UnderGround Forums

On The Fridge >> What is art?

1/22/04 12:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wrath of Heaven
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-04

I'm sure that this thread has been done before, but this is the first time I've looked in this forum. I would define art as anything created by a person. Discuss.
1/22/04 12:12 PM
reverend john
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well I created a nice steaming turd a few minutes ago is that art? :) But I agree, art is anything that is created. Fine art however, will be the big debate. the rev
1/22/04 1:18 PM
gotgame
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have this quarrel with a friend of mine all the time. I say art is anything anyone says is art. He says, no, only when a community of people accept it as art is it art. Then there's highbrow, lowbrow, and middlebrow art.
1/22/04 3:13 PM
pastmyprime
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something produced by a person that has a quality that is more than necessity or mere functionality.
1/22/04 3:51 PM
gotgame
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why too narrow, Ferox? What if only one person insists it's art, is it? (By my definition, yeah.) How many people have to agree it is art? At least two? "Community" needn't imply a cohesive community. Maybe a "strata of people" would be a better way of describing it?
1/22/04 4:23 PM
Skimmmmy
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think ferox defines it on the opening page :P This is my definition: Art is subjective, not objective. Therefore art is what your opinion is, ie Skimmy: "I think that's art!" SatanJr: "That's a bunch of candy corn glued to a stick you fucking dipshit I hate you!" Skimmy: "I think it's dreamy." SatanJr: "I'm going to get drunk."
3/17/04 10:22 PM
FastAndBulbous

Edited: 17-Mar-04
Art is: Communication through the use of a skill.

A skill is a talent which has been refined through practice and education until the artist can control it and get the results he intended.

A talent is an ability that most people do not have.

Now, whether or not the art is "good" depends on WHAT is being communicated, and how well. "How well" depends on the level of the artist's skill.

And of course the more honest it is, the better;
communication requires honesty by definition.
3/29/04 3:20 AM
FastAndBulbous

Edited: 29-Mar-04
There are some frequencies that we all share, though.

Maybe you can't relate to a poem about the beauty of a rose and its tragically short existence, if you don't like roses.
But a good poem isn't really about the rose.
It's about the universal concept of beauty, which everyone understands.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.