UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> Scott...I'm breathless!!

4/24/02 9:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-02

...and my eyes are tearing! I just finished viewing a series from "Arthokinetics". Anyone who has read any of my threads acknowlegdes my free martial arts spirit(refusal to cling to a style, for fear of losing myself) and love for grappling(all), especially "Catch", it just fits who I am more. When I first read Mr. Sonnon's thread, "Create your own submissions", I thought "that's what Catch has been doing for over a hundred years". And I've made post about the importants of "improvosational flow of submission", Tony C. enlightened me to that concept and I've taken it from there. Anyway, I decided I wanted more and from a more concrete template. Well, I got it in "Arthokinetics"! I love Mr. Cecchine, but Scott's material is Catch--Plus! Plus, meaning a scientific explanation of the "Science of Submission". I do mean it's a science. I thought the Cecchine comparison might rub Scott the wrong way(I've done it before), but Scott even acknowlegdes Tony, Igor and E. Paulson.(Gracious) Watching this, when my jaw wasn't dropping, I could only think why don't more people know about this Professor of Submission. I mean many know his name, but do they really know the substance behind his advance lexicon? I have got to run and plea to my "Catch" brothers to open their minds up to this "hidden treasure". They have few places to go for "professional development", but this is a mecca. I've been trying hard to get my training partners out of the prison of BJJ submissions(I love the art) and to investigate the many possibility they pass up, because they are shackled to "the same old same old". I'm not an idolatry, hero worship, guru following or any of that stuff, but I am one to praise good material. Again.......just breathless! You have no idea how much I appreciate and enjoy your gift. It is a gift! Robert "Your way is the way"
4/24/02 11:50 PM
Sonnon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-02 11:56 PM
Robert, Thanks for the good words. I thought you'd be one to appreciate ARTHROKINETICS. I look forward to hearing your review of the entire series. I have extreme respect for Tony, though we've only had one conversation. In my training in Catch with the Snake Pit's Coach Billy Robinson back in the UWFI, I became enamoured with the "rough and tumble" eclecticism of the style, which complemented well my classical Russian Sambo. Spreading the news about ARTHROKINETICS remains the best complement you could provide. Fraternal, Scott
4/25/02 7:17 AM
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-02
Scott, I'm still not over my amazement. I just did a review on the Catch forum, for they can understand certain things better than non-Catchwrestlers. Like how Hyperfunction equates to "hooks". Or maybe I'm just better able to express my appreciation of this concept to them. Also, it is difficult to review for there really are no techniques, but concepts that frees you to 100s of possible techniques. I'm "hooked"! One last thing, no one talks about "your" personal skill much. I've seen very few people or maybe none that move so smoothly and freely on the ground. Robert
4/25/02 9:45 AM
Sonnon

Edited: 25-Apr-02 12:27 PM
Dear Robert, You tell me that you find difficulty in attempting to describe ARTHROKINETICS? Brother, you're preaching to the choir. I'm just hoping that people realize ARTHROKINETICS before I'm listed posthumously. RE: my skills. Thank you for the complement. However, what skills lack importance, priority and necessity over what I should offer as a coach. I've dedicated my life to coaching, which I find more fulfilling and much more challenging than any day I competed. Like my company's slogan speaks, we "make our max yours." Fraternal, Scott PS: There's a Catch Forum? Where?
4/25/02 12:01 PM
nowaydo

Edited: 25-Apr-02
I'll e-mail you!
4/26/02 4:41 PM
nowaydo

Edited: 26-Apr-02
Thanks, Scott! That was very giving! "Catch"!
4/26/02 6:00 PM
tysaw

Nowaydo, I will second your observation on Scott's movement. He is very smooth and slick. One of the things that stuck me watching AK was his fluid transitions, then of course the elementary biomechanics I saw in the GTB were obvious. I have been doing the GTB fo awhile, but now I've redoubled my efforts after seeing Scott in action. He is being way too modest! Also, the AK is a lifetime of study material... :-) Bruce
4/26/02 9:13 PM
nowaydo

True, Bruce. And congratulations! I do think it is important to see him move. I seen him in my mind all day, moving from lock to lock. As you can see, it was truly unforgettable for me. Now, I must go back and watch it again.
5/4/02 6:14 PM
mbajj

Edited: 04-May-02
nowaydo is correct. I read his review of Scott's tape on Tony's forum. On the strength of his opinion I purchased the tapes myself. I was 100% satisfied with the video's.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.