UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey: Grapple??!? Pay me like the UFC does

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/25/14 9:23 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey recently sat down with Anton Tabuena for a wide-ranging interview. This is lucky, as UG Blog had not done a piece on "Rowdy" in many long hours, and the site members were starting to complain bitterly.

Back in June Rousey made a bold statement statement about women grapplers.

"I thought, and still think, that I could beat any girl in the world, any weight division, gi or no-gi, black belt and in any ruleset they want, in just pure Jiu Jitsu," she said.

A number of notable female BJJ competitors took exception to the remarks. Now Rousey takes exception to their taking exception.

Anton Tabuena: A few months ago, you said you 'can beat any BJJ girl in the world' while trying to defend Judo as a sport, but a lot of BJJ Champions seemed to have taken offense to it. Have you seen their responses?

Ronda Rousey: No, I haven't seen their responses, and I'm not going to look for it. If people want to pay me as much as what I get paid in the UFC to go roll with them, I'd go do that too! But I've got movies, I've got fights, and I just don't have the time to put in a grappling training camp. They're only upset because they think they can beat me, so why shouldn't I be just as upset at their opinion thinking they could beat me? Why are they so much more entitled to their opinion than mine?

AB: Gina Carano, what do you think of that match up?

RR: I think Gina is the worst style match up for me actually. One of the reasons why I've been so excited to fight her, was because she has that feeling of distance, and that feeling of timing, and mobility to put those touches in her punches where she has that one punch knockout power.

There's a lot of other girls that they're strong, but they don't have that feeling. So they overwhelm people and they only get TKO's. There's none of that one punch knockout power, and that's the kind of thing that you don't lose. It's that kind of thing that stays with you even if you take time off. I think styles do make fights, and style wise, Gina is the absolute worst match up for me. That's why I've been wanting to fight her for a while, because she could be one of my biggest challenges.

Read entire interview...

8/25/14 9:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vaginal tear
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for Rhona/ Gina bikini face off pic Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 9:34 AM
da Vinci 81
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"They're only upset because they think they can beat me, so why shouldn't I be just as upset at their opinion thinking they could beat me?"

Holy shit at this grade 5 logic. How dare you be offended by my arrogant statement! Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 9:42 AM
Gannicus
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vaginal tear - In for Rhona/ Gina bikini face off pic Phone Post 3.0

I like where this is going
8/25/14 9:48 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

js138 - Could she be more unlikeable? Phone Post 3.0
I think the answer is no. There must be so many people blowing smoke up her ass and that matched with her maturity doesn't make for a great personality. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 9:49 AM
Don_Dada
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Besides her an Dana, nobody could give two fucks about the Gina fight. Boring. 

8/25/14 9:51 AM
stevekt
934 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Under the right circumstances... Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 9:55 AM
alesys
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

js138 - Could she be more unlikeable? Phone Post 3.0

Oh yes, she can. She always finds a way.
8/25/14 9:56 AM
Wriggling Grunion
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Oh, I'd beat them all. I'll just never face them because they can't pay me enough. I'll talk shit, though."

It'd be nice if media outlets would simply quit giving her a platform from which to speak.

8/25/14 9:59 AM
Rob San Soo

This again Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:10 AM
YourStoryisCoolBro

Is she retarded? Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:14 AM
HandyDarsh
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well everything right there explains why she wants carano over cyborg...

It's all about money to Ronda at this point, and everyone that watches/ pays for her fights are making her ego bigger and bigger.

I wouldn't pay a cent to watch her grapple and I wouldn't pay to see her fight if she wasn't jammed in fight cards that are actually interesting. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:14 AM
blakemp

NewOldTRT09er - If you're going to make a bold statement then be prepared to back it up. Otherwise STFU.

No balls - literally and figuratively. She's the most dominant female fighter on the planet and yet anything that looks like a challenge she finds a reason not to do it. Cyborg cos she pissed hot, now grappling cos they don't pay enough and she's "busy". Ok Ronda.

On top she wants to fight an out of shape striker with no grappling skills who's been retired for 5 years and got KTFO in her last fight.

I guarantee if Ronda ever loses her psyche and ego will implode. She's dominant as fuck but she's fragile. As Marloes Coenen once said Ronda "fights with fear in her heart" Phone Post 3.0

"anything that looks like a challenge she finds a reason not to do it" - that's complete bullshit. If you just read the interview you'd understand: "Gina is the absolute worst match up for me. That's why I've been wanting to fight her for a while, because she could be one of my biggest challenges."
8/25/14 10:18 AM
CerronePoundsOnMeStrong
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blakemp -
NewOldTRT09er - If you're going to make a bold statement then be prepared to back it up. Otherwise STFU.

No balls - literally and figuratively. She's the most dominant female fighter on the planet and yet anything that looks like a challenge she finds a reason not to do it. Cyborg cos she pissed hot, now grappling cos they don't pay enough and she's "busy". Ok Ronda.

On top she wants to fight an out of shape striker with no grappling skills who's been retired for 5 years and got KTFO in her last fight.

I guarantee if Ronda ever loses her psyche and ego will implode. She's dominant as fuck but she's fragile. As Marloes Coenen once said Ronda "fights with fear in her heart" Phone Post 3.0

"anything that looks like a challenge she finds a reason not to do it" - that's complete bullshit. If you just read the interview you'd understand: "Gina is the absolute worst match up for me. That's why I've been wanting to fight her for a while, because she could be one of my biggest challenges."
If you honestly believe that she thinks Gina is a tough matchup for her you are exactly the type of fan the UFC wants. Naive and gullible. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:20 AM
CDarwin
1074 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is Gina at 143 lbs

With better help she should be able to go from there to 135.

The question is where she is at right now? A year or two ago she was pushing HW in Hollywood.

8/25/14 10:23 AM
FearOfaChristianPlanet
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - "They're only upset because they think they can beat me, so why shouldn't I be just as upset at their opinion thinking they could beat me?"

Holy shit at this grade 5 logic. How dare you be offended by my arrogant statement! Phone Post 3.0
"Why shouldn't I be just as upset at their opinion thinking they could beat me?"

Can't figure our if idiot or wise Sensei.

Must meditate. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:24 AM
Wriggling Grunion

CerronePoundsOnMeStrong - 
blakemp -

If you honestly believe that she thinks Gina is a tough matchup for her you are exactly the type of fan the UFC wants. Naive and gullible. Phone Post 3.0

I think he's being sarcastic. It's the only logical way to explain such an idiotic response.

8/25/14 10:30 AM
StephenLangdown
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't stand Ronda, at all. But to be fair to her, why should she grapple bjj girls if she's not gonna get paid what she's makes in her UFC title fights? Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:36 AM
Lanceness021

js138 - Could she be more unlikeable? Phone Post 3.0

This.

Maybe if she said something like "Nobody can match my judo, I can score points off take downs and my top game is good enough to stay out of subs" she would at least be credible. Instead what she says is obnoxious as hell.
8/25/14 10:36 AM
blakemp

Wriggling Grunion - 
CerronePoundsOnMeStrong - 
blakemp -

I think he's being sarcastic. It's the only logical way to explain such an idiotic response.

Yeah, shoulda made the sarcasm more obvious, but Ronda's quote is just so crazy. In the interview, she essentially said that Gina's only asset is her ability to finish a fight with 1 punch... And that makes her the biggest challenge? The absolute worst matchup?

The justifications that Ronda comes up with are always entertaining and ridiculous. To be fair, Gina will almost certainly be more of a challenge than Alexis Davis, but Ronda must be delusional if she's able to convince herself that Gina is the worst possible matchup.
8/25/14 10:37 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StephenLangdown - I can't stand Ronda, at all. But to be fair to her, why should she grapple bjj girls if she's not gonna get paid what she's makes in her UFC title fights? Phone Post 3.0
I'm assuming she doesn't get paid the same for movies and MMA fights so, should she give one of those up too? Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:40 AM
The Power Double
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'I could beat any woman in any weight division in BJJ.'

'Gina Carano is the worst possible match-up for me.'

Two statements she surely doesn't believe Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:44 AM
StephenLangdown
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimp Strength -
StephenLangdown - I can't stand Ronda, at all. But to be fair to her, why should she grapple bjj girls if she's not gonna get paid what she's makes in her UFC title fights? Phone Post 3.0
I'm assuming she doesn't get paid the same for movies and MMA fights so, should she give one of those up too? Phone Post 3.0
Not the same. Winning in MMA gives her more money in movies and being in movies ups her negotiating power with the UFC. Beating a world champ BJJ girl? Not so much.

I'm not defending her, cause I can't fucking stand her. Just saying it's not the same thing. :) Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:45 AM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA fighters do grappling tournaments all the time. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/14 10:46 AM
BuddyRevell
352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - 
StephenLangdown - I can't stand Ronda, at all. But to be fair to her, why should she grapple bjj girls if she's not gonna get paid what she's makes in her UFC title fights? Phone Post 3.0

Probably shouldnt have opened her mouth then right? She was the one who said she could beat anyone anytime in BJJ.  

VU, Pitbull. It's kind of like if Floyd said, "I can beat anybody in the UFC at MMA" then having someone like Aldo or Pettis step up and accept the challenge only for Floyd to say, "Nah, you'd have to pay me as much as I make in boxing. But regardless, I'd still beat their asses in MMA." 

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.