UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Roy Harris seminar

2/5/04 12:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-04

I recall reading on this forum that a RHarris seminar was happening in Erie Pa in March... still waiting for details. Thanks,
-Kev
2/6/04 11:08 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Feb-04
Kev, For more info on the Erie, Pennsylvania seminar, please contact John Bruno at: jbruno@mercyhurst.edu Roy Harris
2/6/04 12:23 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Feb-04
Thanks Roy!
3/28/04 12:02 PM
Kevin Curtis

Edited: 28-Mar-04
Attended the seminar yesterday... it was great to meet Roy and TwinkleToes! The topic was escaping side mount, and I got alot out of the seminar... especially regarding the timing of applying escapes. This only the third BJJ seminar I have ever attended (the last one was in 1994!)... but by far the best. -Kev
3/28/04 3:01 PM
Eel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin, Can you give details?
3/28/04 3:49 PM
Kevin Curtis

Sure... Roy is about 6'2" - 240lbs, and Chris (aka TwinkleToes) is maybe 5'10" and 165lbs. The seminar was held in the wrestling room at Mercyhurst College in scenic Eria Pa. Oh yeah... and Chris seriously needs to get the wiper motor on his car replaced. -Kev
3/28/04 8:58 PM
Eel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin, I was just wondering how many escapes he taught and if the material was new to you or if Roy refined material you already new.
3/28/04 11:03 PM
swiftnhbfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The seminar was unbeleivably awesome!!! I took 2 private lessons and it reaffirmed the obvious. Roy is the greatest instructor in the world. No one compares.
3/29/04 12:03 AM
twinkletoesCT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-04
Modern Self-Defense Center
That seminar totally rocked! Kevin, it was great to meet you (I am 5 feet 9 and 1/2 inches, and currently weight a *hulking* 160). :-) Fortunately, it was clear skies all the way back to CT today! Dan, it was great to see you again. I will email you my address for that vid. For those that missed this seminar, you'd better hit the next ones, because they are getting better every time! ~TT
3/29/04 6:34 AM
Kevin Curtis

Hi Eel, Roy taught a limited number of escapes. I had seen them before, but the details and timing are where it's at. However, there was one technique I don't recall seeing before... the shrimp to the curly shuffle... which I plan to work on! Mr Harris said he preferred to focus on teaching a limited number of interlinked techniques in order to give the attendees usable skills. -Kev
3/29/04 5:36 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The seminar in Erie, PA went very well. On saturday, there were 24 people. On Sunday, there were twelve. The focus of the seminar was on side mount escapes and guard control and attacking. I prefer to teach a limited number of techniques at each seminar. Why? Because I can teach depth. I have sometimes heard some students talk about how they learned 60, 80 or even 100 techniques at this person's seminar. And while that number sounds impressive, from a teaching standpoint, it is the best way to entertain students and not really show them much value. I prefer to leave my seminar students with a sense of accompmlishment. I want my seminar attendees to get something out of the seminar, as well as take something home with them that they will remember next month and next week. That's why I have a very specific teaching methodology at seminars. The escapes taught at the seminar are escapes that many have seen before. What people have not see are how to train them with respect to timing and with respect to other related topics. Good training to all of you, Roy Harris
3/29/04 8:35 PM
twinkletoesCT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy as it sounds, some of us are after that "repeatable skill" that Mr. Harris offers. Kevin, I'm glad I'm not the only one who calls that move "the reverse curly." But that move fixed a BIG mistake I was making with one of my escapes! Time to go train it! Woowoowoowoowooowooowooowooowooowoowooowooowooowooowooowoowooowoowooowooowooowooowooowooowooowoowooowoowooowooowooowooowoowoowoooowooowooowoowooowoowooowoo!
3/29/04 9:29 PM
Roy Harris

twinkletoes, Ah..... you remembered "repeatable skill"........very good grasshopper! Many forget this phrase.......and unfortunately embrace the "Euhoria of learning." Roy
3/29/04 9:47 PM
twinkletoesCT

I'm after the euphoria of longterm buttkickin' ability. That means I want consistently repeatable efficient skill! Woo! ~TT
3/29/04 11:22 PM
Adam LaClair

ImposeYourWill.com

"That means I want consistently repeatable efficient skill!"

I am 100% with you on that one, Twinkletoes!!!!!!!!!!

Adam

4/2/04 2:11 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 02-Apr-04
Chris, Adam, Kyle, Dan, Kevin and Seamus, I want you guys to do something for me. I want you to practice the elevator sweep technique from the guard 500 times on each side. When you make a personal discovery along the way, I want you to write it down. I also want you to write down any questions or difficulties you have. I request that you try to accomplish this before the seminar in Vermont in two weeks. You will see why when I see you at the seminar. I will go over something different with you guys than what I will teach everyone else at the seminar. You will need to have a handle on the elevator sweep to accomplish what I am going to show you. Now, I know all of you know this technique. However, I will need you to have a minimal skill with it before we go over the additional info. Let me know when you read this post. Roy Harris P.S. You are going to love the new info! P.S.S. Oops, I almost forgot. Make sure to bring your gi. You will need it!
4/2/04 2:26 PM
twinkletoesCT

Seen it, read it, will do it pronto! Woohoo! ~TT
4/2/04 2:31 PM
kyles

Hi Roy, When you say "elevator sweep", you are referring to the basic sweep from butterfly guard, correct? With no resistance from my training partner? What kind of arm control or doesn't it matter? - Kyle
4/2/04 2:37 PM
twinkletoesCT

There is a "textbook" version of it shown in BJJ 201 starting from the closed guard....that one, maybe? ~TT
4/2/04 2:40 PM
kyles

Could be, but I don't know for sure. If I'm doing 1000 reps of something, I'm gonna make darn sure it's the right something :) - Kyle
4/2/04 2:41 PM
twinkletoesCT

HAHAHA that's just what I was thinking..... ...guess we'll have to do them ALL! :-) (We were going to have to do them ANYways.....) ~TT
4/2/04 2:44 PM
Roy Harris

Any version of the elevator sweep will do. The main point of the sweep is the hooking of the foot, the placement of your knee and the pulling of the opponent's body. Roy Harris
4/2/04 2:45 PM
twinkletoesCT

sounds good!
4/2/04 7:39 PM
Adam LaClair

ImposeYourWill.com

(with Mission: Impossible music in the background)

I have chosen to accept this mission. 

:-)

Adam

4/3/04 12:19 PM
m.g
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Apr-04 12:12 PM
Roy, I must say this even though I didn't go to this seminar. I see the logic and the point behind doing a particular technique numerous times. I personally feel it is absolutely the best way to: - learn a technique. - understand a technique. - master a technique. Not only do I think mass repetition is logical it is also very very natural. I can't think of any skill, whether physical or mental, that isn't mastered through repetition whether deliberate or incidental. Not only does a person learn more about a technique when they do it alot of times they also pick up on various details concerning body position and movement as well as make specific connections as to the hows and whys. Furthermore it is the "doing" and not merely "knowing" that is the foundation as well as the "proof" of skill posession. It is when a person can actually "do" the technique or skill that they actually possess it and not just merely knowing how to do it. And the only way one can "do" a technique is "to do" it. I think it would be of some interest to others to note that others in the real world share your same philosophy even in bjj. Mario Sperry told forum member Oldfox, who spent some time training with Sperry and the Brazilian Top Team, that it is important to actually do the techniques he was teaching him numerous times. Sperry said that the discipline to actually practice and drill techniques is lost in some bjj practitioners. Sperry said that he picks four techiques each day and drills each one 100 times. Bj Penn, the so-called bjj phenom told Chris Onzuka in an interview in 2000 which is posted on www.onzuka.com, that: "training should always be with alot of drills, no matter what kind of drills" He goes on to describe training as just drilling positions. "You drill one position non stop for a long time then boom, stop grab another position, start drilling it. He says one should be sweating the whole time. Rorion made the exact same point you said in regards to teaching a few techniques verses alot in a single training session. He said that showing someone alot of techniques is a good way to impress someone but not a good way to teach them. And since his job is to teach and not impress he thinks it is better to show someone a few moves and have them drill a ndpractice them then show alot of moves that the student not only can't do but can't even remember them to do. Anyway I just felt the need to make this comment.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.