UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Teaching Methods

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/30/04 10:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JDDynamic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jan-04

I think that this relates to PDR as well as traditional, so here it goes... I was re-viewing the "Close Quarter Form: Train the Trainer Drills" video tape yesterday. There was a portion of the tape that refers to 2 methods of educating. The first being that of an "In-Role" educator/trainer; and the second being more of a "Socratic" educator/trainer. The way I understood these was that the first related to the way that most teaching is conducted in MA and MMA environments...that of telling the student to move a should forward, put this here, etc.; and that the second was to engage the students more interactively by asking them questions, allowing them to ask questions, and to create more of a self-coaching paradigm wherein the students themselves (or any of us) can understand why something may not be "correct" or "desirable". Does any one else have input on these issues/differences? Am I on the mark? Am I missing anything? Jason D
1/30/04 4:47 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 30-Jan-04
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Jason, Glad to see youre looking past the demos & the drills and seeking insights into helping the transmission of the info... Some of this info will not traslate well in this format...(i.e. call me). 'In-Role' is a role-playing principle (literal or psychological), its used to improve the emotioal/psychological relationship between the participant, the scenario and the emotional climate. Socratic Teaching is where the 'coach' teacher knows where he wants the student to be and helps him/her arrive there through Q&A, drills, dialog, etc. Instead of having someone memorize the XYZ tactic or correct answer, the Socratic approach seeks to create substance over subject. Tony
1/31/04 10:41 PM
P

Edited: 31-Jan-04
Jason, For a great book on coaching using the Socratic Method I strongly suggest you read "Coaching for Performance" by John Whitmore. Truly one of the best books on the subject of real coaching I've ever read... at least it will have to do until Tony actually decides to publish something ;-) Phil
2/3/04 11:44 PM
FJJ828
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-04
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
Tony was the first Instructor I ever had who used the Socratic teaching method really effectively. It had a profound effect on my learning curve and forever changed the way I coached my students. It builds rapport with students and brings them into the class where they discover a lot for themselves under the "guidance" of the coach.
2/6/04 1:30 PM
JDDynamic

Edited: 06-Feb-04
Phil, Thanks for the book referal. Picked it up today and will be reading it between now and the BMF session in March. Hope to see you there?! Jason

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.