UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> The ACL Injury F.A.Q.

8/11/04 9:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Aug-04
jluice, the doctor wasn't happy with my mobility at one point either. Doesn't sound like your doc has the best bedside manner, but in my experience that is common with surgeons. Definitely discuss it with your doctor, but remember there are peaks and valleys in recovery. There will be times when you are not progressing as fast as you like. There will be times when you take a big leap ahead. Hang in there. Read some of the ACL patients' post surgery diaries on Janet Bray's website, you'll find some similar problems. Don't dispair, it will get better and you will start BJJ again.
8/13/04 11:02 AM
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Aug-04
Well, that's good. It doesn't sound like you're very happy with your therapist, from everything you posted above.
8/22/04 1:38 AM
Chang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Aug-04
good information, thanks man
8/26/04 7:19 PM
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 26-Aug-04
Hang in there, jluce. My PT just used his hand and some oil to move the scar tissue around, he didn't use a tool. If you can get into the gym, start working your upper body like a maniac. It helped me out mentally as much as physically during the stage you're in, I've always been a pretty active person and not to be able to do BJJ, mountain bike, hike, run, etc. drove me freaking crazy. Like I said in the f.a.q., if you have access to a commercial gym, you should probably use weight machines with weight-stacks instead of free weights - even hobbling around with a light dumbbell could be dangerous, much less a 45 pound plate. Nino Schembri gained something like 20 pounds working his upper body when he tore his ACL. This is also the time to start working on your game plan, thinking about strategy, doing mental rehearsal, studying tournament videos with an eye towards refining your game (www.onthemat.com and www.marclaimon.com both have a good selection of tourney DVDs/videos). Stay active in BJJ, don't give up. You'll come back. Take care!
8/30/04 9:10 AM
LeoKirby

Edited: 30-Aug-04
jluce, I agree with Stewed Owl. 7 weeks for me today. I am lifting 5 days a week now and feel better just being able to sweat. I also bought Gordo's tapes on half guard. I heard he developed the half guard game because of a knee injury. You can lay the injured leg on the floor and protect it while working a multitude of sweeps. What drives me now is planning to go back to jits in the best condition of my life. So I am lifting a lot, working cardio in with the bike, and planning strategy.
8/30/04 1:13 PM
RodneyPoldrack
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Aug-04

I've got ACL surgery scheduled for next Thursday.  Getting the hamstring graft replacement.  I'n the last 10 years I've never been out of martial arts for longer that a few weeks and in the last 6 years I've been doing BJJ about 3-5 days a week.  It's gonna be hard to be out for so long but I'm commited to rehabbing and getting back on the mat as soon as possible (without risking reinjury). 

9/7/04 9:33 AM
TheStewedOwl

Edited: 07-Sep-04 09:26 AM
Stephan Kesting, who runs www.grapplearts.com and has made some excellent, well-received DVDs such as "Introducing Yoga for the Martial Arts", "Omo Plata and the Dynamic Guard", "Dynamic Kneebars", and "Dynamic Guard Sweeps Vol. 1: The Butterfly and X Guard" click here for a description was kind enough to host this FAQ on his site: link. Also check out his grappling tips blog: link I'll post updates there as well as here. Thanks, Stephan!
9/7/04 9:44 AM
RodneyPoldrack
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Sep-04 09:44 AM

I'm going to keep an onging journal with photo's to show people the process of ACL surgery recovery.  My surgery is Thursday so I'll probably start it tomorrow.  I'll post it on this forum and the BJJ forum.  Let me know if anyone has any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Thanks,

Rodney

9/29/04 3:42 PM
Portuguese2002

Edited: 29-Sep-04
Thank you so much TheStewedOwl. As someone who just had reconstructive ACL surgery (PTG method) one month ago, these posts have given me hope and inspiration! Jeff "Portugues" Duarte Blue Belt Alliance Team Canada/SBGi Canada
9/29/04 4:02 PM
RodneyPoldrack

Edited: 29-Sep-04

Oops, I fogot to update this thread.  Here is a link to my blog on the BJJ forum if anyone is interested on what ACL surgery has been like for me. 

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=472718&FID=11

12/31/04 1:49 AM
DuaneMMAA

Edited: 31-Dec-04
ttt
3/23/06 12:14 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-06
TTT for AFTC
4/8/06 10:49 AM
beauregard

Edited: 08-Apr-06
TTT for Jonpall
3/29/07 1:05 PM
k0ntr0l

Edited: 29-Mar-07
Top!!! for some reading material for my surgery next week...
7/4/07 8:40 PM
Jove

Edited: 04-Jul-07
Tore my ACL and lateral meniscus in a grappling tournament june 9. It's encouraging to hear that most people do recover and get back to nearly normal function in time, with surgical repair and proper rehab. However, I have an additional problem that has not been discussed much- peroneal nerve damage. The nerve was stretched, perhaps severed, during the accident. Half my lower leg is numb, and the foot/toes won't move upwards at all. The Docs say to give it 3 -6 months to 'regenerate' on it's own, if it doesn't, then a nerve graft would be considered. Has anyone had experience with nerve damage concurrent with an ACL tear?
1/2/08 3:49 AM
rice-A-ronin

Edited: 02-Jan-08 05:41 PM
ttt
1/7/08 8:54 PM
mwa

Edited: 07-Jan-08
I know this thread is regarding acl surgery. I fractured my tibia, and completely tore my lcl. The surgeon repaired my tibia, but did nothing for my lcl. Has anybody had any other experiences like this, or is able to effectively train without their lcl?
1/9/08 3:05 AM
mwa

Edited: 09-Jan-08
ttt
2/5/08 4:19 AM
rabbivj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-08
man this is a great thread! a lot of the stuff in here is what i similarly do at home to recover...
2/6/08 11:24 AM
Hoffa

Edited: 06-Feb-08
Hey, Men's Health has an ACL tear preventative workout at menshealth.com/ACL. For some reason the site is blocked here at work.. can someone copy the workout to this thread? I'm curious to see what it says..
6/26/08 8:04 PM
Yama-Arashi

I'm scheduled to have an ACL revision surgery in a month using a contralateral patella tendon. Anyone have experience with this?

My first surgery was a PT allograft with minimal meniscal injury. It apparently had degenerated over the years due to stress from Muay Thai and Judo. The word is, the allografts tend to have a high failure rate in athletes.
8/7/08 9:58 PM
Grappula

ttt
12/1/08 10:34 PM
dcvillain
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/26/09 1:58 AM
4pdboxing
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had ACL surgery Jan. 13 and this shit is no fun.
2/2/09 1:24 AM
LeoGocking
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had my ACL reconstruction done Jan 9th I opted for the cadaveric graft..so far so good no complaints the pain is minimal and I was walking without crutches 5 days post op...PT is pretty good and I feel that if I keep this way by April I will be bale to go back to the mats...just cant wait...I really miss BJJ...

Leo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.