UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW predicts Faber and Dillashaw would fight

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/1/14 11:43 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1421 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When a sport is organized properly, the very best athletes compete against each other. It would be unthinkable if members of the Seahawks announced that they practiced with the Broncos and didn't want to compete in the SuperBowl.

In MMA however, the top fighters in a weight division often train together at the same gym, develop deep ties, and announce they will not fight. Jon Jones said he wouldn't fight then Jackson MMA teammate Rashad Evans, who now won't fight fellow Blackzilians Anthony Johnson or Vitor Belfort. Team Alpha Male founder Urijah Faber recently said it would take one billion dollars to fight UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw.

Fans often understand and applaud the principled stand of teammates refusing to fight each other. But UFC president Dana White has a different perspective, as his job is matching up the world's best fighters.

Dillashaw beat Joe Soto in an exciting fight Saturday night at UFC 177, and the league has to determine his next challenger. Barao fainted and was hospitalized trying to make weight on Saturday, and will not receive the reward of an immediate title shot. Raphael Assuncao absolutely has earned a shot. Dominick Cruz may get a shot if he beats Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 178. Mizugaki too might get a shot with a win, but although his last five fights were all wins, all were decisions, two of them split, which does not show the kind of divisional dominance that usually precedes a title shot. By  contrast, Assuncao is on a six-fight win streak, and the only split decision on his record in that time is a win over Dillashaw.

And then there is Faber. At the UFC 177 post-fight media scrum, White said that Faber would take a fight with Dillashaw - for less than a billion dollars - and that Dillashaw would take the fight.

“I think that when you have a team, it’s no different than Georges St-Pierre and Rory MacDonald,” said White as transcribed by MMAJunkie. “When you have guys who are part of a team, they train together. Tonight when they win, they’re all excited for each other. Their families are here. You don’t run around saying, ‘I’ll fight him tomorrow; I want his belt,’ and all this stuff.

“Everybody believes they can beat each other in the back of their minds because they all train together. But when it comes down to it, Faber would 100 percent fight him for way less than a billion dollars, and T.J. would fight him. It’s like Rory MacDonald is in GSP’s house, meaning his gym and everything. He’s not going to run around saying, ‘Yeah, I want GSP for the belt.’ There’s a time and place and a way to do that. You’re never going to hear guys say it publicly. They would never do that.”

“Faber’s got to be in a position to fight for the title. You know what I mean? He’s got to go in there and beat somebody and be in a position to fight for the title.

“And if he is, I promise you he will do it. I know he will, and I know T.J. will fight him too.”

9/1/14 12:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StratTone
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They would clearly fight for less than half of the companies net worth. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 12:39 PM
chadp
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Faber texted Dana saying Dillashaw is a two faced prick and he wants to beat him. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 12:43 PM
SporkChop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would the odds be on this fight do you think? Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 1:05 PM
KFP49
1392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a team alpha male fan, I'm not looking forward to that fight. I hope it doesn't split the team or anything.

If the fight does happen, I see Faber big brothering TJ. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 1:13 PM
Another Foob
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KFP49 - As a team alpha male fan, I'm not looking forward to that fight. I hope it doesn't split the team or anything.

If the fight does happen, I see Faber big brothering TJ. Phone Post 3.0

Definitely can't underestimate the power of the big brother role.

It seems early to talk about this. TJ hasn't even defended against a single contender yet. I'm sure there's a couple of guys he could fight first, which means both these guys need to win a couple more fights before we need to worry about it.
9/1/14 1:19 PM
kyle223
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These guys fucking hate each other!

DW Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 1:25 PM
iHazpoopz
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tj takes it from what I've seen at my short stint at fabers gym. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 1:43 PM
stainlesssteel

I don't blame Faber. Start at a billion and work your way to 250/250. Dillashaw got 50/50 this last fight. To transcribe Faber's words,'It would take a whole lot more than 50/50 for me to fight my brother!'

Negotiatiating 101.

9/1/14 2:21 PM
sparkuri
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing prediction Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 2:33 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Dana White @danawhite · 2m

"Uriah Faber wants no part of Dillishaw!!"

? Reply Replied to 0 times
? Retweet Retweeted 39 times 39
? Favorite Favorited 46 times 46

?
9/1/14 2:56 PM
cornflakelieberbaum
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Faber already had 3 title shots at BW,he would need another run of 4-5 decisive victories against top 10 opposition,I'd say Assuncao,Cruz,Barao,and hell even Dodson if he won 3 fights at BW against contenders,should get shots at BW before Faber gets a 4th!He has earned his shots but its going to take a lot to get a 4th especially after that 1st round loss to Barao.
9/1/14 3:10 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't want to see it.

9/1/14 3:23 PM
Machinegunjoe
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wtf is this stupid thread about? It says billion that's a thousand millions, must be a misprint right? Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 3:41 PM
Morpheus1976
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what has Faber on the owners of the ufc? getting so much titleshots is mind blowing.
9/1/14 4:02 PM
Bisping'sToiletCleaner
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/1/14 4:05 PM
Cannabis Cures

KnowAnySailors - Dana White has this obsession with teammates fighting. Phone Post 3.0

He's obsessed with being in control.
9/1/14 4:07 PM
Mat Santos
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Providence, RI
KnowAnySailors - Dana White has this obsession with teammates fighting. Phone Post 3.0
That is exactly what I was thinking. First with Lombard and Tyrone. Now with these guys. It's like Dana's dad was betrayed by a teammate back in Nam and now he is obsessed with breaking up teams. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 4:18 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

This is fucking prize fighting!!

Friends are for retirement.... Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 4:45 PM
Masterclass
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to the UFC's own rankings on their website, Barao is #1 and Faber is #2. If Barao is DEFINATELY not getting a title shot next per Dana, how does Faber "need to get into a position for a title shot?" He is next in line IMO. 

9/1/14 4:54 PM
Stephen Eakin
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Dillashaw has to be Assuncao before Faber would get a shot. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/14 5:01 PM
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Morpheus1976 - what has Faber on the owners of the ufc? getting so much titleshots is mind blowing.

This. I didn't think Faber was back in the title picture yet. I figured he had to win one, maybe two more. I think this story may be a bit pre-mature.
9/1/14 5:20 PM
Johnny Storm
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/01/14 5:21 PM
I'd love to beat the fuck out of Dana White.
9/1/14 5:23 PM
Thacommish
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - 
Mat Santos - 
KnowAnySailors - Dana White has this obsession with teammates fighting. Phone Post 3.0
That is exactly what I was thinking. First with Lombard and Tyrone. Now with these guys. It's like Dana's dad was betrayed by a teammate back in Nam and now he is obsessed with breaking up teams. Phone Post 3.0

Two occasions makes for an obsession? Lol. In the Lombard case the fight was brought to him and Lombard really wanted it. In this Faber one it was a hypothetical and the topic was brought up by the interviewer. Also Joe Silva and Sean Shelby are the matchmakers.

were talking 2 times in 1 week.

The list is much longer

Just think about that, twice in 1 week this has come up.
9/1/14 5:49 PM
Masterclass
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Eakin - I think Dillashaw has to be Assuncao before Faber would get a shot. Phone Post 3.0

Not that I disagree but, UFC should have Faber ranked #3 and Assuncao #2.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.