UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> if you had to pick one sword...

12/20/03 3:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cornponebrauch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Dec-03

I've been sport fencing for some years now and have been thinking about buying a real sword, mostly just to have around- aesthetic reasons I guess. But I was wondering , though, (sort of by continuation of some of the threads below)what would be the best design to have if you had to defend yourself with it in an everyday situation? (I mean here strictly the qualities of the sword design itself, not the person using it, or the build quality etc..) I'd tend to think a straight thrusting sword with an edge, something relativly light and fast, but sturdy, would be best for non dueling, general street use- a rapier or a thick sword cane, maybe a roman style short sword. I'm just supposing that hypothetically, having never (yet) been forced to use my skills in the real world. And it probably goes without saying that I'm not worried about weapon laws, etc. and am only wondering theoretically what sword would be best for general street usage, burglar attack, zombie holocaust, or a mad max, post apocalypse scenario, where "the living envy the dead", etc, etc...
12/20/03 6:15 PM
zulrik

I have a "Wakizashi" ... a Japanese-style short sword from Bugei. More info at http://bugei.com/product_878_detailed.htm
12/20/03 7:58 PM
cornponebrauch

I've never done any kendo, but as I understand it, Japanese swords were originally meant for military rather than personal use. That is, they are excellent at cutting through things but can't really parry or thrust very well (I heard that somewhere, but am not sure if it's true?). I've always been told that thrusting is a lot more efficient (faster, needs less space)than slashing, and that along with the fact that Japanese swords are only edged on one side, would seem to make a rapier (something like this) http://www.manningimperial.com/item.phpitem_id=297&category_id=2&group_id=1 a better choice if you were going to fight a motorcycle gang on uncertain terrain, or something like that. One other question; I think I can understand why someone might pay thousands of dollars for a Japanese sword, because of the work that goes into making one that meets the original purpose of the sword, and the insane amounts of detail and decorative work you often see on them. I'm wondering though, whether those prices are justified for a european style sword -that is, aren't most of them really just sharpend crow bars? Unless there's some sort of glaring construction difference, then is there really that much seperating the stuff from the high end makers from some of the better items you see on ebay?
12/20/03 11:30 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Foil, Saber, Epee? I'd reccomend either an Italian smallsword, a French rapier, or a Scottish saber- depending on what you do. And of course- Pres? Partez! Halte!
12/21/03 9:02 AM
rayfloro

Edited: 21-Dec-03
Jedi Light Sabre......... :-)
12/21/03 11:13 AM
membrane

Edited: 21-Dec-03
I really like the feel of the ginunting, a short filipino sword that is a bit top heavy and curved to the opposite side than a sabre.
12/21/03 5:37 PM
StuMc

Edited: 21-Dec-03 11:31 PM
Get yourself a nice big Bowie. I have yet to meet a modern fencer who isn't good at Bowie knife fighting the first time they pick one up. Some historical examples are *BIG*. Edit- Hey Martial Shadow. the French were famous for their smallsword, the Italians for their rapiers and the Scots for their stright basket hilted swords. Care to explain your recommendations? Twould be a good discussion I think. Cheers, Stu.
1/4/04 9:58 AM
CaptainCaveman

Edited: 04-Jan-04
The Green Destiny.
1/4/04 1:50 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-04
Got French and Italians mixed up, smash my head against a wall! As to Scottish saber, outside of sport swords I only ever handled a Scottish saber, a Russian Kindjal and a Scimtar. Of those, the Scottish saber seemed to most natural. MS
1/5/04 5:21 AM
StuMc

Edited: 05-Jan-04
Interesting. Historically a Scottish sword was called a (phonetically, I don't speak Gaelic) Claigh de-Crom. Was this sword a basket hilt? What era was it from? Cheers, Stu
1/5/04 10:52 AM
gotgame
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would think the best sword in the Mad Max sense of things would be whichever one you're best at. I fancy a sword cane myself! But I'm a kendo-iaido guy and would take up a functional katana. It's not true that a katana "can't really parry or thrust very well," just that thrusting is not the emphasis of the weapon's usage, cutting is. As for which is better, cut vs. thrust, that's an age old debate, and my feeling has always been whatever gets the job done. A katana can do both but it's normally slashed with. Also, a European sword is much, much more than a sharpend crow bar. The Japanese made a great many art swords that are preserved as such, so the kind you usually see in collectors' collections could be valuable because of that. But the Euro sword was every bit as elegant as its Asian counterparts, depending on which time in history it was made. Modern swords are mostly worth the money one pays for them (you know, unless yer buying a cheap-ass wallhanger; I'm talking about functional weapons made to be used in martial arts practice, Asian or Euro).
1/5/04 12:59 PM
martial_shadow

It was kind of like a navy cutlass, a real saber that a mounter or dismounted guy could use to cut deeply into you or just run you threw. MS
1/5/04 8:10 PM
StuMc

Cool MS. I love sabres at the moment and am thinking about getting one to play with. Stu.
1/6/04 6:03 AM
cornponebrauch

Edited: 06-Jan-04
""Foil, Saber, Epee? I'd reccomend either an Italian smallsword, a French rapier, or a Scottish saber- depending on what you do. "" Thanks! All or any one of the 3 at a given time. I think I remember someone telling me that the epee is directly from the small sword, while the foil was always just a training tool for the small sword. That's why foil has so many rules like right of way, and so on. When Aldo Nadi(a famous fencer from the 20's) dueled, he just took the button off his competition epee. ""Get yourself a nice big Bowie. I have yet to meet a modern fencer who isn't good at Bowie knife fighting the first time they pick one up. Some historical examples are *BIG*. "" Well that's good to know. And actually, I've been thinking for a long while now that I could use a good knife -even if only for boring things like cleaning my nails and opening packages. I don't know anything about them, could you suggest any good Bowie brands/models?
1/20/04 4:42 PM
KneeStriker

Edited: 20-Jan-04
http://kneestriker.4t.com/
1/25/04 9:33 PM
Einar
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jan-04
Wasnt part of the reason why the rapier was replaced by the smallsword that the rapier was a bit impractical for self defense? A rapier tends to have a very long blade, so it's slower to draw, and i imagine it wouldnt be very practical in confined spaces. If you got room, the reach of the rapier is very useful though, so its probably a great dueling weapon. For self defense, I think I'd want some kind of cut'n thrust sword that was fairly short. A wak would probably be good, or a gladius.
1/26/04 12:21 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: 26-Jan-04
A nice 2.75 pound cut and thrust sword
1/28/04 12:49 PM
BuddhistFist

Edited: 28-Jan-04
a nice full tang functional katana which would be easy to wield....nice 28" blade of carbon steel..just perfect to cut the head of a zombie
1/28/04 11:28 PM
zulrik

Edited: 28-Jan-04
A wakizashi is ideal ... longer than a knife, shorter than a sword or katana ... appropriate for inside the house!
1/30/04 2:53 PM
Rich Santoro

Edited: 30-Jan-04
maXfighting.com
Definatley a short sword of some kind. In a real life scenario you don't want an attacker getting inside of you attack range. The gladius is proven for close quarter combat. Its straight blade makes it easy to direct and thrust. Plus it has a little girth so you could effectively slash with it.
2/20/04 3:18 PM
RobertoK

Edited: 20-Feb-04
A Roman gladius seems like a good bet.
2/20/04 10:14 PM
TrueFightScholar

Edited: 20-Feb-04
Venetian schiavona...
3/1/04 12:08 AM
onefromnone

Edited: 01-Mar-04
War Hammer, I prefer to bludgeon zombies, but since we are talking about Swords I would say a Naval Dirk or Kuki!
3/31/04 1:36 PM
ShiroRyu

Edited: 31-Mar-04
I would have to choose a katana.
3/31/04 3:02 PM
Sickboy13

Edited: 31-Mar-04
Two Thai daab's. Designed for close in fighting, short enough to handle like a knife (reverse grip) for blade grappling, enough of a curve for a devastating slash, straight enough for thrusting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.