UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> teaching english in japan?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/4/06 2:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bluesquash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-06
care to elaborate on the global tesol situation? did you go to japan with a different company?
11/16/06 7:37 AM
Murakumo

Edited: 16-Nov-06
Also hoping to be out there sometime in summer. Finishing my JET application this coming week and I'll be graduating with a BA in East Asian Studies (Japan concentration) and with TESOL certification. If I make it out there, I'll post back and let you all know how it is. =)
9/30/07 2:00 AM
Groove Holmes
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Sep-07
Just in case anyone's thinking of coming to Japan and working for NOVA, don't bother with that place. They've finally gone to shit! Could save you a world of bother once you get here.
10/1/07 12:36 PM
mestregruber
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Oct-07
NOVA is closing hundreds of schools due to money woes, apparently. The JET program is clearly the way to go, if you can make the cut.
10/3/07 9:11 AM
shin2chin
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-07
Jets ok but they will put you out in the sticks. I just got a job with Geos. They got me a sweet brand new Leo Palace apartmemt in Tachikawa with discount. As people have said avoid Nova they're going under.
10/3/07 11:49 AM
havokk_15
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah JET is cushy if you don't mind being stuck in the sticks, but it's very rare to get a JET position near a city like Tokyo or Osaka.
10/3/07 1:53 PM
mestregruber
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Believe me, I know. I'm a JET coordinator by profession. ;)
10/18/07 12:11 PM
mestregruber

Edited: 18-Oct-07
Easytarget is just mad because he missed the JET gravy train.
9/23/08 11:24 AM
Magnus
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/26/08 12:44 AM
WaltJ
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easytarget, if you don't mind my asking, could you enlighten us a little as to your experience in applying?  Like what you had to do, what companies you scouted, why you were rejected, etc.  Did they tell you about anything you needed to improve upon to be accepted?

If you've already documented this, then nevermind...I'll catch up with this thread a little later.
1/13/11 11:13 PM
Renoslovakia
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

I applied for Nova and got through the first phase, but that was around the same time they started to go down and I never followed through with any of the other ESL companies.

I've recently become interested in teaching english and i'm doing my research into the companies that survived the downturn.

Anybody here have any recent experience or stories?

2/5/11 6:50 AM
Byrd

i didnt read the other pages.

but i know a guy who teaches at an island off of okinawa.
3/22/11 9:23 PM
AaronU

Are there English teaching jobs that tailor to businesses? I have 4 years of solid financial services business experience in the US and professional licenses... I was wondering if I could use this to my advantage to maybe get a better English teaching job in Japan?

(Long story short, sick of the corporate world! Looking to get back to Japan where I studied abroad in college.)
3/22/11 10:26 PM
Renoslovakia
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading about a esl chain based in Shikoku that catered towards business english. . . but i can't remember what it was called.

I'll post it if i can recall.
3/23/11 8:50 PM
The Diet Butcher
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Shikoku? Is there even much business out there? I would've thought it would've been around Tokyo/Osaka
9/28/11 2:15 PM
Sweder

How much money can you earn?
9/29/11 2:36 PM
akaioni

As someone who lived in Japan for 15 years and saw foreigners come and go, here are a few guidelines:

1. You need a 4 year degree
2. If you don't have a 4 year degree stop being stupid and lazy and get one, even general studies will suffice
2. Nova is dead
3. The large companies (like Aeon) will get you to Japan and set you up with housing
4. Don't expect to be in Osaka or Tokyo
5. You don't want Osaka and Tokyo (expensive as fuck)
6. You will make between 25k-30k a year
7. Your job will suck
8. Your hours will suck
9. You will be told not to teach private lessons on your own time, ignore this and make as much side money as you can
10. You will have hot female (adult) students and they will be very easy to have sex with
11. Avoid having sex with your students, however, feel free to go to town with their hot friends
12. As soon as you are settled in start looking for a gig with a non-chain private school with a non-douchebag owner
13. Learn to speak Japanese
14. Avoid the gaijin bubble or you will never learn Japanese
15. Find a cute and nice Japanese girlfriend (avoid the gussied up bitches with prada bags, they are the devil)
16. Spend as much time as you can with the cute and nice Japanese girlfriend and you will be speaking Japanese well within a year or two (unless you are a fucking moron)
17. Avoid drinking or you will be poor
18. Get your own apartment and use your cute and nice girlfriend as the guarantor
19. Avoid teaching kids classes unless you really like kids
20. Japanese kids are fucking nuts these days
21. Ahhh! Nihongo Jouzu! is not a realistic assessment of your Japanese abilities. It is gaijin monkey praise.
22. Gaijin females are the biggest cock blocks on the planet
23. Don't be into anime. Otaku = no pussy in Japan either
24. Don't go to Jusco/Aeon or whatever department store is nearest to you and start buying the stupid ass clothes young Japanese guys are wearing.
25. Looking and dressing American will get you laid. The nail that sticks up gets to bang many ladies.
25. SMAP sucks.
26. Inaka life is good, unless it is really, really inaka
27. When you get the chicken wrap at KFC, say "nori nashi"
28. Nori ruins the chicken wrap at KFC
29. McDonalds is better in Japan
30. There are many hot ladies working at McDonalds in Japan
31. Those ladies can provide you with sex and burgers
32. Mos Burger is fucking excellent, especially the teriyaki burger
33. Japanese girls do not have horizontal vaginas
34. She isn't crying, they just make noises like that
35. Australians are crazy and there are lots of them
36. Australian girls are not cock blocks, they should be cock targets, even the kind of ugly/chubby ones are awesome in the sack
37. Learn judo
39. Go to a "soapland" at least once
38. Fried chicken cheese curry rice is awesome
39. Quayle eggs in ramen will make you sick
40. Get a rail pass and travel all over Japan
41. Marry the cute and nice Japanese girlfriend
9/29/11 10:24 PM
The Diet Butcher
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ great post, but watch your mouth about SMAP!
9/30/11 9:42 AM
akaioni

SMAP sucks but they're not as gay as GLAY
10/6/11 3:00 AM
mestregruber

akaioni - As someone who lived in Japan for 15 years and saw foreigners come and go, here are a few guidelines:

2. If you don't have a 4 year degree stop being stupid and lazy and get one, even general studies will suffice
2. Nova is dead
3. The large companies (like Aeon) will get you to Japan and set you up with housing
7. Your job will suck
8. Your hours will suck
9. You will be told not to teach private lessons on your own time, ignore this and make as much side money as you can
10. You will have hot female (adult) students and they will be very easy to have sex with
11. Avoid having sex with your students, however, feel free to go to town with their hot friends
12. As soon as you are settled in start looking for a gig with a non-chain private school with a non-douchebag owner
15. Find a cute and nice Japanese girlfriend (avoid the gussied up bitches with prada bags, they are the devil)
16. Spend as much time as you can with the cute and nice Japanese girlfriend and you will be speaking Japanese well within a year or two (unless you are a fucking moron)
18. Get your own apartment and use your cute and nice girlfriend as the guarantor
21. Ahhh! Nihongo Jouzu! is not a realistic assessment of your Japanese abilities. It is gaijin monkey praise.
24. Don't go to Jusco/Aeon or whatever department store is nearest to you and start buying the stupid ass clothes young Japanese guys are wearing.
25. Looking and dressing American will get you laid. The nail that sticks up gets to bang many ladies.
25. SMAP sucks.
36. Australian girls are not cock blocks, they should be cock targets, even the kind of ugly/chubby ones are awesome in the sack
37. Learn judo

Holy fucking TRUTH
10/12/11 2:47 AM
ChillyWilly

It's fairly easy to score a job here as a English teacher.
I know/knew many people who are not native English speakers who where teaching English as ALT in High Schools without a degree. Guys with horrible hardcore French, Italian, Eastern European accents, some to dumb to count to three but they made it somehow.
There are always plenty of adds but as akaioni said, you will end up with some douchebag owner and a shitty salary but hey, you are in Japan!
If you just like to come here and train for a while and bang some chicks the eikawa route is the way to go but if you are really like to have a nice life, do yourself a favor and get a REAL job or stay at home. Except a handful owners of English schools I never met any teacher who had a great car, house or whatever. Most of them are a bunch of loosers who are in their 30s and still can't take their gfs anywhere else than McDonalds for dinner.
10/12/11 2:50 AM
ChillyWilly

I should mention that if you are black it will be even way more difficult to land a job here.
10/14/11 1:14 PM
akaioni

or Asian (of the non-Japanese variety)...
10/16/11 12:26 PM
xCook

akaioni - As someone who lived in Japan for 15 years and saw foreigners come and go, here are a few guidelines:

2. Nova is dead
7. Your job will suck
8. Your hours will suck
25. SMAP sucks.
37. Learn judo
so fucking funny and true!

12/2/11 5:09 PM
KimuraKing

JUst got to Shimokitazawa two days ago. The job hunt strats monday. Anybody have any leads?

Also, I am GAijin friendless out here and if any UG members want to meet for a beer message me and we can hook up and debate who will win the MAchida Jones fight lol

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.