UnderGround Forums

Chris Brennan >> Chris advice for first tourney?

11/7/03 11:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EmenGeeRoxx
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Nov-03

Chris, I am competing in my first tournament this weekend (gi and no gi). Just wondering what you eat/drink throughout the day to stay fuelled/hydrated without feeling bloated or having the shits. Also do you come out aggressive pushing the pace or do you just stay calm and relaxed. Thanks mang.
11/8/03 8:31 AM
K1RK

Edited: 08-Nov-03
Dude I sure ain't Chris but I competed for the first time a few weeks ago. Stay relaxed have a game plan and drink water or gatorade and I munched on Mesotech bars. Also watch the other matches in your class. You might pick something up from a guy that you'll be facing later like he prefers to do "whatever" move. Best of luck and have fun. Kirk
11/8/03 9:28 AM
WestsideStrangler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of water. Some pancakes in the morning for good carbs. Gatorade maybe diluted with some water all day, or a recovery drink. Don't be too aggressive because your nerves are already going to tire you out. Try and attack a lot but not crazy. Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't just go in blind and aggressive. Use your energy sparingly, meaning use it when you are attacking or defending in bursts. Let me know how it goes.
11/8/03 10:24 AM
EmenGeeRoxx

Thanks guys, it's tomorrow, I'll let u know how it goes.
11/8/03 11:00 PM
Erica Montoya

good luck
11/10/03 12:11 AM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 10-Nov-03
Thanks guys. Well I listened to what you said and relaxed and it worked. I won my first fight, but on my second fight I got sloppy with bad posture in my opponent's guard and got caught with an armbar right at the end of the round. I was up 8-0 too. Oh well. Fun experience and will definitely be back for more. Thank you again.
11/10/03 1:19 AM
WestsideStrangler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Nov-03
congrats bro.
12/22/03 12:10 AM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 22-Dec-03 12:22 AM
Chris, finally saw your Bushido fight. Way to finish the fight after they screwed up ! Congrats!
4/4/04 3:37 PM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 04-Apr-04
My bad Chris...but thanks again bro.
4/4/04 5:43 PM
WestsideStrangler

Edited: 04-Apr-04
Thank you sir
4/7/04 9:55 AM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 07-Apr-04
Chris, I was training GI with a big wrestler today and I had him in my closed guard. He trapped my right arm at the wrist/sleeve using his left hand and shoved it behind my back (hammerlock?). He passed my right arm to his right hand and tried cranking it. He gripped my sleeve for control and it was hard for me to free my hand/arm. I just remained flat on my back so he could not lift my arm up my back for the sub. It was a stalemate because I couldn't get out. Some of the higher belt guys showed me a way out by using my left hand to attack his neck using his collar: palm down, thumb in, fingers out and driving my forearm wrist into his neck while I lifted my elbow. At the same bring my knees in to bring him forward. The pressure on his neck forced him to posture up and let go of my arm. It worked well but I was wondering if there was any other way out/escape? As always thanks for your help. BTW what's your email address I'll send you our mug shot at the UFC beer line.
4/7/04 10:48 AM
WestsideStrangler

chris@chrisbrennan.com Can't help ya much with the gi but without it Sean Sherk did this to me in our sub match and I use the opposite are and reach under and grab my own wrist and straighten my arms out. He lets go then but in NHB you would get KOed in this position so be careful. Send the pic please.
4/7/04 11:31 AM
EmenGeeRoxx

Chris, thanks man. My only fear is that if I use my left hand to straighten out my right hand he may trap both my arms behind my back. He might just sit there all day. Or he'll just start controlling the left hand the same way he was doing my right. Forgot to mention this guy was about 100lbs heavier than me with tard wrestler strength. And his fingers could probably wrap around my skinny wrists 2 times. Thanks bro.
4/7/04 11:36 AM
WestsideStrangler

LOL! Well that is a shitty position. A lot of times you can set up a triangle when he reaches back like that. Give it a try.
4/7/04 11:46 AM
EmenGeeRoxx

Cool, I'll give both a try. Will send the pic when I get home from work. Thanks bro.
4/7/04 7:45 PM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 07-Apr-04 08:20 PM
Chris tried your method and it worked. Bolo (Michael Jen) also gave me some advice. He said if he is using his left hand and shoving my right arm behind my back, push on the left side of his face and do omoplata. That worked really well too. Still have problems though if he manages to pass my right arm to his right hand. But your method worked better for that situation. Is that match between u and Sherk online anywhere? Thanks again and I sent the pic to your email. Later bro. Edited for mistake
5/12/04 1:58 PM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 12-May-04
Chris, emailed you more info about the seminar. Do you know when UFC 49 is?
5/13/04 1:20 AM
WestsideStrangler

Edited: 13-May-04
I know the next one is June 19th but I don't know what number it is.
5/13/04 12:01 PM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 13-May-04
Hey Chris, We didn't want to conflict the timing of the seminar with the UFC in September which I was presuimg to be UFC 49. I guess the event/date will be confirmed in a few months. I also sent you some contact info in case you needed to reach the owner of the gym. I am sure he'll be in contact with you soon though.
5/29/04 4:08 PM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 29-May-04
Chris, I'll be in Cali June 17-27. My cousin lives around Pacific Park/Aliso Creek Rd. He said it's close to your gyms so hopefully we can stop in. I already warned him that you'll break his legs if he goes to the 'other' gym. :)
6/14/04 8:34 PM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 14-Jun-04
Chris, sent you some mail. Reply when you can. Thx.
6/16/04 2:26 AM
WestsideStrangler

Edited: 16-Jun-04
Did I?
7/6/04 11:27 PM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 06-Jul-04
Yeah bro u did thanks. Sorry I wasn't able to drop by while I was down there. I was busy upon arrival and only had 3 days to chill at the end of my trip. I elected to go surfing at Coronado and Aliso Creek. But I look forward to seeing you in September. Man I loved it out there in the OC. I am interested in moving there and would definitely sign up at NG. If anyone can hook up an aerospace/software engineer with a job or refer me to some reputable companies to apply to in the area I'd appreciate it :)
7/15/04 12:25 AM
EmenGeeRoxx

Edited: 15-Jul-04
Chris saw the ad for your seminar in my gym today...so u coming down for sure Sept 11/12?
7/15/04 12:31 AM
Jimmyeatspoo

Edited: 15-Jul-04
We've got Boeing(sp) and McDonald Douglas out here...If those are reputable enough for ya

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.