UnderGround Forums

On The Fridge >> "On The Fridge" Intro Page

5/28/08 11:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BobAsh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The quality of art IS subjective IMO, and I hate the word "monkeystomp".

5/28/08 5:26 PM
FastAndBulbous

Yeah but if it doesn't communicate anything to anyone then it's safe to say it's not good art
5/29/08 7:49 AM
BobAsh

Well that's a fair statement, but I can't imagine seeing anything that doesn't communicate "something" to "someone".

Also, monkeys do not stomp in my experience.

5/29/08 8:02 AM
FastAndBulbous

I'm not talking about something "meaning something" to "someone", I'm talking about communicating what the artist intended and having it correctly understood by the audience.

So if the artist didn't intend anything, like he just spilled a bucket of paint on a canvas, then the image is random and doesn't contain a human thought process which can be interpreted by observers. Maybe the artist is trying to say something about the art community by hanging a paint spill on the wall, but what is he trying to say? If we have to invent our own meaning, then the artist isn't communicating anything and it's just an exercise in our own imagination rather than art.

The meaning of a work of art must be objective, otherwise it has no meaning at all. If someone interprets the Mona Lisa by saying, "I think it's supposed to be a portrait of Abraham Lincoln", that person is wrong. Their opinion of art, and "what they get out of it", is not what the artist intended and therefore they don't get it. The artist failed to communicate to that person.

Some opinions about art are wrong, and some things which are called art are meaningless. Because if anything can be art regardless of what it is, then art is just another word for "thing". If everything is art, then nothing is art.
5/29/08 11:33 AM
BobAsh

FastAndBulbous - Some opinions about art are wrong... 

I have to disagree.  By my definition art is something created specifically for it's aestheticity.  Aesthetics are subjective.

Remember, I didn't say the definition of art is subjective, just it's quality.  Of course, this debate has raged on for centuries so I don't expect anyone to necessarily agree with me.

5/29/08 1:21 PM
FastAndBulbous

Something created for aesthetic purposes is called "decoration".
10/21/08 3:56 PM
ferox13
584 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

by the way i didn't write that VISC did...

no idea why my name is on it.
10/23/08 9:59 PM
FastAndBulbous

But I've been printing T-shirts with that for the past 4 years and telling people you wrote it! Thousands of T-shirts out there, all with the wrong name on them...

Meh, I'll just release a patch.
10/24/08 2:34 AM
ferox13
584 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL
1/14/10 5:43 PM
Ethan Crane
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this matter has not been settled.
1/14/10 9:05 PM
FastAndBulbous

It's settled in my book
1/14/10 9:06 PM
FastAndBulbous

It's settled in my book
1/20/10 12:20 AM
Ethan Crane
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FAB,

Is your song about John Peretti posted anywhere online? I loved it, and would be grateful for a chance to hear it again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.