UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> I want a small turtle

12/19/03 11:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
inkexcape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-03 11:58 AM

I'm looking for a beginner land turtle/tortise. I'm focused on "small". I want a turtle that doesn't get large and good for beginners. Also a land turtle would be best. Suggestions?
12/20/03 3:45 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Dec-03
This one makes a great first pet
1/7/04 7:31 PM
KimuraCrunch

Edited: 07-Jan-04
Hmmm....land turtle,available in pet trade,doesnt get big...cant really think of one lol.You could always try a box turtle all though most states dont even sell them anymore I dont think.Not to mention box turtles dont do well in captivity unless the enclosure is outdoors(in a state with a climate fit for box turtles of course.) There are some semi terrestrial/semi aquatic turtles that might interest you such as the Malaysian box turtle.I purchased one once but I discovered sores on its feet which can be a sign of teburculosis(sp?) so I took it back.After that,I guess I never really saw one again or cared for that matter.It was a beautiful turtle though. When it comes to small turtles,nothing beats a baby water turtle.Map turtles,painted turtles,sliders,etc...However most states(if not all) are not allowed to sell a turtle of this species unless it is over 4 inches long.Some pet stores will carry these turtles and put a sign on the tank saying "sold for scientific purposes only".Here in Florida,alot of guys will sell you one anyway if you seem cool enough.Theyre pretty much obligated to put that sign up. Now bare in mind,Im just getting back into reptiles and such after about 3 years of only having one little gecko.So for all I know the turle youre looking for is now in the pet trade and sold regularly.I loved turtles as a kid and thats where most of my knowledge of them comes from.Im sure somebody else on this forum could give you better info than me.But most of them seem to focus on big ass snakes that could eat a chihuahua.I hope I was more imformative than a box of chocolate turtles anyway:) p.s.I hear the chinese box turtle is a good pet but not much to look at if you ask me.When you say "doesn't get large"...how large do you feel is too large?
4/17/04 4:17 AM
doomsterjiujitsu
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-04
My first turtle was a box turtle, very easy to take care of. Eats almost anything you give it fruit,insects,lizards,small fish I used to have it indoors now shes outside, have had her for over 15 years.
4/18/04 8:56 AM
Elvis
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Apr-04
I want a bearded dragon... :)
5/13/05 4:49 AM
Tyler Knight

Edited: 13-May-05
I have two baby red eared slider aquatic turtles. After thinking about the upkeep of the tank, I am getting a box turtle. Still, it's kinda cool to see aquatic turtles chase after feeder fish..
5/18/05 11:05 AM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 18-May-05
Why specifically a land turtle? I think there are some pretty small water ones.
5/19/05 1:36 PM
Gibsons finest

Edited: 19-May-05
I saw a small tortise at my local reptile shop, where i got my beardie.... it went for about $500 though, i'll take a look at what kind it is when i am in there tomorrow
5/24/05 1:09 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-May-05
A good tort would be a russian or a redfoot. They don't get humungous like a sulcatta. Sliders are very cool, i say keep em and concentrate on making some sort fo enclosure that will work well for them and be easy to maintain for you.
5/24/05 1:10 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 24-May-05
A good tort would be a russian or a redfoot. They don't get humungous like a sulcatta. Sliders are very cool, i say keep em and concentrate on making some sort fo enclosure that will work well for them and be easy to maintain for you.
2/24/06 2:39 PM
Chuck

Edited: 24-Feb-06
FightJobs.com
leapord tort's are cool.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.