UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Our Responsibility

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/3/04 10:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AEMoores
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-04 11:59 AM

Just a few hours ago an Amber alert was announced in Florida for an 11 year old girl. The abduction was caught on a security camera outside a car wash just blocks from her parents house. The man walked up to the young girl, said somethings then took her arm and led her out of the camera's sight. Now we can sit here and speculate what was said or done to lure her away. That's not the point of this thread. While watching this on the news I was reminded of something coach has said to us time and time again. It is our responsibility to guide our students(traditional students, family, friends etc.) down the right path of self protection. To give them the right tools, whether it be mental and/or physical, to return home safely to their families. It is our reponsibility as teachers to realize that it's not about us anymore. It's about letting our students stand on our shoulders. It's about guiding them down the right path by "showing them what they can do, not what we can do." I know what I have just said isn't falling on deaf ears. Those that read this forum have taken those extra steps, stepped out of the box and have accepted the responsibility of being a true teacher. With that being said.....thank you accepting the responsibility. Best, Andrew Moores
2/5/04 11:38 AM
GaryK

Edited: 05-Feb-04
Andrew: You couldn't me more right. In anticpation of Coach's visit to my school (and knowing the personal rush that would follow) I named February "Personal Protection Month" at Khoury's Karate. The incident with the little girl has only made our theme this month that much more relevant/poignant. No longer are we working on just front kicks in our kids' safety classes. Coach's KidsSafe material along with scary, but true, real world accounts of abductions, abuse and more are carefully presented to the students so that they understand that real danger doesn't come in the form of a friendly karate instructor holding a kick pad. I know how passionate you are about sharing "what works" with your students. You're definitely in the right place at the right time with Coach and his PDR wisdom. Feels good, doesn't it? Stay safe, Gary
2/5/04 12:03 PM
JMullings

This is a rant, so bypass if you dont like Dennis Miller.....How could you have watched that video and not got incredibly mad. It was so "classic" in its approach. That should be a "real life' training video in the same way dash cams in Police Cars are often used in post incident training. The video is disturbing and from what I understand, the outcome was that the little girl was found murdered. They also have a suspect in custody. As a school owner who truly believes in what I teach to each of my students (PDR Material), I can sleep well at nite. What really bends my mind, is the parent who comes in and compares strictly on price, a program to the pajama clad Take My Dough program down the block. How can you convince a parent , that he invstment in their childs safety, awareness, skills, mindset, etc is in the best hands when putting them into a PDR program with a good instructor at a good school. My blood boils when you know you can dramatically improve a persons ability to survive a similar situation to this 12 yr old girl, yet the parent is ignorant as to what value they are receiving. Thanks again Tony for the material, content and continued Mad Professor passion Joe M.
2/5/04 5:22 PM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Enjoyed the rant Joe. We live in a strange world. Shit like that freaks me out as a parent. Tony

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.