UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rarest taped event?MMA Holy Grail?

11/11/03 4:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DUNK1
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Nov-03
TTT
11/11/03 5:01 PM
Big Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the kuwait event but the quality was not so good.
11/11/03 5:33 PM
Kneeblock
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gracie family Challenges when they crown the family champion. According to old UFC lore, they used to do this closed door and would tape some of it to see who was king of the mountain. THE GRACIE WAY seems to imply that this is not the case, but in the early UFCs, this was discussed by one of the announcers. -knee
11/11/03 11:22 PM
McLeod
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Miller, sounds like you actually have more than me. I have just over 1000 tapes. Dunk1: I'd have to watch it again, but yes it looked legit. I only watched the Frank fight alot because there was some bad blood there. It was an event where you could grab the roped for an ascape, so Frank actually got him twice. I only have camcorder footage of the 1999 Abu Dhabi as well. can't wait for the real thing. The Rickson fighting 26 guys at a seminar, or the Rickson rolling with Pedro Sauer, or Rickson/Royler before Japan, or Rickson's other documentary (not choke..much better than choke actually..I love it when he goes over his fight with Funaki in detail while watching the fight), or Rickson in the sambo tourny, or rickosn and rockson rolling with Helio, or rickson vs Rigan 1 and 2, all of the above are NOT that difficult to find. So DEF not the grail. And stop mentioning tapes that are easy like the Carlao/Randleman or Erickson/Randleman events. :)
11/11/03 11:30 PM
JKING
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
11/11/03 11:54 PM
Unknown

This thread is the shit!!
11/12/03 12:01 AM
WRSTLR25

Edited: 12-Nov-03
Hughes/Pele
11/12/03 12:12 AM
Fazzle
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know if this is rare or not but wasnt there a tape of Tanks crew and Vitors crew going at it after one of the early ufc.
11/12/03 12:51 AM
Beezulbubba
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, and it was releasd commercially on an old Hook-N-Shoot tape.
11/12/03 4:53 AM
johnnypayne
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the rarist tape I have is the "fight" between Ken and Tiger as a WWF RAW exibition of NHB, For the life of me I can't tell if it was a shoot or if Ken just got carried away.
11/12/03 10:07 AM
Miller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I think Fujita fought somewhere in Texas, forgot the event. " He fought in a 4 man tournament in Texas.One of his opponents was Dan Chase who also lost to Barnone and Fulton.Shannon Ritch was the co-promoter of this event but his partner screwed him over and Shannon can't get the rights to teh video and the other guy won't release.BTW,getting Fujita these fights is what eventually got Shannon in Pride against Sakuraba "I've been looking for the old Super Brawls. I know the super brawls that were realeased (1-4) were actually like the 9th or 10th event they had. The announcers talk about it a little. They talk about Jay R. Palmer fighting 400lb Donald "Yobo" De La Cruz. They annoucer his record and he had a lot of previous fights and never had lost until Danny "Boy" Bennett. I guess some other fighters from the island fought as well. Carl Franks?? " What ytou are talking about is the Futurebrawl events,not Superbrawl.I believe that there were 6 Futurebrawl events if I'm not mistaken FUTUREBRAWL 1 Marcel Johnson/Jerry Kristen+Chris Wallace/Jason Long David Pa’aluhi/Wayne Fisher+Marcel Wallace FUTUREBRAWL 2 Marcel Johnson/Juan Navaro+David Pa’aluhi/Llewelyn Po’omaihealani Maiao/Galen Kanao+Michael Steele/Chris Bell FUTUREBRAWL3 Jay R Palmer/Joe Pahamainaolani+Robert Kaialau/Dwayne Wright-Jesse Uluapu/Johnny Padlee+Dwayne Royce/Kenny Rhodes FUTUREBRAWL4 Llewelyn Poomaihealani/Shawn Morris+Dave Drebs/Joseph Carerro-Jay R Palmer/Junior Edwards+Leonard Basso Jr/Robert Kaialau FUTUREBRAWL 6 Wayne Fisher/Kaola Kang+Brian Madapua/Maverick-Jay R Palmer/Duke+Jessie/Donald De La Cruz
11/12/03 10:13 AM
Miller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Hughes/Pele"- I had the kuwait event but the quality was not so good. " That was already coverred if you read the thread
11/12/03 10:38 AM
DUNK1
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mcleod, Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought I read the Clash of the Dragons PPV had worked matches (perhaps the first event?). I am not a crackpot like the other guys on this forum calling every fight a work, just interested in legit events only. DUNK1
11/12/03 11:18 AM
Unknown

TTT
11/12/03 11:54 AM
Hugz

You dont need Rorions permission to see Helio vs Kimura unedited its out there.....
11/12/03 12:25 PM
mayiwhoopu

This latest Pride has to be considered the Holy Grail of MMA IMHO!!
11/12/03 12:52 PM
Slapsymaxi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone mention the Mexican giant yet? :) Some of these fights are in freaky places. I found the first AFC(That's wha tthe big russian one was called, right?) on 2 tapes in a video store, listed as "No Rule Fighting 1 & 2" Max
11/12/03 12:57 PM
Daimon Hellstrom

“There was an event years ago. It was in Hawaii and had Fred Floyd, Kimo and John Lewis.I think it was called Ultimate Pankration or something. And I'm not talking about the event where Kimo fought Brian Johnston.“ That was United Full Contact Federation 1. The complete event is extremely rare to have. There are some people who have John Lewis vs Thomas Puckett & Todd Bjornethun vs Orlando Weit, but the other fights are very hard to come by.....I know Kimo Leopoldo had his own website a few years ago (kimomania.com I think?) and was selling copies of his fight with Fred Floyd, but I don’t know if anyone bought the tape as I believe it was just one fight he was selling. That’s the reason I didn’t get it. Kimo-Brian Johnston is actually pretty hard to get, too. Who knows if it’s on tape anywhere. There was camcorder footage of the actual event floating around, but it cuts off right before the main event (Kimo-Johnston). “I would say Rickson vs Zulu 1.” I’d agree on that one. Hell, footage of any of the old vale tudo events in Brazil is extremely rare. It would be cool if the Brazilian television stations which aired them originally would release the footage on tape or DVD. “There were also two UFC tapes released (non events) which were titled: ULTIMATE BEHIND THE SCENES 1 ULTIMATE BEHIND THE SCENES 2“ Those were just the FCF tapes formatted similarly to Jeff Osborne’s behind the scenes tapes…..FCF used to sell the two videos. Those are definitely not that rare. “sergio BUT he's the best promoter i nthe business now and a damned good ref” Sergio’s a sufficient ref, but he’s definitely not the best promoter in the business. I don’t know why anyone would think he is. He’s an alright promoter, mind you. “I remember seeing an 80's VHS tape at a store with Chuck Norris on the front of the box. It looked to be a full contact karate tournament of some sort, any ideas on that one?” That was probably some kickboxing compilation that was released back around that time. I remember Norris being on the cover, and in the video Chuck tries to promote kickboxing by naming good kickboxers and saying they’re exciting…..They didn’t show many complete fights in the tape, it was mainly highlights. “My most rarest tape is Vale Tudo Perception with ruas v. ????” Ruas never fought in Vale Tudo Perception. Vale Tudo Perception was a Shooto event which had Jean-Jacques Machado vs Yuki Nakai in a sport BJJ match. “Ultimate Pankration with Ruas x Lambert I doubt was even taped unless their waiting as well as Mega Superfight with Ken Shamrock vs. Sam Adkins” They were taped, just never released.
11/12/03 1:09 PM
Daimon Hellstrom

“Sakuraba's first mma debut was against Rene Rooze in a legit match from a UWFi Sacramble Wars '96 event before he entered UFC Japan. This fight is cool, b/c Saku submits the big man with a toe hold. Awesome and rare too.” Are you sure it was a legit match? Regardless, it was probably under the same rules as other UWF mixed rules matches. Grappling-only while on the ground, and I believe rope escapes were allowed but I'm not sure.......Changpuek Kiatsongrit fought under those same rules in a legit match in UWF against Yoji Anjoh. Maurice Smith fought Minoru Suzuki under the same rules, as did Matthew Saad Muhammad when he fought Kiyoshi Tamura, Trevor Berbick when he fought Nobuhiko Takada, etc.... “That Riley show in Okinawa was called Kakadamishi - it featured pro wrstling and kickboxing, and Riley was the only MMA fight.” There were two MMA matches on the card. “I think the rarist tape I have is the "fight" between Ken and Tiger as a WWF RAW exibition of NHB, For the life of me I can't tell if it was a shoot or if Ken just got carried away.” LOL, it wasn’t a shoot....And I believe that was shown on television, so it’s not rare at all seeing as how so many pro wrestling fans record every footage of that shit they can. Miller is correct on the Future Brawl events being the precursor to Super Brawl. Future Brawl 5 is probably a “holy grail” tape as no one seems to have it (Aside from T Jay, of course), but I don't know if people are clamoring to see it. The Tent Tumble events, Lumax Cup, UFCF 2, IVC Venezuela, Circuito De Lutas, early Shootos, first round of UFC 2, and a lot of the other stuff named can be found as Miller has pretty much said. Bohlander vs benedict was in UFCF 2.....There’s camcorder footage of the entire event. Footage of Kimura-Helio should be found fairly easily in Japan I would think. Like others mentioned, Clash of the Dragons was a legit event.....But, there was one work. Dan Severn’s match with “The Mountain”.....”The Mountain” was reportedly D-Lo Brown from the WWF....And just watch the fight if you have it on tape, there’s no way that match was legit. estarriol & fightforpride are correct. It would be fantastic to archive these events. Some very rare tapes not mentioned in this thread which were recorded, but never released by the promoters, are Australian Vale Tudo Open (Had Elvis Sinosic & Edwardo Duarte in separate tournaments) and IFC 3 (Had the Gassaway brothers and Mike Sciortino). There were also the Buddy Albin events after he got booted from the IFC. I think there were two events, and he had fighters like Anthony Macias and Gary Myers in them. I don't think footage of these events were recorded, though.
11/12/03 1:14 PM
Daimon Hellstrom

"Kimo mount puched BamBam into bloody mess. Bam Bam was a late replacement...it was supposed to be Vader, am I right? Miller? Anyone? " Vader was the original opponent for Kimo, but I don't think Bigelow was a late replacement. As far as I can remember he had at least a few weeks notice before the event took place. I highly doubt the outcome of the match would've been different if it was Vader (Leon White) instead of Bigelow. Vader has a big reputation in pro wrestling circles, but that reputation would have been exposed had he fought.
11/12/03 1:42 PM
JoeSonDoh

up
11/12/03 1:49 PM
DUNK1

Ahhhhhhhhh finally! Thanks Daimon, I was wondering when you would get on here and school us! ;-) Excellent info here that every MMA fan should read. TTT DUNK1
11/12/03 1:51 PM
DUNK1

Edited: 12-Nov-03 01:45 PM
Also, thanks for clarifing the info re: the Chuck Norris tape. I am mad I never picked that one up even though it sounds crappy. So Daimon you feel Rickson v. Zulu 1 is the holy grail? No comments on Rickson v. Anjoh ??? What about the 'DogLeg(s)' promotion? Any legit fights on these handicapped cards? DUNK1
11/12/03 2:00 PM
Daimon Hellstrom

I'm not sure on what the holy grail would be.....I mentioned Rickson-Zulu I, but it's not the most sought after tape in my opinion. I just find the old vale tudo fights from Brazil to be an intriguing thing to get if they're ever released. I doubt the majority of those fights would be overly exciting, though. I've seen a few rare Brazilian events and for some reason I was bored watching them. Rickson-Anjoh is interesting, but I'm sure there are many private matches people haven't seen of Rickson and other fighters......Also, Anjoh isn't exactly the best fighter around. If it was Rickson fighting someone who was actually real good, that would be another story. The only private match I've seen, that I enjoyed watching, was Royler Gracie vs Eugenio Tadeu.....I've never cared for any other private match out there, including Rickson vs Duarte. Don't know anything about the DogLegs promotion. My guess would be it's just pro wrestling....At least I would hope so. What's next, a down syndrome federation?
11/12/03 2:15 PM
DUNK1

Yeah, not sure why I am so hell bent on figuring out the DogLegs thing.... it is like this sick interest. I hate finding out about 'unknown' events, and then feeling stupid that you had no idea they existed. That is why I love readings threads like these. The knowledge dropped on this thread alone to me is better than a year's worth of 'opinions' and 'conspiracies' in other threads. Thanks again for the info. DUNK1

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.