UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Americans in Japan????

7/14/03 6:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jjay
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jul-03

What is it like? Is is difficult to live there? What about work, and training? Jay
7/14/03 9:24 PM
jjay

Edited: 14-Jul-03
Anyone?
7/15/03 10:16 PM
Sha Bi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jul-03
I'm not the most experienced guy to answer your questions, but I'll throw out a couple of things. Except for teaching English, finding work is tough. Training is great, at least in Tokyo there were lots of options. Knowing some Japanese helps, but you could live there knowing almost nothing if you're a little bit adventureous. I loved the year I spent there. If you get the chance, it is a fabulous country imho.
7/16/03 5:53 PM
jjay

Edited: 16-Jul-03
What is th process for getting a work visa like? Jay
7/16/03 6:52 PM
RichardWagner

Edited: 16-Jul-03
r
7/18/03 5:38 AM
Sha Bi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jul-03
If you plan on teaching English, the company you get a job with will hook you up with a work visa. I was on a student visa, so I don't know too much more about the process, sorry. If you find a job there, getting a visa shouldn't be any problem.
7/19/03 8:08 AM
Innou

Edited: 19-Jul-03
life is great. Very safe in the first place, in the second place, when you hear about violence on the news its always japanese v japanese, the dont go after gaijin. Tho that doesnt mean u should become an arrogant dick just because u can get away with more. the job (teaching) only has one bad point, its mindlessly boring, but often refered to as the easiest money u'll earn.
7/23/03 12:02 AM
cycklops
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jul-03
I was there for 4 years. I was down in Fukuoka. Good place. A little less dense as far as population goes (if there is such a thing in Japan). One way to stay is have a 4 year degree that will get you a visa to work. Cost of living is high but pay can be commensurate. Don't necessarily have to speak Japanese as you'll probably make friends (even if you're a dick it seems to be OK). Speaking Japanese helps but you may find that the more you speak and understand the more trouble you find. All in all it's good and reccomended.
7/23/03 12:04 AM
cycklops
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Innou- What are you talking about you can get away with more being a gaijin?
7/23/03 12:48 AM
Innou

im talking about being rude, arrogant, intimidating people in public places. Normally it could get u into a fight and potential beatdown. In japan they just take it. Japanese can also get away with such behavior, but it the gaijin he stand out to me
8/4/03 10:56 PM
cycklops

Edited: 04-Aug-03
I see.
8/29/03 5:06 PM
LimpingLogan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-03
ttt
8/30/03 4:53 AM
Innou

Edited: 30-Aug-03
being very rude, yelling at people, being intimdating etc. Unfortunately japanese people are very easily intimidated and this can be taken advantage of.
9/3/03 12:14 AM
jdbtensai

Edited: 03-Sep-03
i wouldn't want to live there for a long time if i didn't speak japanese, at least a little, before i went there. teaching english, for years, would SUCK. but it can be a way to get a visa and get started over there.
9/6/03 1:47 PM
slieone

Edited: 06-Sep-03
I dream of living in Japan... Someday I will! Slieone
9/10/03 10:12 AM
konoyaro

Edited: 10-Sep-03
LOL@punching above their weight. I don't know if that's true or not, but that seems to be a common stereotypical perception. The cartoon below illustrates this point... http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections/issue8/images/mclelland.jpg
9/11/03 6:05 PM
Big Pete

Edited: 11-Sep-03
Can anyone translate this to english for me i am trying to oreder off the japenese pride site or email me at lyncar108@aol.com if you can help. Thanks Name: 쳌uƒqƒ‡쳌[ƒhƒ‹TƒVƒƒƒc쳌v Price: 3쳌A800‰~ Color: NAVY Size: S쳌^M쳌^L쳌^XL This is a Navy Fedor shirt...
9/17/03 12:10 AM
gakami

Edited: 17-Sep-03
Can I ask something - I look Japanese (I'm not Jap). If some gaijin assumes I'm Jap and tries his intimidating bullshit on me, and I step up to him, how much trouble will I get into, or how would I be viewed by other Japanese? Would they ignore the altercation, or would they think it's a good thing that rude guy got his ass kicked cos he was asking for it in the first place, or would they totally abhorr my reaction and report me to the police?
9/17/03 8:37 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Why is it that nerdy American guys can "punch above their weight" in Japan, when it comes to dating? Because they are simply foreign looking/American they are treated as the equivalent of good looking Japanese guy? " easy answer, it's because they are exotic. You now stand out of the crowd. It's the same reason why my nerdy australian friend who never could get anything but fat chicks here, managed to pick up a lot of hotties while spending a year living in the states. The fact that he was Australian not an American made all the difference. I have always had a much better chance of picking up an American or English girl than I do an Australian one. Unfortunetly there are way too many the "annoying gaijin" types around tokyo (and probably osaka) but the futher you get away from the english catered areas the less you see of them. The majority of them do tend to be military, non-japanese speaking english teachers and short term tourists and can be avoided pretty easily. My worst experiences came from two seperate fights with US navy personal who thought they could push away with pushing everyone around. Walking through some parts of tokyo and seeing what some of the other foreigners were doing made me feel ashamed to be white for the only time in my life. And this is coming from a man who's bare arse has appeared on Australian TV twice :P I did meet some really cool guys while I was there (from the US and Europe) but I also met a lot of assholes too. I never could work out which group was worse, the loser turned self proclaimed sex symbol walking around with their skanky 40 year old looking girlfriends, or the guys who because they outside of their home country think they are suddenly tough shit and can get away with treating people anyway they like. I should point out that this behaviour isn't limited to Japan. It just happens more in Japan than in western countries because you can get away with it more easily. anyway this is a lot of complaining from me about a matter this is only a small part of life in Japan :P
9/17/03 8:59 AM
gakami

Can you expand on those two fights with the US navies please. How did the Japanese react? Were you standing up for someone else? I've witnessed a hell of a lot of racism in Australia while I was growing here, as well as being on the receiving end of prejudice as a young kid. But I'm older now and if anyone gave me any bullshit, I'd step up to them. To see the kind of bullshit intimidation behaviour from "gaijin" in Japan would only piss me off and god help any one who tries that shit on me. But I wouldn't know how I would be perceived by the Japanese if I pushed back in a situation like those described above. And this is coming from someone who's bare ass (not literally) has appeared in Australian national TV a few times.
9/17/03 10:49 AM
DemonClown

I don't know but I think it would just be viewed as an altercation between two foreigners; not much else. It's hard to say. I imagine some people would appreciate you putting an asshole in his place, regardless of his nationality. However, anger/violence is seen somewhat as childish or showing a lack of restraint. Temper tantrums and the like are less likely to occur here... Of course the opinions of those around you will depend on what they think of you, etc. Dogmeat is pretty darn correct in his assessment of a lot of the sadder foreigners living in Japan. I detest people thinking they have prestige or or toughness just based on their skin color, nationality, etc.
10/12/03 12:45 PM
Sothy

Edited: 12-Oct-03
The hotest Japanese women are with Japanese men. The smartest Japanese women are with foreign men, but not english-teaching foreign men. The stupidest (yeah yeah) Japanese women are with foreign men. The fairly cute Japanese women are with foreign men. A lot of people are a mix of the pools above, with a lot of foreign men pulling a mix of the latter two. Yeah, I hope I am an exception to that... Oh, if you look at who Reina Tanaka, etc. are dating, they are dating Japanese men. They are the super hot idols with Japanese boyfriends (always some exceptions, but those exceptions are super successful themselves). The really smart ones are the ones who went to Todai or Kyodai university (ie. the Harvard/Yale/Oxford/Cambridge) types here who can itimidate some guys just because of their success (including me ;o). These ones sometimes end up with foreign guys, but once again super-successful ones since they are smart enough to leave Japan if they actually wanted to (many don't want to obviously). By stupid I mean the Japanese women who actually seem to think that their foreign boyfriend who is cheating on them is actually a nice guy. Great job...by fairly cute, I mean really good looking at times, but not idol level. That is the dating situation in a nutshell. If you are lucky, you can date someone who doesn't fit into the above categories, but you have to be lucky in truth (or the type of person who doesn't need Japan to get a date). Btw, this is also true for foreign women in Japan. A lot of them pull a good looking Japanese man just because they are foreign...of course stereotypes about small dicks, Japanese men always being chauvinists (sp?), etc. mean that most foreign women aren't even going to try to date a "local" person (even though some are hung like horses, are super nice, etc.), with the effect being that they are either bitter or really easy to pick-up or both. Mind you, all of the above is a stereotype, and hey, hopefully I don't fit the mold, and yes, I am exaggerating. Still...
10/13/03 4:05 AM
CocaCola0

Edited: 13-Oct-03
Japanese women dislike stupid foreigners like you. It's a stupid bitch that you can get.
10/13/03 12:42 PM
Circus

Edited: 13-Oct-03
Stupid pretty bitches have more demands than smart ugly bitches. That is the way the market works and always will.
10/14/03 1:18 AM
Sothy

Edited: 14-Oct-03
stupid?...me? My girlfriend ain't stupid ;o) And she ain't ugly, but the above stereotype was reached on consensus by a few Japanese and non-Japanese people living here. Hey, it IS a stereotype, so yeah, a lot of people don't follow it, but go out to the more gaijin-type clubs and tell that some of the above isn't very true... go on. Circus that is true, looks are a better indicator of genetic health than IQ.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.