UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> MMA & Self-Defense

2/4/04 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
spc36
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Feb-04

What changes does one need to make gong from MMA training to self-defense training? I use to thank that there was nothing better to prepare me for the street like my MMA training, but I am beggining to see that is not necessarily true. I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanx, spc36
2/5/04 1:10 AM
FJJ828

Edited: 05-Feb-04
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
The beautiful thing about MMA training is that you should already have a functional delivery system for when the fight is on. You should already know how to punch, kick, takedown, reverse, escape, get up, lock, choke, etc. You don't have to give that up and start practicing eyepokes on x-ray paper to change your focus to SD. Look at how fights actually start(Posturing, verbal cues, indications of weapons, etc). Study and practice verbal deescalation skills, think about non telegraphic first strike options, work with multiple subjects and simulated weapons in realistic scenarios. All this can be done with progressive resistance and without the "Survivalist" metality, in my opinion anyway. Tony's material is very flexible and compliments any other training you are doing, especially MMA.
2/5/04 8:46 AM
JMullings

"You don't have to give that up and start practicing eyepokes on x-ray paper to change your focus to SD. " hahahaha.....killin me Fletch. MMA, depending on the type of training that you do and the intensity of the training could be a good substrate for your physical delivery system (standup, clinch and ground should all be addressed). Keeping in mind that just one of the unique aspects of Tonys philosophy is that your training needs to address the 3 dimensions of Physical, emotional and psychological. The Good Guy in an attack can control a few things. Awarenees, skills and consent. The Bad Guy controls other things like the speed, proximity and aggressiveness of the attack. Your training shoyuld address these apects. Scenario based training, emotional climate training, BMF's, etc.... are all important aspects of your training triad that dont get exercised in your pure physical MMA curriculum. Additionally, the appropriatness of your response in PDR is explored, where as in MMA it is typical on the overly aggressive end of the spectrum, given the range of responses. Since we live in a highly litigous world, that should be considered whether it be from a legal or integrity situation. Thats a filter you own. So, your MMA training can give you some of the physical tools, some innoculation to contact (in a sport setting), good aenerobic threshold training and potentially good physical improvisation problem solving skills in a physical realm. The emotional and psychological need to be explored, because w/o those in place, you never get to give yourself the ability to respond in your a mess there. Tonys program is the best for those. Joe M
2/5/04 6:16 PM
spc36

Thanks guys for your responses.We have done some scenario based training where we would start at conversationn distance and suddenly blast in with very primative wild attacks with constant heavy pressure. What SHOCKED me was how much it through off my game. Although the attacks were untrained and wild, the suddeness, close range of initiation, and a VERY different rythm of attack made for alot of problems.Anyone else experience this? I am excited about these discoveries as I mistakingly assumed that with my background this wouldnt be a problem. I was afraid that I would be bored a little in taclkling the street attacks. This will now become my primary focus. I think that I am fast becoming a "SPEAR-HEAD". Thanks, spc36

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.