UnderGround Forums

Chris Brennan >> Your feelings on Frank Shamrock

12/15/03 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
perchdogg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Dec-03

What up Chris? Just curious to hear from the horse's mouth, i've read in a few different places that Frank Shamrock is/was your favorite fighter, and that he is the fighter you've tried to emulate... What about his game was it that you liked so much? Do you still feel the same way about him/think he'd rip shit up at 185 nowadays? I also heard you like BJ Penn's fight game... still feel that way? thanks for taking the time and your fight with mitsuoka was a clinic and the best fight of the night imo.
12/15/03 7:40 PM
WestsideStrangler
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Dec-03
Thank you and yes Frank would still do well at 185 if he is still training. I like Frank because he goes for the finish ALL THE TIME like me. I have 16 wins with 14 Submissions and 1 KO. I love how sick his cardio is as well. I like BJ but I really liked him when he was really aggressive. I haven't seen the Gomi fight so maybe he went back to his old ways. Also let me be the first to say Hughes is going to hurt him...
12/15/03 8:02 PM
swiftnhbfighter

Chris, That surprises me you you like frank as a fighter so much. I agree his cardio is unreal! But his submission skill really isn't all that. I would say his technical skill in grappling is white belt material. Now when i say that i don't mean that he can't beat a blue, purple, brown, or a black belt. I just mean technical knowledge. I bet Frank doesn't even know how to do an elbow-knee escape. I've always looked at Chris Brennan as a technically sound fighter. Everthing you do whether it be punching or kicking or ground work it always looks technically sound. Your mechanics are unreal. That is why i like watching you fight so much.
12/15/03 9:23 PM
WestsideStrangler
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think his position sucks but his ability to finish the fight is great. I don't mean his straight grappling skills. PS. Thank you for your compliments
12/15/03 11:02 PM
JB

Knowing Chris I will also say his comment is not a dig at BJ...but a strict compliment to the skills/strengths of Matt Hughes!!!!
12/16/03 12:18 AM
perchdogg

Edited: 16-Dec-03
thanks again for your time Chris... so you're saying, Frank's positioning game on the ground sucks but in terms of his actual submissions alone, he's pretty nasty? like, if he gets a hold of your arm, he can set in the armlock like nobody's business... Also, what do you think about Frank's idea of not being weary of any position? He always says he doesn't care if somebody mounts him or has him in north-south, etc. because he's been there so many times, and that's why he puts less emphasis on his positioning game. Do you agree with this at all?
12/16/03 1:36 AM
swiftnhbfighter

i think Frank of all people should be weary of what position he is put in. the only mount escape frank knows is bridge up and down. Which is a total waste of energy. If frank fought any of the good brazilian fighters of today i think he would get murdered. The fighters of today are far more technical then they were 5 to 10 years ago. The amatuers in this sport today would crush the UFC fighters of the past.
12/16/03 3:59 PM
Boyscout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To the top for people who think Frank doesnt roll with good people behind the scenes. Frank is the first to say build your own game, you dont have to follow me (I am a fan of Chris and I am sure he would say the same thing). I cannot roll the way Frank does but as Chris has pointed out, I can take that allways trying to submit or finish part and add it to my own game, along with better cardio. The funny thing is when you roll with Frank his game messes you up. He's very good at making you go down the path he wants. Hence he is rather good at getting subs on people who are "better" on the ground than him in Vale Tudo sparring.
12/16/03 10:08 PM
swiftnhbfighter

You can have the best cardio in the world if you don't have a good foundation on positional escapes, then your great cardio won't help you much. After building a good foundation on escapes, then you need to work on positional dominance. If you can't dominate from a position then you will never be able to go for a submission. After that you should work on your submissions. Escapes are the most important. If you can't escape then you can't get to a position to submit. If you can't dominate a position and your opponent keeps escaping then you won't be able to go for a sub.
12/17/03 1:02 AM
JarvisKolen

Edited: 17-Dec-03
swiftnhbfighter: Dude, I hope you honestly don't believe the things you just said about Frank's ground skills. Trust me bro, he knows more than one mount escape and he may not know "elbow knee" the way you, I or Roy Harris do, bu he can sure as hell shrimp crawl and get to guard and do a myriad of other things to improve his position. Frank is sick on the ground and I don't give a damn who you are he is going to give you problems. ChrisBrennan: I will e-mail you something in private about Frank because I don't want this to become a war of words. Jarvis
12/17/03 1:05 AM
JarvisKolen

Edited: 17-Dec-03
Swiftnhbfighter: Dan, also technical doesn't end with BJJ as much as we like to think sometimes. Just because it isn't BJJ doesn't mean it isn't technical. Jarvis
12/18/03 12:43 AM
WestsideStrangler

Edited: 18-Dec-03
Jarvis- I have no mail.
12/18/03 12:00 PM
Honorato

Edited: 18-Dec-03
Chris Brennan, Jarvis is having a weird couple of days. today is his son's 11th birthday and early this morning he found out one of my training partners and his student was killed in Irag during an attack.
12/19/03 12:10 AM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-03
LOL @ people bagging on Frank's game. Guess thats why BJ trained with him, since he has white belt skills. Frank's game works for him, period. I'm not saying he can't be subbed, but I'd bet money most bb could NOT sub him.
12/26/03 9:17 AM
Mozilla

Edited: 26-Dec-03
Wasn't there some story a while back about how Frank trained with Renzo and they would always start with Frank being mounted, but Renzo could never keep frank down no matter what he tried? Anyone remember this?
12/26/03 11:27 AM
WestsideStrangler

Edited: 26-Dec-03
I don't remember this but I believe it.
12/30/03 1:47 AM
delariva72

Edited: 30-Dec-03
hey swift you crack on frank shamrock how may titles you win in ufc?
12/31/03 4:12 AM
JarvisKolen

Edited: 31-Dec-03
WestsideStrangler: Chris, sorry about the delay. I've had a lot to deal with. Anyway, the Renzo/Frank thing is what I wanted to tell you about. It's already been done, so we're good. Jarvis
12/31/03 3:49 PM
perchdogg

Frank also said himself on his own webpage in response to a fan's question about rolling with Gracies that he had rolled only with Ralph, and if you wanted to know what the outcome of that was, you should ask Ralph's knee surgeon.
12/31/03 4:36 PM
WestsideStrangler

LOL!
12/31/03 6:47 PM
markpal
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank also said himself on his own webpage in response to a fan's question about rolling with Gracies that he had rolled only with Ralph, and if you wanted to know what the outcome of that was, you should ask Ralph's knee surgeon I call BS on that
1/1/04 2:01 PM
UD180

Edited: 01-Jan-04
I don't know if it's BS or not but I heard the same story from Francisco Bueno.
1/2/04 11:53 PM
Irishgrappler

Edited: 02-Jan-04
Also, Frank said when he rolled with Ralph, that Ralph was trying to go out of his way to hurt him when they rolled, which pissed him off i'd imagine.
1/5/04 12:48 PM
perchdogg

Edited: 05-Jan-04
I'm not lying at all, I read that on Frank Shamrock's web page... if the story about Frank hurting Ralph's knee isn't true, than it's because Frank is being dishonest.
2/22/04 8:26 PM
bustyourleg

Edited: 22-Feb-04
Chris Frank is my idol as well but you are one aswell I think Frank has a insane ground game with skill that look alot like sakuraba's ,I notice he never gets ground and pounded like everyone else even in bad positions he seems to always attack no matter where he is his bottom defence is the best Ive seen his mount escapes are awesome bridge 1,2,3, shrimp or hip pop from your safety positions and his safety crawl technique is price less.I think people dont like frank ground game because he doesnt use bjj he does what ever works from anywhere not settling into these positions people practice escaping all day long.I think he's going to rip people apart when he fights in pride because on his mma lay off he worked his stand up more so that means he will come in ten times better than before.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.