UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> teaching english in japan?

5/22/06 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
havokk_15
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-May-06
"of course I know a lot of students and Japanese workers who have struggle to make ends meet but those guys are getting way less than the 250,000 average for conversation school instructors." I agree. The fukkin manager at my last school was making 30 000 a month less than I was and working 11 hour days. 250 000/month is not bad at all, especially for most teachers who are basically fresh out of University and holding down their first full-time job. Not a bad wage for a couple of years getting to experience another country and travel at the same time. Like I've said earlier, I've been able to make trips to Saipan, Hong Kong, and Korea, travel home to Canada, and save 50 000 a month while making about around 270 000/month for the last year. Plus, I basically eat out for every meal and go out drinking at least once a week.
6/2/06 8:40 PM
Bof'njangles
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jun-06
lots of great info, keep it up - I'll be going prob in August, September at the latest
6/3/06 11:11 PM
Bof'njangles
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jun-06
Kimbo's Bread - for teaching - it will be with Global TESOL that I get my training in July and then I will be out there as I said, likely in August/September-
6/5/06 2:35 PM
Bof'njangles

Edited: 05-Jun-06
ttt
7/19/06 2:21 PM
Bof'njangles

Edited: 19-Jul-06
Correction: I will not be going through Global TESOL and I wouldn't recommend anyone else do so, either!
11/4/06 2:18 PM
bluesquash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-06
care to elaborate on the global tesol situation? did you go to japan with a different company?
11/16/06 7:37 AM
Murakumo

Edited: 16-Nov-06
Also hoping to be out there sometime in summer. Finishing my JET application this coming week and I'll be graduating with a BA in East Asian Studies (Japan concentration) and with TESOL certification. If I make it out there, I'll post back and let you all know how it is. =)
9/30/07 2:00 AM
Groove Holmes
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Sep-07
Just in case anyone's thinking of coming to Japan and working for NOVA, don't bother with that place. They've finally gone to shit! Could save you a world of bother once you get here.
10/1/07 12:36 PM
mestregruber
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Oct-07
NOVA is closing hundreds of schools due to money woes, apparently. The JET program is clearly the way to go, if you can make the cut.
10/3/07 9:11 AM
shin2chin
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-07
Jets ok but they will put you out in the sticks. I just got a job with Geos. They got me a sweet brand new Leo Palace apartmemt in Tachikawa with discount. As people have said avoid Nova they're going under.
10/3/07 11:49 AM
havokk_15
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah JET is cushy if you don't mind being stuck in the sticks, but it's very rare to get a JET position near a city like Tokyo or Osaka.
10/3/07 1:53 PM
mestregruber
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Believe me, I know. I'm a JET coordinator by profession. ;)
10/18/07 5:31 AM
Easytarget
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Oct-07
Don't go JET, those guys act all high and mighty and call each other "jets". When they gather they add numbers to their names to avoid confusion.. Hey Jet #1, hi Jet #2...etc It gets kinda crazy.
10/18/07 12:11 PM
mestregruber

Edited: 18-Oct-07
Easytarget is just mad because he missed the JET gravy train.
10/20/07 1:28 AM
Easytarget
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-07
Well they refused my application but i didnt want to go anyway, so there. I joined the mormons instead, we get great helmets...
9/23/08 11:24 AM
Magnus

ttt
10/26/08 12:44 AM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easytarget, if you don't mind my asking, could you enlighten us a little as to your experience in applying?  Like what you had to do, what companies you scouted, why you were rejected, etc.  Did they tell you about anything you needed to improve upon to be accepted?

If you've already documented this, then nevermind...I'll catch up with this thread a little later.
11/19/08 6:06 AM
Easytarget

Hey WaltJ

Just noticed this, i was joking i have never applied for JET. I did dowload the application about 11 years ago though...

Mestregruber is the man with the JET knowledge..

Any questions about companies , universities or ekaiwa i can answer i guess, having experience in each.
1/13/11 11:13 PM
Renoslovakia
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

I applied for Nova and got through the first phase, but that was around the same time they started to go down and I never followed through with any of the other ESL companies.

I've recently become interested in teaching english and i'm doing my research into the companies that survived the downturn.

Anybody here have any recent experience or stories?

1/14/11 7:58 PM
Easytarget

My knowledge is up to date. Things remain the same, a little better for company classes as the economy improves.

Aeon and ECC remain the 2 bigger chains that expanding. Gabba also seems to be growing.

Check Gaijinpot for jobs also Ohayosensei.

Salary at Eikaiwa remains about 230 - 250'000 a month.

There is definitely more work at Elementary schools, through dipsatch companies. The salary is similar to Eikaiwa but it seems there is a bigger and growing demand for this kind of teacher.
2/5/11 6:50 AM
Byrd

i didnt read the other pages.

but i know a guy who teaches at an island off of okinawa.
3/22/11 9:23 PM
AaronU

Are there English teaching jobs that tailor to businesses? I have 4 years of solid financial services business experience in the US and professional licenses... I was wondering if I could use this to my advantage to maybe get a better English teaching job in Japan?

(Long story short, sick of the corporate world! Looking to get back to Japan where I studied abroad in college.)
3/22/11 10:26 PM
Renoslovakia
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading about a esl chain based in Shikoku that catered towards business english. . . but i can't remember what it was called.

I'll post it if i can recall.
3/23/11 8:50 PM
The Diet Butcher

In Shikoku? Is there even much business out there? I would've thought it would've been around Tokyo/Osaka
3/24/11 2:10 AM
Easytarget

AaronU

I have seen a few teaching jobs over the years looking for engineers specifically, never finance.

If you have a graduate degree you may find something at the tertiary level. This link is pretty good for that.

http://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop?ln=1

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.