UnderGround Forums

Royce Gracie >> Royce tapped to judoka?

8/23/03 1:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lach
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Aug-03

i read that Royce was tapped by a british judoka named Neil Adams and then Royce participated in one of this guys seminars. is this true?
8/23/03 10:46 PM
Gamebred
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Aug-03
it is simply not true rob kahn
8/28/03 9:33 AM
wayofthedragon

Edited: 28-Aug-03
Neil Adams is the real deal. My friend is a Judo Instructor and he trains with Neil. He says that he has learnt alot from him. And I have learnt a lot from my friend, so I know he has skills
8/29/03 2:57 AM
Wasa-B
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-03
I think Royce has stated that he has not met or does not know who Neil Adams is/was. I doubt they rolled. Adams is a ground wizard though (without taking or being a bjj'er - is that possible????!!!!)
9/9/03 3:38 PM
BriefLives

Edited: 09-Sep-03
Rorion went to Neil Adams to learn how to apply better arm bars? Yeah, I can see that happening.
9/10/03 8:33 AM
chasJP

Edited: 10-Sep-03
karazy, you are a moron. how do you know it is a fact that Neil caught Royce in an armbar? because you read it in the world of judo?? Royce does'nt even know who Neil Adams is! Neil's specialty, always has been getting an armbar from a turtled opponent. Royce would never give him his back. btw, Neil's book on armlocks is good at just that, the armbar against a turtled opponent. His armlocks from the guard are total rubbish.
9/10/03 8:50 AM
BriefLives

Edited: 10-Sep-03
"Rorion and Royce Gracie went to Neil Adams to learn better ways to apply arm bars." Nobody sees anything wrong with this statement?
9/11/03 12:19 AM
queueball

Edited: 11-Sep-03
ttt
9/11/03 7:44 AM
BriefLives

"Rorion and Royce Gracie went to Neil Adams to learn better ways to apply arm bars." Seriously, this very badly hurts the reliablility of the story. Anyone who knows anything about Rorion knows this would never happen. He's very proud of being a Gracie and very proud of Helio, who he learned from.
9/11/03 11:46 AM
yoshi4life

"Rorion and Royce Gracie went to Neil Adams to learn better ways to apply arm bars." Mark Tripp wrote this and I don't think he is a liar.
9/11/03 11:47 AM
yoshi4life

ttt for Royce Gracie's confirmation.
9/14/03 1:10 AM
yoshi4life

Edited: 14-Sep-03
ttt
9/14/03 1:36 AM
LittleC
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ Mark Tripp not being a liar... Royce has said a couple of times that hes never met Neil, nor trained with him. This whole BS story started when one of the Machados (maybe Rigan) went to one of Neils Seminars. A week later all the Machados were there. Then a month passes and Royce was there WITH the Machados. Then a week later Royce rolled with Neil and got armlocked. Another week passes and Rorion was at the seminar too, and has Royce getting armlocked on tape, but wont release it to the public. I give it another month before Neil chokes Royce out in his own kitchen.
9/14/03 11:14 AM
LittleC
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, what he actually said was that he didnt know him, and never trained with him. TTT for Judokas grabbing at straws...
9/14/03 12:05 PM
tapsalot

There are many inconsistencies between that article and the story that Royce was tapped by Adams. It seems to me that Neil would have said he tapped Gracie if he did, because the statement about educating the Gracies on their misguided concepts sounded a little arrogant imo. I believe the Gracies went to his seminar to see what different ideas he may have, but they probably never rolled, this article was done in 2000, if they rolled at a seminar in San Fran and he actually tapped Royce, everybody would know about it the next day.
9/15/03 1:49 AM
SuperConan

Edited: 15-Sep-03
at a judo seminar or a judo training camp, who throw who or who tapped who doesnt matter, because it is all training.
9/15/03 7:38 PM
LittleC

Edited: 15-Sep-03
Purple One is ate up with the correctness.
9/17/03 10:14 PM
Samsun

Edited: 17-Sep-03
TTT
9/18/03 4:33 AM
BriefLives

Edited: 18-Sep-03
"Rorion and Royce Gracie went to Neil Adams to learn better ways to apply arm bars." "Mark Tripp wrote this and I don't think he is a liar." Must just be stupid then. It would never happen.
9/18/03 5:32 AM
yoshi4life

Edited: 18-Sep-03
TTT for BJJ nuthuggers!
9/20/03 2:11 AM
SuperConan

Edited: 20-Sep-03
of course neil is going to think what the gracies do i a little different. he does judo they do bjj. different sports
11/4/03 6:50 PM
judojoes

Edited: 04-Nov-03
Why would it never happen that a Gracie would look to someone to help improve. I don't believe that the Gracies think that they can not learn from anyone else. I met Relson and Royce at Relsons nationals and the Arnold and after winning both tourneys they were very friendly. They even sat on the mat while I was competing and watched even though I wasn't fighting their students at the time. They asked me were I train and were surprised to here that I never did BJJ in my life. I train at the CHU TO BU judo club in Cleveland Oh. Neil Adams is one of the premier groundfighters of all time period. Get some of his traing material the guy is flat out awesome. Joe
11/4/03 10:35 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 04-Nov-03
About Neil Adams's supposed comment that the Gracies are "misguided". I'm going out on a limb here trying to interpret what the guy meant but here are some facts: 1) Neil Adams was reknowned for being quite a technician on the ground when he was actively competing - during his heydey, many Judo matches went to the ground and often stayed there. 2) Neil Adams is opposed to the study of Judo for self-defense as he feels that this ultimately cheapens it. I had a feeling that Mr. Adams might have been referring to the Gracies teaching BJJ as self-defense.
11/11/03 1:28 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 11-Nov-03
Neil Adams has gone on record on at least one occasion as saying that he does not agree with learning Judo for self-defense - he feels it cheapens it. He sees Judo as having a "higher purpose". On Bill Lewis's site, they review at least one of Neil Adams's Judo books and the reviewer noted that the book includes a "Judo for self-defense" section but he says you can just feel that Adams's heart wasn't in it and he probably had to be dragged kicking and screaming to even include it. If Adams views BJJ as being very similar to Judo, he'd probably feel the same way about BJJ being taught purely for self-defense - that it would cheapen it and it should be taught from a viewpoint of sport leading to the betterment of the human being.
12/1/03 9:14 PM
mrmeoggi

Edited: 01-Dec-03
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.