UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stephen Bonnar signs with Bellator

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/27/14 10:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheHebrewHammer
908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/27/6073823/stephan-bonnar-signs-with-bellator-mma Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 10:45 AM
genDAV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as per the link:

"Stephan Bonnar's fighting career isn't over just yet.

In a somewhat surprising move, Bonnar, a UFC Hall of Famer, has signed a multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA, according to promotion officials. Bonnar's Bellator debut has not been finalized just yet, however, a grudge match against Tito Ortiz has been discussed. Brian McMahon tweeted last week that Bonnar vs. Ortiz was set.

"I want everyone to know I'm coming out of retirement because it's time to free the MMA world of the virus that's known as Tito Ortiz,” Bonnar said in a statement provided by Bellator. “We've been suffering through his boring fights for too many years, and it's about time that someone beats it out of him once and for all."

In addition to a fighting contract, sources close to the promotion told MMAFighting.com that there is also a chance Bonnar could do some broadcasting work for Bellator on Spike TV.

“Stephan is a guy that has been a huge part of this sport and we are excited have him part of the roster,” Bellator President Scott Coker said in a statement provided by the organization. “He was one half of probably the greatest and one of the most important fights in MMA history, and it happened on Spike. When you look at our hight heavyweight division, with names like Rampage, Tito, King Mo, Emanuel Newton and others, there are a lot of fights Stephan can be involved in. Big fights against big names. After talking to Stephan, I know that’s what he wants, and we want to provide that to our fans.”

Bonnar retired from MMA in 2012 after losing to Anderson Silva via first-round TKO at UFC 153. After the fight, he tested positive for the anabolic steroid Drostanolone and was then suspended for one year by the UFC, who served as the governing body for that card in Brazil.

He was also suspended for nine months by the NAC following his UFC 62 loss to Forrest Griffin in 2006 after metabolites of the anabolic steroid Boldenone were found in his system.

After the second failed test, Bonnar said he was worried his relationship with the UFC brass, who had stood by him through his trials and tribulations due to the fact that his fight against Forrest Griffin at The Ultimate Fighter Finale 1 in 2005 helped rejuvenate the sport, was ruined for good.

"That was really important to me, to be part of the UFC in ways other than fighting," he said on The MMA Hour. "That’s been hardest thing for me. I worked so hard over the years doing all those things to kind of give myself a home in the UFC outside of the actual fighting part of it, and I feel I ruined that."

UFC president Dana White, perhaps Bonnar's strongest advocate over the years, defended Bonnar's place in MMA history to anyone who argued against it, especially when he decided to induct Bonnar into the UFC Hall of Fame in 2013.

"I don't think people realize, really, really realize, what [Griffin vs. Bonnar 1] meant to this sport and this company," White said at the time to Yahoo! Sports. "I look at it as, I'm inducting Forrest, and Stephan goes with him. It wasn't just Forrest. Both of those guys took us to this next level. He's being inducted for that one fight that took this thing to the next level."

In fact, Ortiz, a fellow UFC Hall of Famer, took exception to Bonnar's induction, which has led to a lot of trash talk between the two.

"Forrest deserves it," Ortiz told MMAJunkie.com last year. "He beat me, and he beat some other really good guys. He was a world champion. He had some great fights. I think he deserves it. As far as Stephan, I have nothing against the guy, but you've got to be a world champion, I think, to be in the Hall of Fame."

Bonnar obviously didn't appreciate those comments and began campaigning for a fight.

"I'm just gonna call it how it is," he said. I'm gonna help him out. We all know he's broke. We know Jenna took all his money. You know, Punishment Clothing—the only people I see wearing that nowadays are homeless people. His management company, you know—not making any money there. So I'm gonna help the poor guy get paid."

However, earlier this year Bonnar told BloodyElbow.com that he wouldn't consider fighting for anyone other than UFC.

"I wouldn't fight for another promotion," he said. "It's about loyalty. More than anything, I take pride in being a part of the UFC and I wouldn't want to screw that up."

The 37-year-old Bonnar (15-8) made his MMA debut in 2001. His UFC career began in 2005, on Spike TV, when he was a member of the historic first season of "The Ultimate Fighter." He rose to prominence on the cable channel when he lost a close decision to Griffin later that year, and now he will come out of retirement to continue his fighting career for the upstart Bellator MMA back on Spike TV."
8/27/14 10:48 AM
Josh_underground
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

..Yay for Bellator? Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 10:51 AM
hendofanforlife(LMBBchamp!)
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

odd. but hey just adds to belators roster

8/27/14 10:53 AM
BrattMamley
1719 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tough spot for Bonnar. Do you wait and hope that the UFC/Fox comes around and gives you some time on UFC tonight or other Fox Sports shows/broadcasts? Or do you have to just accept that you screwed up and take whatever Bellator gives you?

8/27/14 10:54 AM
2 Slimy Lizards
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Bonnar, but he really tainted his career getting popped post-Silva beatdown. Also more than likely ruining a cush office UFC gig when he retires from fighting. Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 10:57 AM
Ministry of Truth

Good for Stephan. I'm thinking he has good reasons for going to Bellator.
8/27/14 10:58 AM
touch
2113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/27/14 11:00 AM
Rambo John J
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

could help with bellators case of Titoitis.

"He will be with the UFC forever"
8/27/14 11:04 AM
JoeDingo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana = Mad
8/27/14 11:05 AM
Eisenberg
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He must have had the UFC's blessing for doing so.

8/27/14 11:08 AM
ClemenzasCannoli
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure what to think about this. Dana and the UFC gave him a ton of chances all due to the Forrest fight. He was never a very good fighter and he got popped multiple times for peds and the UFC stood by him. You don't want to begrudge someone for trying to earn a living but on the surface, it seems like a shitty move to the UFC Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 11:09 AM
wizekraker owns me, it's not normal

Wasn't this already announced? I feel like I read this line a week ago Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 11:14 AM
Bobby Lupo
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd rather see Bonnar-Kimbo. That could be a good scrap.

8/27/14 11:18 AM
elbrian

lol

8/27/14 11:24 AM
esque
1235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 11:25 AM
AlphaSlap
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the direction Coker is taking

This gives the older fans something to get excited about.

Parysian, Bonnar, Mariusz, Tito-these guys bring me back to a time when MMA was right on the verge of becoming big.

If Coker could dust off Hideo Tokoro and get him in there I would be ecstatic

Or possibly have Genki Sudo co-ordinate the opening ceremony.

8/27/14 11:26 AM
dhughes
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana gave his blessing. There was something about this a few days ago.
8/27/14 11:26 AM
Ch1ef
883 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't feel like he would do this without speaking with Dana first. Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 11:30 AM
VinegarStrokes
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would rather see him hang em up.

8/27/14 11:36 AM
chawkins
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana gave his blessing. There was something about this a few days ago.

I was just coming in here to say this.

Also, does anyone else think that this may be a good sign regarding the relationship between UFC and Bellator? Dana has always referred to Coker as one of the good guys of the business.
8/27/14 11:38 AM
NickDiazsSpinningBackfist
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Front page says Staphan lol. Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 11:38 AM
horsemeat grew my head
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My God this Staphan Bonnar on the homepage Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 11:41 AM
wrestling4life
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ClemenzasCannoli - Not sure what to think about this. Dana and the UFC gave him a ton of chances all due to the Forrest fight. He was never a very good fighter and he got popped multiple times for peds and the UFC stood by him. You don't want to begrudge someone for trying to earn a living but on the surface, it seems like a shitty move to the UFC Phone Post 3.0
Lol at never being a good fighter. Not like he has fought a few ufc champs and fought in the best mma promotion for many years Phone Post 3.0
8/27/14 11:44 AM
stevekt
1037 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck Staphan. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.