UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tank Abbott says UFC 6 was really the first UFC

9/3/14 7:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Blade Brown
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In this interview Tank explains how the Gracie's were no longer involved and there was no conflict of intrest. He says how all the fighters weighed 100lbs more. The Gracie's hand picked all the fighters in all UFCs leading up to 6. Tank says UFC 6 is actually UFC 1. In a lot of ways this is very true. Here's the interview

http://youtu.be/vCictfK4gP0 Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 7:38 PM
Blade Brown

Does anyone really believe that Royce Gracie would have beaten Matua, Varlens, and Oleg in the same night? Not bloody likely Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 7:38 PM
Topsyjt
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtu.be/vCictfK4gP0

http://youtu.be/vCictfK4gP0

9/3/14 7:41 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/3/14 7:46 PM
teamquestnorth
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would have loved to have seen a prime tank vs royce. Tank lands one puch and royce flys 50 ft across the octagon. I never thought about this before but tank is right. Royce ducked out at the right time. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 7:49 PM
pharochuck
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Blade Brown - Does anyone really believe that Royce Gracie would have beaten Matua, Varlens, and Oleg in the same night? Not bloody likely Phone Post 3.0

oleg was good. oleg could have won the first few ufc's just like royce did. varlens and matua? right draw and circumstances. not much can be done to really diminsh royce accomplishments. especially not the what if game

9/3/14 7:55 PM
Blade Brown

pharochuck -
Blade Brown - Does anyone really believe that Royce Gracie would have beaten Matua, Varlens, and Oleg in the same night? Not bloody likely Phone Post 3.0

oleg was good. oleg could have won the first few ufc's just like royce did. varlens and matua? right draw and circumstances. not much can be done to really diminsh royce accomplishments. especially not the what if game

I just Remeber how completly drained and broken Royce was after the Kimo fight. I just see him having trouble submitting two giants like Varlenes and Matua without taking a beating in the process Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 7:56 PM
AlphaTardTravisFan
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 8:06 PM
Happiness Bunny
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blade Brown - 
pharochuck -

I just Remeber how completly drained and broken Royce was after the Kimo fight. I just see him having trouble submitting two giants like Varlenes and Matua without taking a beating in the process Phone Post 3.0

Yeah man he was done. I know it was not against the rules back then but I always viewed Royce's hair pulling to be shameful.

Oleg would have smashed him.
9/3/14 8:13 PM
pharochuck
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/03/14 8:15 PM
teamquestnorth - I would have loved to have seen a prime tank vs royce. Tank lands one puch and royce flys 50 ft across the octagon. I never thought about this before but tank is right. Royce ducked out at the right time. Phone Post 3.0

would tank have won ufc 1? would he have beat pat smith? (yes i know about the elevator altercation. tank and crew vs smith) would tank have been able to win an actual match? i doubt it. pat smith was a very good striker. tank might have got ate alive.

would tank have beat ken shamrock in ufc 1? nope

would tank have beat gordeau? nope

would tank beat art jimmerson? lol, nope. tanks bar brawling stand up style against a guy who was a former national golden gloves champion and 29-5 as a pro with 22 knock outs. how do you see a stand up fight like that going?

would he beat kevin rosier in a fight? lol, no way. a stand up brawler like tank would get ate alive by rosier

tank is sounding like a bad ass and there is this myth that anyone who came later could have done what royce did and that's just not true. tank would have never beat ken and he would only have a puncher's chance against smith, rosier or jimmerson. each one of them had stand up skills light years beyond tank

9/3/14 8:14 PM
pharochuck

Blade Brown - 
pharochuck -

they were tough guys. but to say the real fighters didn't come until ufc 6 is just tank spouting off. what royce did was an accomplishment

9/3/14 8:22 PM
teamquestnorth
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pharochuck -
teamquestnorth - I would have loved to have seen a prime tank vs royce. Tank lands one puch and royce flys 50 ft across the octagon. I never thought about this before but tank is right. Royce ducked out at the right time. Phone Post 3.0

would tank have won ufc 1? would he have beat pat smith? (yes i know about the elevator altercation. tank and crew vs smith) would tank have been able to win an actual match? i doubt it. pat smith was a very good striker. tank might have got ate alive.

would tank beat art jimmerson? lol, nope. tanks bar brawling stand up style against a guy who was a former national golden gloves champion and 29-5 as a pro with 22 knock outs. how do you see a stand up fight like that going?

would he beat kevin rosier in a fight? lol, no way. a stand up brawler like tank would get ate alive by rosier

tank is sounding like a bad ass and there is this myth that anyone who came later could have done what royce did and that's just not true. tank would have never beat ken and he would only have a puncher's chance against smith, rosier or jimmerson. each one of them had stand up skills light years beyond tank

Lol idk about all that. Ill give u that a prime tank vs royce would have been debatable maybe. Tank vs rozier though? Rozier gassed out hard in ufc 1. Like 1 minute in gased out.

Tank fought ufc 6 at high altitude too and demilished his opponents except for taktarov.

Either way, Ive never heard this argument before tonight and its VERY interesting. I would have loved to have seen it. No one knows how it would have gone down, but damn that would have been interesting. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 8:27 PM
cantuna4u
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oleg beats Royce. On the ground Oleg still loses. Especially in UFC 1.
By 6 everyone expected BJJ and kinda knew what it was about.
In1. It was still the Gracie secret.
Imo. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 8:33 PM
teamquestnorth

Its readily apparent why tournaments dont work. Thats why it ruined bellator and they got rid of them and the ufc ditched them 15 years ago. Too much can go wrong.

The tourney format robbed us all of good fights in the early days Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 8:39 PM
Blade Brown

If Tank was outmatched by Pat Smith in the striking he would of just taken Smith to the mat. Iv heard Tito Ortiz say Tank was a div 1 wrestler. I know this is all "what if" but it's fun to talk about for some reason Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 8:43 PM
teamquestnorth

Tank would have wreaked havok in ufc 1 and ruined the Gracie plans.

We should all be thankful because if that would have happened, the ufc would have died and the gracies would have been standing in line for EBT cards after that instead of spreading the myth of invinscibility Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 8:47 PM
Rhymenoceros
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tank is a moron.

The first few UFCs weren't to show fat bar brawlers beat each other in the head, that's what Tough Man was for. They were to showcase different martial arts fighting each other. Fat barstool warriors weren't representing a martial art (not a real one anyway), wouldn't have been as interesting to a viewing public who wanted to see a karate guy fight a kung fu guy.

And by the way, what the public wants to see still drives who the UFC signs to fight. Case in point: Ben Askren.
9/3/14 8:50 PM
teamquestnorth

Rhymenoceros - Tank is a moron.

The first few UFCs weren't to show fat bar brawlers beat each other in the head, that's what Tough Man was for. They were to showcase different martial arts fighting each other. Fat barstool warriors weren't representing a martial art (not a real one anyway), wouldn't have been as interesting to a viewing public who wanted to see a karate guy fight a kung fu guy.

And by the way, what the public wants to see still drives who the UFC signs to fight. Case in point: Ben Askren.
That "fat bar brawler" would have demolished anyone in UFC 1. We both know that. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 9:00 PM
Rhymenoceros
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth - 

That "fat bar brawler" would have demolished anyone in UFC 1. We both know that. Phone Post 3.0

I don't know. I think Royce could have subbed him, but it would have been difficult, and Royce wouldn't have been in a good condition to continue.

Shamrock probably would have leg locked him pretty easily.

Gordeau might have been able to outpoint him until he tired (which never took too long) and then put him away.
9/3/14 9:06 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the public wants to see?

Case in point: Brock Lesnar.

Ben Askren is in OneFC and NOBODY watched him in Bellator.

Only a vocal minority of MMA fans care that Ben isn't in the UFC.

Tank Abbott's UFC comeback to face Mir at UFC 43 was big news. That was a hot ticket.

If and when Askren does come to the UFC it won't rival Tank Abbott or Brock Lesnar.

The public doesn't want to see Ben or they'd be watching NCAA wrestling instead of NCAA basketball.

Askren is GREAT. I DO want to see him in UFC but I'm not the casual fan and the casual fan does prefer a Tank type all day long. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 9:27 PM
Rhymenoceros

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 

What the public wants to see?

Case in point: Brock Lesnar.

Ben Askren is in OneFC and NOBODY watched him in Bellator.

Only a vocal minority of MMA fans care that Ben isn't in the UFC.

Tank Abbott's UFC comeback to face Mir at UFC 43 was big news. That was a hot ticket.

If and when Askren does come to the UFC it won't rival Tank Abbott or Brock Lesnar.

The public doesn't want to see Ben or they'd be watching NCAA wrestling instead of NCAA basketball.

Askren is GREAT. I DO want to see him in UFC but I'm not the casual fan and the casual fan does prefer a Tank type all day long. Phone Post 3.0

You are arguing my point. Most UFC fans don't give a shit about Ben Askren. Very few want to see him, so there is no urgency by the UFC to sign him.

Lesnar is also a great point. In no way was he ready for the major leagues when the UFC signed him, and he could have benefitted from some warm up fights, but the public demand was that he fight the best right away. So again, what the public wants, the public seems to get.

By UFC 6 people wanted to see big bad dudes go at it. If they had signed a bunch of 160 lb Kung Fu guys to fight who would have cared?

Let's also not forget that by UFC 6 Royce was fighting in superfights, not the tournament, so there would have been no chance for Tank to fight him anyway.
9/3/14 9:29 PM
klabo

teamquestnorth - I would have loved to have seen a prime tank vs royce. Tank lands one puch and royce flys 50 ft across the octagon. I never thought about this before but tank is right. Royce ducked out at the right time. Phone Post 3.0
Truth Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 9:47 PM
Blade Brown

klabo -
teamquestnorth - I would have loved to have seen a prime tank vs royce. Tank lands one puch and royce flys 50 ft across the octagon. I never thought about this before but tank is right. Royce ducked out at the right time. Phone Post 3.0
Truth Phone Post 3.0
The Tank at UFC 6 was just such a bad mutha fucka. I think that will probably remain my favorite event forever. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 9:56 PM
Art(Monday Night Instigator)

Who's Ben Askren? Phone Post 3.0
9/3/14 10:03 PM
StutheJu

pharochuck -

Truth! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.