UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rarest taped event?MMA Holy Grail?

11/6/03 4:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
e. kaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Nov-03
The IFC was terrible at giving tape out even to the fighters. My friend was their lightweight champion and won a very controversial fight. We have always wanted to see a tape of it, but they would never send it to him.
11/6/03 4:39 PM
Orion

MARS Shooting Stars tourney was a 16 man tourney. I was there. It was in B'ham , AL. Took place in the afternoon before the event started that evening. I have all the Lumax Cup tourneys. The thing in Atlanta with Horn, Frye, etc. was the trials for MARS done by Keating. I have been told that he has sold the rights to all those tapes and they "may" be officially released soon. The rarest event for Miller is Obake's New Year's Eve Knockout show that was in Atlanta in '99. It had Horn vs. Nick Starks, Travis Fulton vs. George Allen, etc. I know he's been looking for that one for a while. I also have Doug Dedge's first fight on tape in Griffin, GA from '98. Peace- Cam
11/6/03 4:40 PM
DUNK1
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for input from TapeLord, the Lord of Tapes. Only he knows the true Holy Grail. ;-) DUNK1
11/6/03 4:42 PM
FiatLux

I was talking with Tim Catalfo a few years back and he mentioned having a production version of his fight with Hoffman. It had a split screen with 4 different camera angles.
11/6/03 9:11 PM
JKING
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

?
11/6/03 9:58 PM
boilerbrawn
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a copy of Eugene Jackson v "The Freak" Frykland
11/6/03 10:00 PM
ccp

Um, where can I get those at?
11/6/03 10:22 PM
DUNK1
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT - The search for the grail must contine... DUNK1
11/6/03 10:24 PM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, this thread rocks. We're now in my favorite subject area! Some rare tapes I have are: -The Ryan Gracie backyard fight where he bites the dudes ear. -The Royler Gracie/Tadeu fight -The clash of the dragons 2(with Frank shammy and oleg and frey and such) BTW: I was talking with frank a few years ago and he gave me his personal number to get him a copy of this event. HE didn't know it existed. He offered me some cool stuff for it. Then I lost his number. :( -S-cup (Kimo/Sak) -Kings of the squared circle (has the ali/Inoki fight) -The non-aired fights of UFC 2. ***************** (hadn't heard that one mentioned yet) -Kimo/Pat smith (NHB from K-1 event in a cage) -Matt and Nick serras first few fights in shootfighting events in the new york areas. -U-japan (with kimo/Bam bam) -A bunch of early torrence challenge matches (not an event obviously) -NOT NHB, but the rickson/rigan fights (2) One of the qualities is horrible though. Some of the other events you guys talked about are not that rare (as some of the above are not) and I have them as well. But I have waaaaaaaayyy too many tapes. -Some events that took place that I'd LOVE to find sometime. - the Oleg event in Kavakstan that was mentioned with the kneebars. - The Two Karo/Sherk fights (I was at them both, and have seen them on video with Manvel and Karo in the hotel room afterwards) - The Manvel/Sherk fight (the overtime split decision...same as above..was there) - The 4 man tourny that Gokors boy Harut won out in Cali where he beat two guys with triangles..Some Pancration title I believe... -Again, another event I was at was where Harut tapped Travis Fulton with an achilles lock rather easily. I'd like that tape. -The event where Sakaraba fought right before the UFC..Tank's boys I think. Just some more stuff to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11/6/03 10:24 PM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, this thread rocks. We're now in my favorite subject area! Some rare tapes I have are: -The Ryan Gracie backyard fight where he bites the dudes ear. -The Royler Gracie/Tadeu fight -The clash of the dragons 2(with Frank shammy and oleg and frey and such) BTW: I was talking with frank a few years ago and he gave me his personal number to get him a copy of this event. HE didn't know it existed. He offered me some cool stuff for it. Then I lost his number. :( -S-cup (Kimo/Sak) -Kings of the squared circle (has the ali/Inoki fight) -The non-aired fights of UFC 2. ***************** (hadn't heard that one mentioned yet) -Kimo/Pat smith (NHB from K-1 event in a cage) -Matt and Nick serras first few fights in shootfighting events in the new york areas. -U-japan (with kimo/Bam bam) -A bunch of early torrence challenge matches (not an event obviously) -NOT NHB, but the rickson/rigan fights (2) One of the qualities is horrible though. Some of the other events you guys talked about are not that rare (as some of the above are not) and I have them as well. But I have waaaaaaaayyy too many tapes. -Some events that took place that I'd LOVE to find sometime. - the Oleg event in Kavakstan that was mentioned with the kneebars. - The Two Karo/Sherk fights (I was at them both, and have seen them on video with Manvel and Karo in the hotel room afterwards) - The Manvel/Sherk fight (the overtime split decision...same as above..was there) - The 4 man tourny that Gokors boy Harut won out in Cali where he beat two guys with triangles..Some Pancration title I believe... -Again, another event I was at was where Harut tapped Travis Fulton with an achilles lock rather easily. I'd like that tape. -The event where Sakaraba fought right before the UFC..Tank's boys I think. Just some more stuff to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11/6/03 11:49 PM
estarriol

You know, it occurs to me that a lot of these are *tapes* and it would be a good idea (for future historical interest) to archive as many of them as possible in a digital format before they degrade too much. I have some experience with this and would certainly be glad to help if anyone is interested. It would be nice if some of these were more readily available too... especially from those organisations that no longer exist, and are never likely to publish them. Thinking further along those lines, might there be a market for a collection of such material sold on DVD for hardcore MMA fans? Royalties could be distributed amongst copyright holders etc.?
11/6/03 11:50 PM
jbapk

"Or the WWF brawl for all" Wasn't that more of a long run tournament thing?
11/6/03 11:50 PM
mo be

I'd love to see the fights that were not shown from ufc 1 and 2.
11/7/03 12:19 AM
pitbull395

Edited: 07-Nov-03
Without a doubt in my mind, the Shogun event is the most sought after tape in MMA, but from what I have heard is that it doesn't exist. There were so many great fights and so many great fighters that it should be for sale at any tape store but I can't even find anyone with a personal video of the event.
11/7/03 1:32 AM
nhbbook

My rarest tape is the World Kung Fu Championships from 1975. It was held in Hong Kong and featured fighters from all stand-up styles competing in a somewhat open forum. No groundwork, but it was full contact and it was interesting to see all traditional styles going at it. Ron Van Clief was actually in it and he knocked out one opponent before getting KOd himself. What's even better is the hilarious British commentary.
11/7/03 2:45 AM
Zero1
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does Rickson doesn´t show his Anjo Fight. He won it so what´s the deal with it?
11/7/03 2:55 AM
QTyp
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There were fights not shown from ufc 1?
11/7/03 3:25 AM
Basheer

I think the story/legend with the Anjo tape being under wraps is that Rickson was especially brutal in that fight because Anjo came to his school in a disrespectful way with a camera crew to tape the challenge. Rickson accepted the fight but didn't let the crew that Anjo brought film it so he really layed into him so that there would be no question who won. That's how the story goes anyway.
11/7/03 5:26 AM
fightforpride

At the risk of being banned or having a post deleted, there is alot of truth to estarriol's post concerning archiving rare tapes and digitizing them for historical purposes.. This is infact a very important thing to do. Many of the BJJ events and so many other fights from even in the late 80's and early 90's are in horrible condition like the lightning bolt BJJ tourneys with Rickson in his prime. I am glad this post has been kept alive as long as it has. It would be nice if there was a forum or site where members such as are on this forum could be able to collectively collaborate and share their rare tapes together..( without the inconvenience of sneaking around or getting banned) ... I understand this forums attempts to eliminate trading of current UFC's and Prides and such so those who create new events are properly compensated and the sport can grow. I agree with this.. However the antiquated stuff like lightning bolt .. seriously who would object to the acquisition and preservation of high quality films such as that? I think preserving these old films does a great service to the sport. Additionally, those with the means (provided they could acquire a grand collection of these rare films from people such as are on this list) would be able to create a tape similar to gracie in action where a compilation of rare stuff can be legally organized and shown, and distributed. Unfortunately, dealing with tape traders and such is the only means to obtaining the films to create such documentaries. It would be nice to utilize tape traders in a way to benefit the sport.. Any thoughts to this end.. hopefully this idea and post remains alive... late..
11/7/03 6:13 AM
fightforpride

As far as legalities, what would be cool is if one of the list mods here (frankiscool is a mod no?) or some of the others would be able to better explain the undergrounds legal stance and view and their reasons for their position concerning "controlled" tape "gathering" of the kind being discussed here... See one of the major problems of doing this legally, is that a complete acquisition of rare tapes needs to be done on a vast scale. [ie.. someone may have a crappy copy of lightning bolt... how do you find a high quality tape (to digitize) other than polling the forum as a united resource] The support of a major forum like underground or another is needed to pool the resources of a (gulp..gulp) questionable audience.. See the problem here? To get these rare tapes, guys like "tapelord" (just pulled that out of a hat) more than likely have something that is valuable and worth being archived. Yet to find these guys like tapelord, adressing a forum like this is necessary... and at this time we are not allowed to use the underground as a resource. If any of the UG staff has some insight on this matter, it'd be of interest... Thanks..
11/7/03 6:53 AM
PaganiZonda

Hey Ryan G, I have the two fights of Oleg in Kazakhstan. Some people say those fights were works. It's hard to tell from the footage. So who were the Kazakh fighters they introduced at UFC 14?
11/7/03 6:55 AM
mennis65
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In 1996-1997, there were a series of MMA shows called "Fearless Fighting Challenge" that was put together by a guy named Magic Dane (who has been referred to as a thief by several people). They were held in Woodbridge, VA. At one of the shows, a fighter from the Lions Den knocked out a European fighter and since the ref did nothing but stand there, the Lion's Den fighter hit this guy a couple of more times and then a riot nearly broke out. I was in the balcony during this commotion and I remember seeing a clip from it on the forum many years ago. I don't remember the names of the people involved since it was a while ago. In the last show I went to, Paul Varleans actually showed up and fought. I believe Leo Dalla fought in one of the first ones. The event was a series of tournaments with the winners of these tournaments supposedly fighting in Washington, DC on Pay-Per-View. Needless to say, this never happened. I believe the very last tournament was cancelled because the building next door had caught fire and damage had been done to the center. Does anyone else remember these shows?
11/7/03 8:30 AM
graciesrule

In 1996 a company out of Atlanta produced some videos on spetznaz combat sambo and some pitfighting fights. Ive got the sambo tapes, but has anyone seen the Pitfight tapes?
11/7/03 8:40 AM
mo be

This is by far the most interesting thread in a long time.
11/7/03 8:46 AM
Kirik
1664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC
Please do not leave any email adresses or the url of any page that sells bootlegs in this thread. When I first started trying to limit bootlegging, I did it incrementally. For example, for a while I allowed people to trade or sell original tapes. But then some would offer put put parenthes around the work original, or a :-) I don't know of any way to block the kids selling Sperry I for 25 bucks without also blocking all discussion of it. I tried everything I could think of.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.