UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Attn: FudoMyoo, Prof, Merryprank.

11/19/03 3:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Krawdaddy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Nov-03

You three seem to have the most crazy knowledge on this entire forum. Every time I see a post from one of you, I am amazed on the amount you know on most subjects, especially those on religion and science. You guys all seem to always ask the best questions, give the best arguements and always seem to be right, at least from my perspective. I figured once I get into college, I would very much like to be able to display the wealth of knowledge that you three seem to show time and time again. I really would like to know from the three of you what books/authors do you recommend to get a better understanding of philisophy, Religion, science, and anything else that you feel might be worth learning about. I also would like to know your beliefs if you have any.
11/19/03 8:22 AM
Victor W

ttt
11/19/03 11:15 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 19-Nov-03 06:41 PM
Hi Krawdaddy, Thanks alot for the nice words, I´m flatered really :-) But to be honest I don´t think I deserve all those compliments. My knowledge in those areas is imo quite mediocer, eventhough I love to discuss and study those topics as much as my time allows. I have studied both Medicine and related topics (Physiology, microbiology, biochemistry, patology etc) and Philosophy at University, so most of knowledge comes from there I guess. My favorite subjects in Philosophyclasses were the Ph. of Mind and Argument-analysis. So what I lack in knowledge, I substitute with debating skills and by critically analysing arguments of others . ;-) I have never seen Prof and Merryprankster post here on PhilosophyGround (unfortunatly), instead they hang around on HolyGround alot, so to get their views you´ll probably have to make the same thread over there. If you want a great introductory book that covers alot of the problems of Religion from a philosophical perspective, I recommend Philosophy of Religion: Selected Readings. If you want to read a good book on the Ph. of Mind I recommend David J. Chalmers anthology Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings Both those books are quite thick, but imo it´s not books to read from the first page to the last, but rather to look up the specific subject you are interested in and read that particular essay. Another favourite topic of mine is the problems concerning Determinism and Free Will, a good page on this can be found here. When it comes to the Ph. of Science, I have mostly read books by Swedish authors (my native toungue is not English), so those books will probably not help you very much. I think Dogbert knows his stuff very well in this area and the books that he recommends (by Rudolf Carnap and Hans Reichenbach) on this thread is probably worth getting. You also asked about my beliefs. That is not an easy question to answer shortly. I think the author that has influenced me most in the way I view life, the world and reality in general is Martinus. If you are interested, click on "Introduction" for a quick guide into his work and what it´s about. Regards /Fudo
11/19/03 2:38 PM
Merryprankster
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gosh, I appreciate the kind words. I think the biggest thing you can do for yourself is have a good command of the facts. Most people do not. Then, hone your critical thinking skills. I think those two things are more important than agreeing with a specific worldview. Get a book on logic/rhetoric and learn the most common fallacies (strawman, false dilemmas, etc). If nobody can understand what you are saying, nobody will listen. Speak plainly. Prose is only as good as what the reader gets out of it. I strive for simplicity. I don't post much here on the Philosophyground because the conversation here tends to go WAY beyond my knowledge. There's a lot of jargon I'm not familiar with so I don't understand a good bit of what I am reading. As it is, I left off in the early 20th century and have only hit the high points and figures in philosophy throughout history. Reading I recommend: C.S. Lewis' Christian works. Accessable doesn't mean simplistic. Nietzsche. Needs to be read for what he's SAYING, not what people think he's saying. Kierkegaard. Really great stuff--great perspective on what faith really is. All of Stephen Hawking's stuff for the layman. You'll have to reread a good deal of it, but it will all start to make sense. I have a B.S. in Government, so I got a lot of "How philosophy gets applied to everyday stuff," while writing many, many, many papers. Additionally, I had physics, chemistry and math beyond most B.S. requirements (nature of the school I went to, nothing special about me.) I also taught myself a good bit of organic chemistry during a drugs policy class and then more when I was helping an old girlfriend get through organic. In reality, I consider myself no more than a layman. I also freely admit to getting frustrated rather quickly--especially when I feel I'm repeating myself or dealing with somebody willfully obtuse--like when you say something very specific and they try to apply it in a way that has nothing to do with what you're talking about, etc. I advise against letting that show however.... Regards, MP
11/19/03 4:41 PM
Dogbert

Fudomyoo iseems to be very open minded and willing to learn. I guess that´s why he get´s familiar with every topic he touches that fast.
11/19/03 6:47 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 19-Nov-03 07:11 PM
Hey, what is is this.. Be-nice-to-Fudo-day today? :-) Thanks for your nice compliment too Dogbert!
11/20/03 3:29 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 20-Nov-03
No, it´s softening-the-prey day. After all, you are still a Swede, and always will be... ;-)
11/20/03 5:55 AM
Krawdaddy

Thanks for the recommendations. I am guessing most of the books you all mentioned can be found at most book stores like Barnes and Noble and such. Determinism looks really interesting. FM, do you recommend Leon James as a good author to look up on that subject? MP, I know Stephen Hawkings has written numerous books, which top three books would you recommend to get a basic idea on how he thinks? I enjoy how you two have an open minded approach to everything. I still can't figure out if the Holyground is an open religious forum or strictly used for discussing christian topics.
11/20/03 6:13 AM
Krawdaddy

I am also interested in Dogbert's beliefs and background. I read the intro to philosophy thread Bert put up a while back, but am also interested in any books he recommends for advance studies on philisophy and other subjects he might find important to know about.
11/20/03 8:42 AM
Dogbert

I´m studying economics and also took some course in (pure) math and philosophy. I have good math background and much curiosity. My goal is to become a mathematical economist. In terms of beliefs I´m a pretty left-leaning atheist. The politically philosophy I´m closest to is probably the one of Amartya Sen. He wrote a popular book, "Development and Freedom". I was involved in political activism since 99 and have learned much through that. Now the book recommandations: Logic: Read everything Raymond Smullyan wrote for a lay audience on logic (wonderful puzzle books). There is no gentler way to learn these things. You will find his stuff on Amazon.com. There´s also a little book by Ernest Nagel et al, "Gödels Proof" which explains the ideas behind Gödels revolutionary theorem with extreme clarity. Biology: "The Handicap Principle" by Zahavi and Zahavi is a wonderful introduction to smart analytic thinking in the theory of evolution. The best general text on evolution I know of is "The Theory of Evolution" by John Maynard Smith. It´s written for laypersons, but it´s not easy. Physics: Here I´m very much a layperson, but I think Richard Feynmans "QED" is readable for laypersons and gives you serious quantum mechanics without the math. On similar grounds as the books of Hawking are "The Shape of Space" by Jeffrey Weeks, written for highschool level readers but gives extremely deep insiths without becoming unreadable. All these books are a little bit demanding but readable. You may have problems with Nagels book. Do some Smullyan puzzles before you attempt it then.
11/20/03 11:09 AM
FudoMyoo

"FM, do you recommend Leon James as a good author to look up on that subject?" Sorry, can´t tell. Haven´t read him.
11/20/03 3:01 PM
Merryprankster
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recommend: A Brief History of Time The Theory of Everything The Universe in a nutshell It took me quite awhile before I could visualize why gravity distorts spacetime in a saddle shape, LOL--that's what I mean by reading and re-reading!!
11/20/03 5:14 PM
FudoMyoo

Yeah those books are great! Hawking is really good in explaining those things.
11/21/03 5:59 AM
Merryprankster

Edited: 21-Nov-03
Actually, I was reading a different book on Cosmology and String Theory when that visualization suddenly hit me. It's funny how simple things can elude your grasp for no apparent reason.
11/22/03 10:32 AM
Krawdaddy

Edited: 22-Nov-03
Dogbert, Raymond Smullyan has some pretty interesting readings. He can be a little tough to understand at times, but still is good reading. Nietzsche seems to have numerous books on him by various authors. Is there any particular writers I should be looking for? I can't seem to find any books by Zahavi locally for some reason. What exactly is a left-leaning athiest? Mp, I have read a bit of a Brief History in Time and find it pretty funny and very easy to understand. Fudo, what exactly is physiology?
11/22/03 3:02 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 22-Nov-03
"Brief History in Time" was translated bad, bad, bad to Portuguese the first time I read it... I was disgusted to what promised could have been a good reading.
11/23/03 6:13 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 23-Nov-03
"I can't seem to find any books by Zahavi locally for some reason." You can read about the theory on the net: http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/handicap/ "What exactly is a left-leaning athiest?" A atheist who is also on the political left, there isn´t that much connection between the two.
11/23/03 8:58 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 23-Nov-03
Physiology deals with the functions and activities of the (human) body (how organs, tissues and cells etc work). Very interesting subject.
11/24/03 5:40 AM
Cabal1

Edited: 24-Nov-03
Stephen Hawking pisses me off.
12/7/03 7:51 PM
Dogbert

Edited: 07-Dec-03
To add to the list: The best introductions to mathematics are: Friedrich Waismann, Introduction to Mathematical Thinking Herbert Meschkowski, Introduction to modern mathematics

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.