UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Separate women's classes?

5/10/02 9:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lofland
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-May-02 11:48 AM

What do you think of separating the women? I guess if some women who are new to self-defense are scared of taking a class with men, then a separate class is better than nothing. It's also important that the men in a mixed class remember to take it easy on the women in practicing/sparring. But overall, it seems like a mixed class would allow more practical self-defense training. What has been your experience on this issue? I thought of asking you this after reading a thread on www.selfdefenseforums.com. It was about the Oklahoma State University self-defense classes. The previous instructor taught practical classes which involved sparring with FIST suits. I wish this guy had known about your system, so he could have gotten PDR credentials. The university administration dumped his classes in favor of IMPACT classes which separated the sexes. The IMPACT people criticized his classes because the attackers didn't act "injured" every time someone did a strike. This thread is **incredibly** long, but if anyone has some free time to waste, here's the address: http://www.selfdefenseforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=544
5/12/02 1:28 AM
DrgnLord
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-02
*my 2 cents* If women only interact with other women in self defense courses, they are never going to learn the realities of defending against a man. And a man is the most likely attacker in the real world.
5/12/02 8:14 AM
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Hi, just a quick answer as Im on the road gettign ready for more travel.... Self-denfese teaching is different than self- defnese training... :-) (I should leave it at that - more of a riddle than an answer...) All classes must consder the theme and the audience togehter and base participation on the desried effect bearing in mind relaistic ability and 'absorbtion'...in otherowrds if a class has some rape victims in it, then introdcucing men (who are not professional trainers) could easily have an adverse effect. There is a time for the co-ed and a time for the segregated. Tony

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.