far more hurt when still standing than getting dropped. Kampmann was still standing against Daley when they rightly stopped that fight.
8/24/14 10:37 AM
HenryO

Theres just no consistency. Big Dan let low tier guys take multiple unanswered shots, yet Benson Henderson gets rocked and looked still defending and the fight gets stopped.

When you have a top tier fighter like Benson who has been known to get rocked and keep fighting you have to give him a chance.

Big John fucked up
8/24/14 10:41 AM
tech696
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hated to see fight end so quickly, but after watching replay I have no problem with the stoppage. BJM is best in business in my opinion. Fighter safety/health is top priority Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 10:47 AM
Dr Doom

HenryO - Theres just no consistency. Big Dan let low tier guys take multiple unanswered shots, yet Benson Henderson gets rocked and looked still defending and the fight gets stopped.

When you have a top tier fighter like Benson who has been known to get rocked and keep fighting you have to give him a chance.

Big John fucked up

The only thing that people are basing the 'Henderson was defending himself' line on is the fact that when BJM stepped in, he wasn't still unconscious.

But he was almost certainly about to be again. Then we would have a fighter who was severely rocked then KOd, momentarily regained consciousness and then KOd again. That isn't good for anyone's health.
8/24/14 10:54 AM
Perfer Et Obdura
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ruler of Latveria is correct
8/24/14 10:58 AM
UGCTT_EnderTL
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wasn't ever KO'd.... your argument would be fine if you didn't make that up. You can be stunned twice in close duration. If he was KO'd he would have been Newmark'd against the cage after the hook. He was in the middle of standing up, got caught again and fell backwards. He broke his fall with his hands and remained upright, then Big John straddled him.

As for RDA he threw one punch that missed after the hook landed. Did that hook look like a walk-off KO? That's how it was treated. Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 11:02 AM
WuDaddy
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://instagram.com/p/sEWpAfpgl_/ Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 11:10 AM
Stephen Holder

That was a great call by big Jon. What he reacted to is exactly the same thing that made everyone go 'oh shit.' On his way up Benson got rocked and fell back down. It wasnt just that he got clipped but how he reacted. His body went limp and he fell back without protecting his fall at all. Thats a small concussion folks and McCarthy is a pro, dont get it confused. He responded approriately at EXACTLY the right time and stepped in where Benson would have became a lifeless punching bag. Fractions of a second there taking damage could have potentially shortened Henderson's career by years.

8/24/14 11:10 AM
ausgepicht

WuDaddy - http://instagram.com/p/sEWpAfpgl_/ Phone Post 3.0

Looks like the double knees flash KOed him - his hands and forehead were flat on the mat. Big John gave him the benefit of the doubt knowing who Bendo is.

Then the left hook put him out a second time. Being Bendo, Big John gave him the benefit of the doubt...#2. Then he ate two huge punches and was in an awkward position without protecting himself and there was a tidal wave of punches about to be unleashed, so John stopped it.

Jesus came and he died again folks. Get over it. It's a new day. Go outside for a walk. Let it go.
8/24/14 11:13 AM
ranier wolfcastle
1519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

travis browne vs overeem

8/24/14 11:16 AM
hawgchao

that "double knee" had nothing to do with the stoppage
8/24/14 11:16 AM
BrolyTheJustSaiyan
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson is a great fighter as much as I dislike the guy. BJM was doing him a favor in extending Benson's career no sense in letting him take unnecessary damage Phone Post 3.0
8/24/14 11:17 AM
Stephen Holder

UGCTT_EnderTL - He wasn't ever KO'd.... your argument would be fine if you didn't make that up. You can be stunned twice in close duration. If he was KO'd he would have been Newmark'd against the cage after the hook. He was in the middle of standing up, got caught again and fell backwards. He broke his fall with his hands and remained upright, then Big John straddled him.

As for RDA he threw one punch that missed after the hook landed. Did that hook look like a walk-off KO? That's how it was treated. Phone Post 3.0

No fucking way did Benson 'break his fall with his hands and remained upright.' When falling backwards you will instinctively stick your elbows out. I know this for a fact because twice in my life I've dislocated my elbow when falling backwards. His arms flop straight down as he goes limp when he is falling. The only thing that 'breaks' his fall is the cage post as the back of his head smashes against it. You sir are in need of a rewatch with all due respect.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.