UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Philosophy Class: Rights & Wrongs

12/18/03 6:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
limpjena
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Dec-03

Hi guys, I'm taking a introductory philosophy class next semester, entitled "Rights and Wrongs." Now in general, most professors have been most open to discussions and debates in class including those that often go against their viewpoint. This semester though, I got burned by a very egotistical man. So now I'm weary of being a good honest open student who speaks his mind blah blah. What've your opinions regarding philosophy professors been in general? The same as with any other subject? Or the professors tend to identify more with their subject matter? My course books are : Mill's Utilitarianism. Kant's Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals What sort of a man are we dealing with? If I know his school of thought, I shall climb aboard his bandwagon.. Thanks everyone PVJ
12/19/03 1:37 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 19-Dec-03
sounds pretty much like most basic philosophy 101 or ethics classes. From my experience, you will get burned if you challenge the professor without doing the reading or maintain narrow views despite what you should be studying. Utility is easy for most people to understand, so there shouldnt be much there to fight about. The people who often cause trouble in these classes (in my experience) are those who live strictly by the devine command theory (its right because god said said so). These people often believe that god is the final answer in any debate about right or wrong and are unwilling to hear other ideas on the topic. This can cause conflict, oddly enough.
12/19/03 8:14 AM
DonnaTroy

There are two different approaches to study: 1 - to learn 2 - to get the degree Many times you can learn by your own without needing a professor. A good professor is quite rare to find, and bad professors you can find them everywhere. If you change your perspective to "to get the degree", it will be easier to deal with the bad professor, you can learn later by your own. I love learning, but I´ve found myself in the place that I would need to bend to practical reasons...
12/19/03 9:54 PM
hakujin

Those goddamn suburban white kids in my classes don't even dare to argue with me. The cowards! Bwwwaaaaaahhhh....!
12/20/03 12:25 AM
marck

Edited: 20-Dec-03 01:47 AM
There was a guy in one of my Sociology classes that used to verbally pimp-slap the professor on a regular basis. It was truly sad. There was a Psychology teacher in the same department that had a hard time with smart students too. They were from the same department, and they were both great at circular arguments, non-sequiturs, etc... I called the Dean on the phone and basically asked why airheads were teaching in her department. I have been biased against the social sciences ever since.
12/20/03 8:15 AM
Cabal1

Edited: 20-Dec-03
"There was a guy in one of my Sociology classes that used to verbally pimp-slap the professor on a regular basis. It was truly sad." This is the point at which I'd switch universities. I think it depends on who you get teaching the subject. All of the philosophy lecturers at my former uni were very tolerant of divergent views, even retarded first-year divergent views. They had a real knack of trying to find something relevant in the most incoherent points...
12/20/03 8:48 AM
FudoMyoo

"I don't know what makes these kids think they can outsmart the teacher. " Sometimes they can be right (and the PhD terribly wrong), they just don´t know how to express it good.
12/20/03 11:55 AM
marck

"All of the philosophy lecturers at my former uni were very tolerant of divergent views, even retarded first-year divergent views." The teacher was regularly pimp-slapped by the student, not the other way around. Tolerance of diverging opinions wasn't even an issue.
12/21/03 9:31 AM
Cabal1

Edited: 21-Dec-03 09:32 AM
"The teacher was regularly pimp-slapped by the student, not the other way around. Tolerance of diverging opinions wasn't even an issue." Yes, hence my statement "This is the point at which I'd switch universities." To be honest, I'd be embarrassed to have a degree from a university whose staff members were regularly outsmarted by first year students. It doesn't say a lot for the quality of your degree if those are the kind of people marking your assignments and deciding whether you pass or fail - to put it in another context, I'd consider it a joke to have a blue belt from a BJJ school whose black belt was regularly tapped by untrained kids. The part of my post you're talking about was addressed to the original poster, who it's to be hoped is studying at a more competent organisation.
12/21/03 3:24 PM
marck

Edited: 21-Dec-03
LOL, whatever.
12/24/03 9:35 PM
Dogbert

Edited: 24-Dec-03
"I always think you 18-22, this is a beginning philosophy class you don't know what you are talking about...how could you possibly argue with a man who has his PHD in philosophy? Why shouldn´t it be possible to have some knowledge of philosophy before taking the first course? There are other ways to learn too. And even if they are wrong, getting corrected by the prof may help them to understand where they went wrong. "All of the philosophy lecturers at my former uni were very tolerant of divergent views, even retarded first-year divergent views." What are "retarded first-year divergent views". I mean, there are still philosophers spending their time with Heidegger.
12/25/03 12:22 AM
cycklops
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Dec-03
Being at the undergraduate level is the time to question the professor or have opposing viewpoints. That doesn't mean be an idiot about it. You have to be prepared with an argument, but that's what makes it tough. A 101 level class works on the sassumption you have little or no knowledge of Philosophy so the professor will always have the upper hand. I've heard horror stories of guys at the graduate level classes taking opposing views with the professor and really getting screwed. Of course I think that's rare and it really depends on the ego of the professor but you definitely stand more to lose if you cross a line in the graduate or post graduate level.
12/25/03 7:03 AM
FiatLux

grad profs can be very petty from what ive heard.
12/25/03 9:44 AM
Cabal1

"What are "retarded first-year divergent views". I mean, there are still philosophers spending their time with Heidegger." At least Heidegger can disguise his retarded ideas with sophisticated trickery...
12/25/03 10:11 AM
hakujin

Heidegger had retard ideas? Oh my!
12/25/03 11:21 AM
Dogbert

"At least Heidegger can disguise his retarded ideas with sophisticated trickery..." Or "raping language", as literature Nobel Günter Grass called it.
12/25/03 1:49 PM
hakujin

Heidegger raped language? Oh my!
12/25/03 1:58 PM
hakujin

Yes, please enlighten me. What's so retarded about Heidegger? *Someone who has actually read Heidegger is asking the question*
12/25/03 2:35 PM
DonnaTroy

hakujin I also read Heidegger. Blergh. My professor is a fan of his works about arts. But even him recognized that Heidegger did get words from ancient Greek and distorted their meanings to fit his own necessities.
12/25/03 3:03 PM
limpjena

Well, everyone, thanks for your input into this. The way I see it, if the professor is a cool guy with little ego and teaching being his main priority, I should have a good time learning and arguing with what I believe doesnt follow or make sense logically. And if he's small minded and not the cool professor I'm hoping for, I shall do the readings and be the sickening but perfect student in class and get my A as is right and proper. :-) merry christmas, pvj
12/25/03 4:15 PM
Dogbert

"What are some of Heidegger's retarded views?" Heidegger had no views, what he said was literally nonsense. Ask the dead ghost of Carnap. He seemed to have a political position though... "*Someone who has actually read Heidegger is asking the question*" You speak German? Because translating gibberish is bound not to make sense. I had a long discussion with friends about why the fucking Nazi was praised by left-wing existentialist. Our conclusion was that "mis-"translation was the reason. Of course Heideggers gibberish has no meaning, so it´s pointless to judge the translations. "And if he's small minded and not the cool professor I'm hoping for, I shall do the readings and be the sickening but perfect student in class and get my A as is right and proper." You know there´s a place where you can always discuss philsophy. Even evil continental philosophy freaks like hakujin.
12/26/03 11:19 AM
Cabal1

Edited: 26-Dec-03
I've read and written about "Being and Time" (in English translation, but we can't all be multilingual smartasses like Dogbert), and it was my impression also that Heidegger actually had very little to say. "Being and Time" to me comes off like Dungeons and Dragons, or Star Trek. It's a little fantasy excursion into the mystical world of being-in-itself and being-for-itself and Dasein and Verfallenheit and authenticity and being-to-hand and fear and Angst, all of which bear complex relationships to one another but none of which has anything much to do with anything outside Heidegger-in-the-world.
12/29/03 6:27 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 29-Dec-03
Cabal1 is being correct in his Dasein.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.