UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> It's Not a Chest Game!!!

5/10/02 11:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-May-02 03:42 PM

I just received my copy of Arthrokinectics: Somatic Engineering of Combat. I sort of went backwards, for initially I ordered and thoroughly enjoyed UPPER LIMB ARCHITECTURE. I thought, “hey, my core is wrestling. I already know how to control my opponents. I’ll just skip that section and move on to the goods.” It says a great deal about an instructor when his material commands you to take a step backwards. It was his brief comments about controlling your opponent’s breathing in the UPPER LIMB series, which reminded me of Tony C. again, that invoked a greater degree of curiosity. I beg anyone with any interest in Catchwrestling to further his or her education and understanding and invest in this material. I was very thrilled my comments on the other series inspired many to look into Arthrokinectics. In a thread I posted in the JKD forum, I suggested to people who are truly interested in making their martial art a combat art to work on quick submission after a throw or fall. You won’t have the opportunity or time to “Flow with the go” and play the “chess/chest game” many grappling stylist plays when they grapple. Meaning, the offensive to defense to offense to defense paradigm. Mr. Sonnon explains how to maintain control in this type of situation, ending the “game” of submission grappling and initiating an all out assault…with control. It begins with controlling the BREATHING. My wrestling background conditioned me to focus on “chest on chest” for control. Scott points out that the control should be on the diaphragm…using any part of your body. By doing that, you control your opponent’s INTENT or psychology, which inhibits his OPPORTUNITIES or structural alignment (which is the launching pad for any actions), moreover this controls his ABILITY to move offensively or defensively. Scott also presents the anatomical foundation of this SUBMISSION SCIENCE. He simply tells why you do what you do and shows how an education of the anatomical structure makes “creating your own submissions” natural, effortless and logical. The way I described this concept to my JKD partners was in the JKD terms of “beats”. So many grapplers miss beats in-between submission attempts, simply because they have an archaic understanding of the human structure. I must also mention that as a schoolteacher myself, I immensely appreciated Scott’s delivery of his material. Forgive me for my raw description, but as I said before, it’s not an easy concept to describe. Just see for yourself.
5/11/02 1:11 PM
paradigmer
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-May-02 01:14 PM
Great review thanks! I thought you initally made a typo--I thought you meant "chess game". I know what you mean though...control serves a purpose, but too often I see people laying their big, fat ass on someone and not really launching an offensive.
5/11/02 3:41 PM
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-May-02
I was hoping someone would "get it". It's only logical when you realize the make-up of the Respiratory System, but I guess I've been illogical for a long time.
5/11/02 4:49 PM
Neckcranku
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I have to save my pennies, thanks for the further review!
5/11/02 10:31 PM
tysaw
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nowaydo, good review. I have had similiar experiences wahtching the AK series. I have gone over it 3-4 times and EACH time I pick up more material that makes me go "ahhhaa!". It is an encylopedia that anyone can use as a resource guide to extract more and more details on subs, control, etc. Bruce

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.