UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> One handed Fight Training?

8/10/03 3:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
domyancic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Aug-03

Hello Brothers, I do have a question and would like some input from the following here on how to train for combatives with a bum shoulder. First though, I just want to say hello and as always thank Tony as well as others on here who have impacted my life and law enforcement career with their example and integrity. Miss training with you all, its been too long. I am nearing the end of another police academy, and HOPEFULLY my last!! I chose my current department due to professional and personal reasons of relocation, but its one of the few places that doesnt take laterals. So, Im almost finished with another full time 6 month police academy...thankfully this one wasnt like the last living in barricks, but it was still full of plenty busywork and the normal things that can get old in that environment. The DT, PT, firearms, and driving was a cut above the last academy so that was good. More scenario based training, for real hands on, and passionate instruction. They mentioned Tony alot, as well read his PC article and other quotes from his works. That was cool!! Any LEOs in the northern VA/DC area that wants to do some training hands on or firearms please contact me!! Now to my question...I want to get back into fight training for the streets...and maybe some mma for fun...but I have one issue...I banged up my shoulder good in college football, didnt get the surgery I needed because I didnt want to miss spring ball, then dislocated it again years later in BJJ...again, didnt want surgery it would take me off the streets, as well out of the gym which would drive me nuts. Eventually Ill have to get it, but now that Im almost on the streets again I dont want the surgery until its necessary. From coaching and training with college athletes, I also caused some problems overtime doing heavy olympic lifting and powerlifting. From what the last sports med doc told me laughing, he didnt know how my shoulder held up to the training or fights on the job Ive been in. I have detached ligaments, the capsule is damaged in front and rear, my AC joint needs surgery too, and my clavicle is hooked which impinges the rotator cuff. I dont know all the technical terms, but basically my shoulder could come out doing just about anything, and when I irritate it with certain lifting or when I used to practice striking, it inflames the heck outta the RC and also irritates the AC joint and is painful...but still I can train and its held up in fights, just need to constantly monitor it so I dont need to get anymore cortisone, the prolotherapy didnt work at all...question is, how do I train street fighting DT or MMA working mostly with the one good arm and protecting the bad limb? I dont want to NOT train! Any suggestions for workouts, techniques, strategy? Im hoping to possibly train some with the full time DT guys once academy is over, and looking into 3 MMA school around here but doubt I can afford them at this point with the paycut I took to come here, plus the wrong partners in MMA could mean messing the shoulder up if they arent in control with submission type stuff. Well, that was long winded. God bless all and stay safe. My email is bushidotnt@aol.com if anyone wants to contact me. Respectfully, Matt
8/15/03 11:37 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 15-Aug-03
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Matt, Im on holidays for another 10 days, will get to this later :-) T
8/16/03 7:33 PM
Sean Mulligan

Edited: 16-Aug-03
domyancic, Glad to hear from you again. I'll take a stab at this, having had surgery repairing many of the same symptoms you described above and being involved in the LEO field. Prior to having the surgery, I was involved in several physical confrontations which resulted in my shoulder being sub-located, partially dislocated to the point where I could put it back in myself which provided a couple of years of continuous pain and the worry of having it pop out in my next fight. If you can, take the time now to repair something that may cause more grief in the future. Having gotten that out of the way. Remember, "Are you training for your last fight or your next fight?" If you currently have a shoulder injury which would affect how you fight, then you should train as you would fight until you have the problem corrected. Essentially, as Tony states in the PDR Manual, we can not determine when, were, or from which side we will be ambushed. This is one of the main items that seperates the 'street' model from the sport model. So as a proactive fighter, we must train our natural tools from both sides, taking into consideration any inuries that we may be suffering from. A true warrior seeks out his own personal limitations first. Discover what you can or can not do in a controlled environment to creat mental blueprints of what you need to do to get back to your own personal Point of Domination in the fight. I would suggest starting off with Emotional Climate Training evolutions against the Primary Initiation Attacks. Once you have worked your way through these, then begin to play with the Range Rover, identifying any limitations from the injuries. Then I would inject some Ballistic Micro-fights at 1/3 speed without gear to continue and isolate what you can do without aggrivating the shoulder any further from off-balance positions. Finally, once you're confident that you have developed a toolbox around the shoulder injury, starting increasing the intensity applying gear to further injure yourself. On top of the physical drills, you should re-view the cerebral arsenal, creating a directive, a wish list using the 3 P's, and re-evaluate your fear management to get you back in the fight should you re-injure the shoulder. I hope that this makes sense and offers some ideas for you. Good luck an keep me posted! Sean Mulligan BTS LEO/PDR Training Team sean@tonyblauer.com
8/18/03 6:41 AM
domyancic

Edited: 18-Aug-03
Thanks Tony and Sean! Sean I appreciate the advice and will start getting my mind back into the training mode and look into your suggestions. I appreciate it!!!! I know surgery is inevitable at some point, I want to get my FTO period over with for sure first, and of course Im not looking forward to going under the knife and missing working the streets or being in the gym for the 6-9 months they said it would take to recover from all the issues I have. God Bless! Matt
8/18/03 12:58 PM
philw

Edited: 18-Aug-03
Matt, Having just had shoulder surgery myself I wanted to add one thing. Don't make it tougher on yourself by focusing on what you won't be able to do post op. You certainly won't have to be out of the gym for 6-9 months, you will just have to adjust your workouts to accommodate your recovery. You can still work legs, cardio etc., maybe not in the first week, but probably sooner than you think. I was told all the "worst case scenario" stuff by my doctors before surgery, but I had much less pain than they anticipated and a much quicker recovery. Try to be positive about it if the surgery is inevitable. Get it done as soon as your schedule permits so that you can spend your mental and physical energy on recovery. I wasted a lot of energy dreading "going under the knife". In hindsight, it wasn't worth it. The actual surgery you sleep through!Then you get your life back. I'm much happier now working on my recovery and seeing progress, rather than thinking about how much extra damage I was doing by working out with the injury. Good luck to you!
8/23/03 1:33 PM
Rick T
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Aug-03
Matt I wont take it personal that you just plain out disappeared. Now that you are out doing your FTO I hope you got time for an old "brother". I sure as hell would love to check you out in VA. Stay safe,All the best!! Rick T.
8/29/03 5:06 PM
LimpingLogan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-03
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.