UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Need Fight Advice Geared To Women

8/7/03 12:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JosieinAtl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Aug-03

First, let me say I'm completely new to the world of martial arts. An underground memeber referred me to your Q& A and I'm open to any and all feedback. I'm working on an article idea geared towards teaching women about the different fight disciplines and the unique benefits that come with each. Didn't know much about the trends right now. Just curious if certain fight styles are more suited for women vs other fight styles and also what is the most popular at the moment? Also, my assumption behind the motivation for the majority of women currently involved or thinking of pursuing a fight discipline is self-defense motivated. With the different forms of attacks a woman could be faced with, ie domestic abuse, rape, cat-fights-being the most typical-Is there a discipline that works great in every scenario? If not, what would be the best fight style for each situation posed? I could go on and on...I look forward to any and all feeback. I also hope my question is appropiate for this forum.
8/7/03 8:36 AM
philw

You have come to a place where you will learn about far more than a "fight style". Tony Blauer's Personal Defense Readiness program teaches tools and tactics to handle every aspect of confrontation managment and is at least as useful to women as it is to men. As a woman who studied several styles of martial arts before discovering Mr. Blauer and his research, I highly recommend a thorough investigation of this material for protecting against the type of attacks you refer to (domestic abuse, rape, cat-fights). In fact, I couldn't in good conscience refer you anywhere else. The physical tools are second to none, but perhaps more importantly you will discover that there is far more to actually defending against those types of attacks than the physical "fight style". There is an emotional attack and psycological attack associated with each of these confrontations, and the PDR prepares men and women for those aspects of the "fight" as well. Your question is HUGE! You have a lot of homework to do if you want to cover the unique benefits of the PDR training. They are numerous and varied. This system is not only "more suited" to women, it is more suited to anyone who truly cares about their safety and the safety of their loved ones.
8/7/03 2:46 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 07-Aug-03 02:49 PM
One of the doctrines of Blauer Tactical is that if it works, it works. The same stuff is taught to men and women. I believe in this. Some folks would have you believe that women ought ought to use kicking rather than punching because of lesser upper-body strength. These are folks who don't understand that no matter the weapon, power comes from bodyweight transfer. A relatively small proportion of a punch's power is generated by the muscles of the arm. The idea that women are more suited to "softer styles", etc. is nonsense. They may feel more at ease at first, because it's more congruent with the way they were acculturated. (One exception that comes to mind is that some wrestling methods like greco-roman which are really good, but can be difficult to do if there is big difference in size and strength. But they're trained by men and women alike nonetheless.) Much of the esoteric stuff is nonsense anyway because it can't be pulled off during an adrenaline dump. No matter how good your instructor is, or how good the "system" is, your own capacity and skill is what will keep you safe. "Karate", "aikido", "JKD", "vale tudo", "combatives", "Blauer Tactical", these are just words. What matters is what you DO. So much for that. One of the things that Blauer teaches regarding self-defense pertains very closely to what you've been talking about. He says that there are finite--and actually very FEW--plausible WAYS and PLACES that you can be attacked, as well as only three things that an attacker ever wants. *WAYS some say there are maybe around twelve "primary" attacks. front choke front lapel grab-and-haymaker bear hug over/under arms, front/back and so on... So find versatile, gross-motor tactics to deal with each. Gross-motor because when you're adrenalized, fine- and complex-motor skills are not accessible. *PLACES figure out stuff for when you're in and around your home (so this means domestic violence and home invasions) your car (carjacking, s.o. hiding in your parked car) parking lot jogging etc. REASONS (what the attacker wants) your property your body your life Blauer's material has been very good for putting violence into perspective. He also does a lot of teaching about the role of psychology: fear management, interpersonal dynamics in an attack, and psychology as it relates to human peformance under extreme stress. I don't know if some of this is a little abstract for someone who hasn't gone through the journey of exploring what martial arts/sciences/athletics has to offer. Long story short, the way many martial arts are usually trained, they don't really do much to enhance your survivability in the event of an attack. There are a handful of reality-oriented systems. I call most of them "synthetic" systems in that they were "synthesized", put together as though from puzzle pieces, by some very bright individual in the last thirty years. Blauer Tactical would be at the top of that pile. I'd be very happy to discuss this further at ironmongoose@yahoo.com
8/7/03 5:46 PM
JosieinAtl

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Ironmongoose-Since I have no exposure to martial arts training-i bring a blank slate to this discussion. But, I can appreciate the psychology and survivability that go into getting anyone out of an attack situation. Since posing this question I've received so many differing opinions and recommendations regarding fight styles-with most of it being simply just to run. When you speak "the way many martial arts are trained, they don't do much to enhance your survivability in the event of an attack" Would this also include competition type fighting? How accessible is the Blauer system? Is this something that is taught at fight gyms? Let's just say, I end up trying to learn jiu-jitsu -what should i be looking when approaching fight schools? Any tips you can give would be appreciated. It just seems there are so many cookie-cutter karate type gyms. How do you seperate the best from the best?
8/7/03 10:38 PM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Thanks Iron & philw, some good thoughts and very nice comments, I think the ball is in the court of JosieinAtl, the answers are not found on paper. JosieinAtl: you need to research some areas as a journalist and let your 'hunch' help you dicern fantasy from fiction & ultimately non-fiction. Feel free to email my office for an info package. There are also many articles to read on my website: www.tonyblauer.com Thansk for the inquiry, TOny
8/8/03 8:43 AM
JMullings

Edited: 08-Aug-03 08:59 AM
Josie, You mention...."What is the most popular style at the moment". The martial arts, like every other business has its trends and flavor of the month. You will see here on the UnderGround that it depends who is answering the question you ask. If you are asking a BJJ person what is best, most of them will tell you that "every fight ends up on the ground"....ask a Boxer and most of them will tell you "every fight starts standing up" and so on. As others have pointed out in this thread, there are 3 aspects to your ability to protect yourself, they are your emotional, psychological and physical toolboxes. I will try and answer this from a PDR Coach perspective and a martial arts school owner perspective. Again, these are my hallucinations :) Our school curriculum teaches PDR, BJJ, Freestyle Fighting and Kenpo. For the self defense or as I like to call it self-protection (less prey minded) aspect of our programs, everything is run thru the PDR/Blauer filter. To train properly for a real self defense / self protection situation, (not a sport fight), you need to understand the entire conitinuum of an assault. One of the unique things that the PDR teaches is the anatomy of the assault. The PDR program is not meant to take the place of existing martial training, instead enhance it. If you can imagine a time line, here is how we break down the components of an "assault": Stage 1 - The emotional, psychological assault (verbal, imagined outcome, manifestation of fear, etc) Stage 2 - The physical ambush (you being sniped or potentially surprise physically attacked) Stage 3 - The physical fight (the fight is on assuming you weathered the ambush) Stage 4- The post fight consequences (the moral, legal and emotional consequences) Most martial arts focus exclusively on stage 3, the physical. Not only the physical, but assuming you know '"exactly what attack is coming". In other words, against a front kick, you do this. Against a straight right punch, you do this, and so on. In a ballistic emotional, physical and psychological attack you most likely will not be able to pull off any of the complex motor skills required with limited training. Having said that, I do believe that you need a foundational delivery system in Stage 3 in order to potentially defend yourself. This is where your BJJ, Kenpo, Aikido, Krav Maga (insert self defense here) come into play. However, it should be strongly noted, that if you dont understand the dynamics of Stages 1 & 2........you will probably never make it to Stage 3 and be able to access your own personal "delivery system". If you are working with a self defense style that is sport oriented, or traditional martial arts oriented, make sure that you run those techniques thru what PDR calls primal, protective and tactical evolutions. In other words, as a student and teacher, my school has taken the classic martial arts "moves" and taught them to our students for their belt tests to gain rank, but also pressure test them in the 3 ranges pri/pro/tac so the student understands the assets and liability of each technique in "todays real world of attacks". One of the unique things about the Blauer material is its addresses all of the stages of 1 thru 4. It also gives you the physical ranges of tools required in stand up, clinching, and the ground. Its "filter" as I call it, has you fighting from a primal/protective and tactical aspect in each situation. Contact corporate for more understanding on this concept. Hope this confused you more :) Joe Mullings www.amma.tv
8/8/03 9:02 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 08-Aug-03
:-) Nice analysis Joe. TOny
8/8/03 7:11 PM
Kerri

Edited: 08-Aug-03
From my own experience, I have learned that when things are advertised as "Women's Self-Defense" and "Things every Woman Should Know About Personal Protection" and the like, oftentimes (not every time) but oftentimes it is the same material/concepts that the 'men' learn but watered down. OR, it is what women THINK they need (empowerment)like 'you can stop most attackers with a knee strike and a palm heel'. Most women LOVE to hear that stuff -- easy fix. It's all crap, but... Face it, MOST women want to sit and listen to someone talk about self-defense but when it comes to actually practicing it, excuse after excuse fills the air. I enjoy learning the PDR conepts. Tony Blauer has taught me a lot. He's taught me more about self-defense in one year than my traditional martial art has in 15 years. Good luck with your quest. Kerri
8/9/03 5:13 PM
JosieinAtl

Edited: 09-Aug-03
Tony-I'll be sure to check out your site JMullings-I 2nd Tony's complement. Well put. On the contrary, you've perfectly summed up the gist of what I've been hearing from here and the Underground. Kerri-I couldn't agree more. I originally intended to angle this article to highlight the benefits of MA training with self defense being the overiding motivation a woman would use to take such a class. However, I want to avoid producing another 'empowerment' article that ultimate leads to a false sense of security. I've had many misconceptions going into this article-now I'm stepping back and taking a different approach. Instead I want to highlight the 'fun' side to MA and the comraderie that can be gained within this community. Plus, there are self-defense benefits that can be gained. Since I'm gearing this article towards women new to the sport-I think that highlighting this aspect would prove far more encouraging and realistic. I think that if many women walked into the sport with self-defense being the only motivation-many would not stick with it or may even be discouraged. Because it's not something that comes overnight and contrary to what is advertised women do have limitations. I think if women can have fun with it-they will gradually advance themselves into the psychological/techinque aspect of MA. Thanks again for everyone's feedback!
8/15/03 11:38 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 15-Aug-03
'I enjoy learning the PDR conepts. Tony Blauer has taught me a lot. He's taught me more about self-defense in one year than my traditional martial art has in 15 years. " :-) Thanks Kerri!
8/28/03 7:11 PM
C-Lo

Edited: 28-Aug-03
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.