UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> The ACL Injury F.A.Q.

8/19/03 1:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Aug-04 04:59 PM
FUEL FOR THE SPIRIT: (Quotes To Get You Through Rehab) It is difficulties that show what men are. Therefore, when a difficulty falls upon you, remember that God, like a trainer of wrestlers, has matched you against a rough opponent. "For what purpose?" you may say. Why, that you may become an Olympic conqueror. But it is not accomplished without sweat. - Epictetus A man shares his days with hunger, thirst, and cold, with the good times and the bad, and the first part of being a man is to understand that. - Louis L'Amour The man who masters his own soul will forever be called conqueror of conquerors - Plautus Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important than any other thing. - Abraham Lincoln Winning isn't everything. Wanting to win is. - Catfish Hunter The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience. - Leo Tolstoy Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. - Louis L'Amour First say to yourself what you would be, and then do what you have to do. - Epictetus I only train on days ending in a Y. - Neil Ohlenkamp The last of the human freedoms: to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way. - Viktor Frankel It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca What is mastery? At the heart of it, mastery is practice. Mastery is staying on the path. - George Leonard A champion shows who he is by what he does when he's tested. When a person gets up and says "I can still do it," he's a champion. - Evander Holyfield Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places no shower will ever reach. - Dr. George Sheehan If you are going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill Effort is only effort when it begins to hurt. - Ortega y Gasset
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-03 01:47 PM
You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - Babe Ruth The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. - Marcus Aurelius We cannot guarantee success. We can only deserve it. - Winston Churchill 90% of the game is half mental. - Yogi Berra The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner aspects of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives. - William James Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go. - William Feather Nana karobi ya okii. (Fall seven times, get up eight times) - attributed to 15th Century monk Bokuden It's not easy to be the best. You must have the courage to bear pain, disappointment and heartbreak. You must learn to face danger and understand fear, yet not be afraid. You establish your goal, and no matter what deters you along the way, in every waking moment you must say to yourself I CAN DO IT! - Amelia Earhardt If one does not fail at times then one has not challenged himself sufficiently. - Dr. Ferdinand Porsche Pain revealed what the Will is. Not determination about the future. Not a decision about what is to be done. Will is the acceptance of the Now, the painful, suffering, exhausting present in which I now exist. - Dr. George Sheehan When your arms are so tired that you can’t lift your guard - Fight one more round. When your legs are so tired that you can’t get to the middle of the ring - Fight one more round. When you are so tired you wish your opponent would put you to sleep - Fight one more round. The man who will always fight one more round is never beat! - James J. “Gentleman Jim” Corbett It’s what the champion does that makes him a champion...It’s what the other guy doesn’t do, that makes him a coward. - Constantine “Cus” D’Amato It is not because things are difficult that we dare not, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. - Seneca A champion is someone who gets back up - even if they can’t. - Jack Dempsey I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me, and when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone will be nothing, only I will remain. - The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear (from Frank Herbert's "Dune") Who dares, wins. - Motto of the British Special Air Service Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance. - Samuel Johnson Not to yield says it all. The enduring, the surviving, does not stop with age. We may even grow more skillful at it as the years pass. So we do not envy youth. We ask no quarter of life. We accept no favors. We are men following virtue and knowledge. - Dr. George Sheehan How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? - Satchel Paige Pain? What’s pain? I’ve had pain all my life. I’ve been hurt all my life. I’m never going to have the pain gone. The pain’s not going to be gone until I die. I’ve got too many joints that are beat up. It’s just the way it is. - Dan Gable Though a warrior be called a dog or a beast, what is basic for him is to win. - Asakura Norikage (1474 - 1555 A.D.) Citius, Altius, Fortius (Faster, Higher, Stronger) - Olympic Motto God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. - Elbert Hubbard Nothing is worth more than this day. - Goethe
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 19-Aug-03
(End of F.A.Q.)
8/21/03 1:31 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Aug-03
Awesome post, thanks!
8/22/03 3:32 AM
beauregard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Aug-03
Great Job. thank you. -s-
8/25/03 12:16 AM
Advanced BKJ

Edited: 25-Aug-03
ttt
8/28/03 8:03 PM
simkin

Edited: 28-Aug-03
ttt, please archive
10/15/03 2:10 PM
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 15-Oct-03
ttt - bringing this back to the top for someone who asked...
10/16/03 11:50 AM
Ziggydude

Edited: 16-Oct-03
Thanks, awesome post
10/29/03 1:24 AM
ThaDonRiz
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-03
ttt - This FAQ made things a lot easier on me these past few monthes. We need to keep this around.
11/14/03 11:16 PM
Ziggydude

Edited: 14-Nov-03
ttt to TheStewedOwl,just had my ACL hamstring graf wend. the 12. Everything seems to be going good. Just wanted to put this back to the top for anyone else, it help me alot. Unfortunely ther seemes to be alot of people going through the same thing.
11/18/03 2:33 PM
Phil Cardella
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Nov-03
Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Austin
http://home.att.net/~drdaveharris/prolotherapy/index.html - this stuff worked for me.
12/18/03 10:35 AM
biggy-g
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Dec-03
ttt for archiving this thread.
5/5/04 3:05 AM
ABSOLUTE JIU-JITSU

Edited: 05-May-04
MYNEWKNIFE
Awesome shit !!!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!
5/28/04 2:09 AM
ajn

Edited: 28-May-04
This is one of the single best and most useful posts I have seen on any forum. Bravo!
5/28/04 6:37 PM
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 28-May-04
thanks, ajn. TTT for someone who asked on another folder.
6/25/04 11:24 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jun-04
TTT for me
6/29/04 11:33 PM
Mjollnir

Edited: 01-Jul-04 02:34 AM
While snubbing out a judo throw at a recent BJJ tournament, my opponent's weight fell across the side of my right knee (a lot like what sounds like happened to StewedOwl). I felt the knee roll and heard a pop. It hurt pretty bad but I kept competing (winning 3 matches). I went to the doctor 2 days later and scheduled an MRI. After about a week the knee was feeling a lot better so I started running and training again. I put off for awhile, but eventually got the MRI just to be sure. The doctor went over the results with me today. I have a torn ACL and a big tear to the meniscus. Thanks for all the info Owl. This thread has already been a huge help. -Steve
7/17/04 6:48 PM
joos

Edited: 17-Jul-04
I just had my surgery this week: ACL replacement (using hamstring autograft)) ,and also a repaired medial meniscus. Thanks for posting this! Mike
7/25/04 4:49 AM
LeoKirby

Edited: 25-Jul-04
jluce, Had my ACL done 7/12. Sitting on a computer at 4:00 A.M. because the vicodin isn't quite doing the job tonight. It is not really the knee pain, but I went down to using one crutch this weekend and the different movement has created quite a bit of low back pain. I hadn't been on a stationary bike yet since my therapist hadn't told me to, but your post motivated me to try and I got a few rotations. Are you still using crutches? TheStewedOwl: Excellent Thread. Is the most helpful thing I have found since starting to research ACL months ago in anticipation.
8/2/04 9:41 AM
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 02-Aug-04
Yikes. That bit about working the scar with an unsanitary tool is scary. You should complain to the manager of the facility about that. I don't think you're supposed to do that until the wound has closed up. The rehab facility my doctor wanted me to go to catered to local sports teams (Cardinals, D-Backs, Suns, Rattlers) and had a PT who was a former athlete who had written the doctor's rehab training protocols. Lots of state of the art equipment, supposedly a great place to work out. Unfortunately, my medical plan no longer covered treatments at that place, and I would have had to pay about $50 out of pocket per visit (which I couldn't afford). The place I got was a lot like you describe - dull, uninspiring, full of obese people who seemed to be milking their injury for as much time off work and massage as possible. The PT I was assigned was overworked and didn't keep very good records (when he found out at the end of the course of treatment I was keeping a log of my workouts, he was surprised and asked if he could have a copy for my file. My reaction was, "Aren't you keeping a record? The people around me seemed surprised that I was actually working up a sweat while rehabbing, and would tell me to take it easy and relax (I'm not kidding). My doctor didn't want to keep me in rehab longer than necessary, and signed off on beginning my own regimen pretty early. What I'd advise is continuing your rehab yourself as much as possible at home, and transition to a commercial gym as soon as the doctor gives you the okay. The gym by my house had all the equipment I needed (various leg press/leg slide machines, multi-hip machines, and Cybex-type stuff for upper body maintenance - as I said in the FAQ, you don't want to be using freeweights or lugging plates around for a Hammer machine at first). Good luck!
8/2/04 11:47 AM
LeoKirby

Edited: 02-Aug-04
I have about the same situation as TheStewedOwl. My insurance will pay very little of my rehab. I will pay part of it out of my pocket but after two weeks my PT is giving me a lot of stuff to do on my own. I have a copy of the excersize protocol that my surgeon gave the PT and I make sure that I am ahead of schedule. I do excersizes every day. Everything I have read tells me that as long as I do not reinjure the ACL, an agressive protocol works much better. My range of motion is getting pretty good. I was getting 130 degrees when the protocol called for 90. Off the crutches in 2 weeks and using the brace part time now. I still have some swelling and pain especially in the morning.
8/8/04 4:56 PM
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 08-Aug-04
FAQ updated 08/08/2004 to add some info on scar reduction, drop some expired links, and add direct links (will add some more later).
8/9/04 3:23 PM
LeoKirby

Edited: 09-Aug-04
Questions for anyone who has had ACL surgery: I had surgery 4 weeks ago today. Complete ACL tear and partial (very minor) meniscus. I had the cadevar graft. I am walking on the treadmill and stationary bike but not running. I am working on getting rid of the limp. The pain is constant still but dull and not something I have to medicate for. I get about 130 degrees range of motion and still have some swelling. Most of the pain is at night and my leg is very stiff especially in the morning. I understand that everyone is different but does this seem about normal for anyone who has had the surgery? Thanks in advance
8/9/04 3:50 PM
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 09-Aug-04
That doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me. I think I was at about the same level as you at 1 month out. Remember, you went through invasive surgery, it will take time to get working right again. The curve starts to get steeper later, improvements will come faster.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.