UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> G.A.R.

3/4/02 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gjkhoury
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Mar-02

Hi Team! For what it's worth, we teach our members here 3 important aspects of goal setting; all borrowed, but all super-important for the successful achievement of what you want most in life: 1.) Create a compelling WHY! If you don't know WHY you want something, or if your why is too weak, the hard work and determination needed to accomplish your goal will overwhelm you and you will wind up falling short. As Coach would say, your why has GOT to be personal, passionate and present focused. 2.) Goals have to be S.M.A.R.T.: To get what you want in life, your goals have to be (S)pecific! (I want $100 by Friday vs. I want more money.) Also, your goals have to be (M)easurable. Like the example above, you can't just want to be "better" at something, or have "more". To be successful, you have to qualify your accomplishments so you know when you've achieved them. Third, your goals must be (A)ttainable. White belts, realistically, should dream about their Yellow belts, not their Black Belts. In the same way, kids should focus first on what high school they want to attend before they start planning where they want to go to college. As I mentioned above, your goals must also be (R)elevant. What this means is that a police officer wanting to develop more physical strength may want to look like a bodybuilder, but in time, he will understand that having the perfect body is not truly relevant to the successful completion of his job. Over time, he will recognize that the energy he puts into looking like Arnold can and should be used somewhere else. Last, goals must be (T)ime bounded. This is better stated by the acknowledgement that goals are dreams with time limits. Remember, a goal is not truly a goal unless you have a completion date. Without one, your goals are just "good ideas". Finally, here is the formula we teach our members to complete their goals: 1.) Know exactly what you want! 2.) Have a specific plan to get it! 3.) Find a successful coach (someone who has "been there, done that") to help you along the way! 4.) Work, work, work--NEVER quit! 5.) Constantly review your progress and renew your goals! I wish that I could take credit for these ideas, but, unfortunately, they are not mine. They ARE effective, however, and I have successfully implemented them many times myself. Use them and pound your competition into submission! Regards, Gary
Sean Mulligan

Gary and Rob, Nice :) This is what i'm looking for. Insight into the tool development required for Goal setting. Keep it coming and soon we'll have a ballistic formula for all to access. Sean
Robb F

Awesome Thread!!!!!!!! The PDR manual offers a lot of great information on creating success with our G.A.R.'s. The ninth commandment of Street Survival says: "Thou Shalt Not Settle For Mediocrity." Within this Commandment Mr.Blauer discusses the three fundamental rules we all break that prevent us from maximizing our performance and goal development. 1) AVOID COMPARISON: "Compete with yourself. Use other people for inspiration only. If someone is better than you are, use his or her skill level as a reference point. Find out how they train and what their beliefs are. Many people miss this point and experience frustration in their training. The perjorative ego is duplicitous and works overtime on comparison. It is your job to defuse this emotional time bomb and get focused on your path." -Tony Blauer (PDR Manual) 2) DO NOT JUDGE: "Do not judge others. Don't even judge yourself. Learn to evaluate, diagnose, weigh and consider. When you change the judgement filter to one of analysis, you will gain so much more. Like comparison, judgement is a detour away from our goals." -Tony Blauer (PDR Manual) 3) LIMITING BELIEFS: Many of us have been fed negative programs during our life and these ideas eventually become our very own erroneous beliefs. And they severely handicap our growth... Beliefs that do not serve our goals, success, happiness or dreams must be purged from our mind. This is an easy process...unless you beleive it is too hard." -Tony Blauer (PDR Manual) These are little exerts out of the PDR Manual which help address the trap so many of us get into when starting something, but never finishing. I look forawrd to hearing some different angles from others on this forum. There is alot more depth to this thread than you might think. Dig deep...peel the onion further. Robb Finlayson, PDR Team
Sean Mulligan

Great, So we have Focus on the result by motivating through a visualization. This definately helps in achieving our goal. Can anyone else think of any other tools for empowering and have how about the actual ingredients when setting up your goal. Keep it coming!
truart

Sean, Although we use the GAR principle in ways both large and small throughout our daily routines, I will use an example of the process as it currently affecting me. A while back I set Goal of reaching a deeper understanding of Coach Blauer's TCMS, SPEAR System, and PDR philosophies, strategies, tactics and methods. Despite of decades of prior martial arts training I took Action by focusing solely on Tony's research, materials,drills and training. The Result...it's working. My growth as a student / coach / martial artist and person is continuous. The best thing is that every day I have an opportunity to go back to step one and apply the process again. Tony Torres Va Beach, Va
truart

OK Sean...I will throw two things out and let other PDR team members jump in. At the time I was experiencing some psychological fear. I had achieved a certain "status" in a martial arts community and my ego was interfering with my growth. I was visualizing and equating the apparent loss of that status as a failure. So F.E.A.R. management skills came into play. I realized I was wasting precious time imagining "terrible" things that had not happened yet. My training became the scenario, my survival and that of my students became my motivation, my visulizations became empowering rather than defeatist....and onward and upward... Ok guys jump in Tony Torres Va Beach, VA
Sean Mulligan

Tony T., That's a great example of appllying the G.A.R. principle, but what factors did you use to obtain the final goal. Think of it this way guy's. Often we are unable to accomplish what we set out to do because we aim too high. So, what conditions must be present to set realistic goals for ourselves and what factors or skills must we impliment to achieve our objective. For those of you familiar with the BTS's 'Cycle of Behavior' refer back to it for assistance. :)
Sean Mulligan

Guy's Sorry i haven't been as active lately as i would've liked to have been, been on the road for the past few weeks, which kind of leads into this topic. Since 9/11 we have seen an increase in persons signing up at self defence centers to better emhance their safety. But recently, now that the impact of the events are no longer fresh in our heads, more and more are dropping out. The same can be said for those who have set 'New Year's Resolutions'. After a couple of monthes, we seem to lose interest and never see our objectives through to the end. Mr. Blauer uses an acronym, G.A.R. ( Goal Action Result) to assist in this process. My question to all of you is this; Knowing the above, what are the key ingredients necessary to set goals that force us to do the actions required and see the results through to the end? Think back to personal experiences where we all had let ourselves down to some point, and ask why, when amd what? Perhaps it was procrastination... Hopefully you'll see where i am going with this. When we're done, we should have a template to assist in setting and developing our own personal goals as well as 'coach' others through this process. Good luck Sean PDR Team
3/5/02 12:00 AM
jsteinmann

Edited: 05-Mar-02
Great thread! Here's another tool from the BTS curriculum that might help: The Golden Rules. As an example, I'll use myself: I have, for several years DREAMED (that is, thought about, but done little about my thoughts) about doing some competitive martial arts. Kickboxing, boxing, grappling, MMA, etc. In motivating myself to finally get started, the Golden Rules were extremely useful. 1. Acceptance: The first thing I had to do was to honestly evaluate my skill level, and recognize that, despite years of training, I was/am not at a level to be competitive. My comfort zone in full contact striking was very low, and my grappling skills, while basic, needed to be better. Without acceptance, we cannot move forward. 2. Challenged vs. Threatened: Accepting my limitations was not enough. For a long time, F.E.A.R. and doubt kept me away from serious competitive training. I was, much like Tony Torres, used to having a certain status as a martial artist. I was used to being "really good", instead of "has potential, needs work". I had to view returning to the status of a beginner as a challenge, not a threat. Once I looked at it as an opportunity to become even better (instead of returning to something worse), only then did I really move. 3. Don't Stop Thinking: Even now, I constantly evaluate and re-evaluate my training. I watch training tapes, read articles on the web, analyze how my training is going, what needs work, what doesn't, whether or not all my time is being used wisely, etc… If you stop thinking, you stop progressing. That simple. "Often we are unable to accomplish what we set out to do because we aim too high." Truer words were never spoken! We should always remember that getting anywhere takes time…so give yourself the time to get there. A few useful quotes that popped to mind: "Do nothing which is of no use" - Miyamoto Musashi "Just Do It" - Nike Slogan "Anything worthwhile, isn't easy" - Can't remember right now… "You can't get time back" - Tony Blauer Just some thoughts, Jake Steinmann PDR Team
3/7/02 12:00 AM
Sean Mulligan

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Awesome! Anyone else before we wrap this up? I throw soemthing out there. What about the three P's. Personal-It has to mean something to you and your personal growth. Passionate-Without it we're unable to succeed. Present-Based on your personal evaluation of were you are right now, allowing you to set a goal of where you'd like to be. (This should be a continual process untill you've reached your objective. I've got more but i'm waiting to see what others have to offer. Hopefully those who are following and noticing a couple of things. One, that Mr. Blauer's research applies to everyday challenges, not just the physical fight. Secondly, that each and everyone of his concepts interlocks with and compliments each other, strengthening the System as a whole. Sean
3/7/02 12:00 AM
DirkE

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Great thread, guys. Just wanted to let you know that i'm going thru exatly what some of you stated here. The fear of starting over, the lack of passion , the inablity to see myself exactly where I want to be. I'm going to print this out and pin it up at my desk. Great insight from you all. Thanks, Dirk
3/8/02 12:00 AM
jsteinmann

Edited: 08-Mar-02
Dirk, Everyone has rough spots bro. "Failure is not falling down, failure is staying down" - Tony Blauer Stay strong! Jake

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.