UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> decision

11/6/03 11:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
killainstink
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Nov-03

I've beem practicing martial arts for about 15 yrs and have finally realized the truth about self defence through watching Tony's videos. I've been in denile for a long time. My dilema is what to do with that knowledge. Do I continue training in the MMA style schools or do I start fresh with some RBSD system? Any insight from the PDR instructors here would be great. Also do any of you know any schools in Toronto that focus solely on RBSD. I think I wasted enough time learning katas and kicking heavy bags.
11/6/03 11:49 AM
AdamLaClair

ImposeYourWill.com
Training MMA is a great way to stay in shape, have fun, and it DOES develop a lot of "tools" for your physical arsenal. If it is something you do for fitness and/or enjoyment, there is no reason to discontinue it. If you are ONLY doing it for self-defense purposes, then you may want to do some soul searching. In the mean time, contact the main office to see who there is for PDR coaches in Toronto. Also find yourself a training partner if you can to do drills with. Get to a Blauer sponsored seminar, and learn from the source! Practice, practice, practice, and keep it "real" in that it's more about the emotional content in most drills, than it is about who gets to "win." Adam
11/6/03 5:17 PM
killainstink

Edited: 06-Nov-03 05:11 PM
I think what has enlightened me the most is the information I have gotten from the videos and other info from www.tonyblauer.com. I was always doing martial arts with self defence as my main focus. Its why I have studied several different styles. I was always searching for something that was more realistic and intense. I never really felt confortable about using the skills I had acquired to defend myself. Has anyone else felt this way? Tony said it best in one of his videos or something when he said he didn't understand why people pratice martial arts for fitness, discipline or spirituality. I don't want to quit martial arts all together. I am just fed up learning the same useless dribble that will never work in the street.
11/6/03 9:55 PM
marc@tb

Adam suggested getting to a Blauer sponsored seminar, well we are holding a PDR session in Montreal on April 9-11, 2004. You can't get much closer than that. Tony will be teaching all weekend. Who better to learn from than "The Man" himself. I'll ask Tony if we have anyone in the TO area. If you would like to come or want more info, call me at the office. 514.482.1643 Marc
11/6/03 9:56 PM
taroson

Killainstink, I can appreciate your feelings on this issue. I have been involved in a Martial art or combative sport since I was a youngster. That is more than double the 15 years you mentioned that you have studied one art or another. I am happy for you and for me, we discovered Tony Blauer. The system is a totally unique blend of the physical, emotional and psychological. There are some good systems out there to be sure, but Mr. Blauer has left nothing to chance. Every part of the system connects with the truth. Physical, behavioral, even philosophical truths. I think you need to focus on what you want to train for. This way you can spend your precious training time getting better at what you want to accomplish. Keep reading and watching tapes, drilling with training partners and stay focused on your goal. Remember GAR, Goal Action, Result. The PDR Manual is literally a recipe book of drills, concepts, exercises and ideas for learning how to prevail in a street confrontation. It really is a mondern day Book of Five Rings. There is great value in all the arts. It depends on what you want and what you need. The 10th Commandment in the PDR manual is: Thou Shalt Not Rebuke Other Systems. Everything we learn in the PDR process makes the good stuff we already knew better. Tony says on his S.P.E.A.R. Fundamental tape that "Good information does not displace good information. Good information only displaces crap." So much of what you know will better because you now have a street filter. Flush the crap and be liberated. Focus now on where you want to go. Good Luck on your journey. Hopefully we will meet and train at a PDR one day. Take Care, Mike Suyematsu/PDR Pro
11/6/03 10:03 PM
taroson

Wow Marc, we must have posted at the same time. You are absoultely correct in stating there is no better way to learn than from Tony,in person. Nothing else even comes close. Hopefully you can make it to a session killainstink. Take Care All, Mike
11/6/03 10:08 PM
marc@tb

Hey Mike Are you coming down for either the BMF in March or the PDR in April? It would be great to see you again and maybe get to chat a bit more this time. Take care Marc
11/7/03 9:36 AM
taroson

Edited: 07-Nov-03
Hello Marc! I hope to make the March session. The biggest road block for me always is scheduling around work. It would be great to see you and have those discussions. Hopefully I'll see you then. Take Care, Mike
11/7/03 2:26 PM
JMullings

Edited: 07-Nov-03 02:32 PM
Since you asked for advice and insight, here is my two cents. Go slow, and dont throw anything out. There is no need to. Everything will sort itself out as you get into the PDR material and really start to understand the essence of it. Not knowing your MMA experience or "delivery system", as Adam points out will have value. Perhaps you can think of the PDR program and curriculum as a top level blueprint to determine your studies and the micro curriculums in the future. Its been my experience that some people jump too hard at the material and become binary on their decision making throwing out material they have been studying for years. It doesnt necessarily make what you had studied for years less valuable, the PDR program will more likely provide you with a filter that allows you to evaluate the value proposition of the material you now will tag as real self defense material or something else. There is no rush with PDR, as Coach request, weigh and consider. What PDR will more likely give you is a nice explanation of how to catalog your previuosly gained skills. Here is something else that I know happened, and continues to happen to me. What I thought was most important as a PDR student last year, is different than what I think now. It will become the box within the box for you once you dig in. Have fun Joe Mullings joe@amma.tv
11/7/03 8:22 PM
killainstink

Edited: 07-Nov-03
I really appreciate the comments posted here. Thanks to everyone. I think the instruction that I am currently getting may be the problem and not studying martial arts in general. I will definitely take the advice that was given here. Thanks alot.
12/10/03 8:02 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 10-Dec-03
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
A little late in the thread, but Ive been busy :-) From Viewtypes post: "Tony said it best in one of his videos or something when he said he didn't understand why people pratice martial arts for fitness, discipline or spirituality." He really said that? ==== Yes, but thats out of context...its missing key elements. I said if youre ONLY studying for those reasons I didnt understand it (rhetorical). In other words, if a student wouldnt admit to a fear of violence or a fascination with things martial I didnt accept them in my school...if their sole purpose was spirtuality I asked them why not meditate or study religion, if it was fitness why not go to an aerobics class or ride a bike (and so on) ...why particpate in somethng that was violent, addressed violence and presented physical risk in the practice if their was not some martial POV?? Make sense? Tony
12/11/03 11:26 PM
AdamLaClair

Edited: 11-Dec-03
ImposeYourWill.com
Nice clarification, Tony. I figured there was a bit more to it than the short quote. :-) Adam

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.