UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Back from Manila...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/9/04 7:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Mar-04

I just got back from training in Manila...............whew! Man, what a trip. The training I received this time was.......well, indescribable! Mang Romy Macapagal and Mang Tony Diego spoiled me on Monday. They spent nine hours training me! That's right...........for nine solid hours, I had two Kalis Ilustrisimo Masters training me. The two of them taught me ina tag team effort. When Mang Tony finished teaching me a series of techniques or drills, Mang Romy picked up and went into greater detail. When Mang Romy finished teaching me the subtle nuances of Kalis Ilustrisimo, Mang Tony jumped in and continued teaching. He picked up where he left off. Those were nine of the most memorable hours I have ever spent on this earth! I have a lot more to write on my experience, but I have to get busy with work. I will also begin asnwering a ton of e-mails this week. So, if you haven't heard from me in awhile, give me a week or so. I plan on writing a book in e-mails this next week ! ) Roy Harris
3/9/04 7:11 PM
Croft
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Welcome back!
3/9/04 8:48 PM
twinkletoesCT
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
Wowwwowowowowoww..... Glad you had a safe trip! ~TT
3/10/04 1:13 AM
Adam LaClair
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Mar-04
ImposeYourWill.com

Welcome home, Roy.  Great to have you back, and I can't wait to hear all the details of the trip!!

Adam

3/10/04 2:18 AM
beauregard

Welcome home Roy. I'm glad to hear that you had a great trip. See you in April in Vermont. Seamus
3/10/04 3:39 AM
wattaguy

Sir, How long did you stay in Manila? Did you get to see Rom or was he really busy with work?
3/10/04 10:58 AM
terryr

Hi Roy, Welcome back. You must have a couple hundred (if not thousand?) emails by now, a few of them are mine,( I didn't know you were out of the country.... I usually get a quick reply from you) I wanted to know about my order# 2309, I never received the takedown from the knees tape that was to be sent out the week of Feb 9th, could you check if it was sent. Also did you get the replacement collar chokes tapes yet? Thanks Terry
3/10/04 3:16 PM
zen writer

roy out of curiousity...what is the climate lik eover there? Bearable or really really hot/humid?
3/11/04 2:28 AM
wattaguy

Edited: 11-Mar-04
Hot and humid. Its tropical climate year round. You'll be perspiring a lot. Here in the US, its relatively dry but I'm getting used to the weather. Better weather overall in Cali.
3/11/04 3:28 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wattaguy, I was in Manila for three days. Yes, yes, I know it wasa short trip considering that 18 to 21 hours is spent on a plane or in an airport. However, I went there to train with Mang Romy and Mang Tony again, as well as visit with them. I only got a chance to visit with Rom for part of a day. He is so busy with his new job! In your last post, you said "Here in the US, its relatively dry but I'm getting used to the weather." I will wait for your "redefined response" after you have spent your summer in the mid west or some of our southern and eastern US cities. Yes, southern California can be viewed as fairly dry in comparison to Manila. However, when you head to the eastern and southern states, and have personally felt their hot, humid, sticky and mosquito/gnat infested summers, I think you will discover that certain parts of the US are almost as bad as Manila. When you have the time and the money, I encourage you to get out and tour the US. I promise you that you will get an eye opening experience (especially if you visit the non-touristy areas)! I have travelled all across this country and have expereinced some pretty interesting and diverse people, cultures and lifestyles. I have been to places where the streets still do not have names, places where there is no running water, places where the city only has three television stations and two radio stations. I once visited a city that did not have ATM's as of 1999. I have been to places where you can mail a letter in the following manner: Richard Johnson, Elsie, Nebraska, 69134. Several years ago, I worked at a home that costed 36 million dollar in San Diego. The drive had expensive marble on it! (Think about that. A driveway with expensive marble on it. What purpose could marble actually serve on a driveway?) I've sat and talked with elder Native American women about living off the land and learning to live amongst the "white man." I've sat and listened to elder African Americans talk about their grandparents who were slaves. I even remember listening to my grandmother talk about how her African grandparents were "Fresh off the Boat" (If you know what I mean). I grew up with "Ole and Sven" jokes in Minnesota, but did not really understand them until I had spent some time in Sweden and Norway. America is a diverse land. Once you travel around the states, you will see how different our climates, cultures, attitudes and ethnicities are. Once you experience the east coast (Florida to the New England states), the west coast (California to Washington), the south and southeast (Texas on through to Kentucky), the mid-west (Iowa, Illinois, Missouri and surrounding states) and the northeast (Idaho and surrounding states), you will definitely have a new outlook on the United States of America. I do have one question for you though: Have you travelled much around the Philippine Islands or surrounding countries? And if so, what were your observations? I am curious to hear what you have to say. Talk to you soon, Roy Harris
3/11/04 11:08 PM
zen writer

I remember a summer in New York where you could not stand outside for more than 30 seconds..('96 or '97) It was vicious! It was 100+ degrees and it felt like inhaling poison gas! It was even worse than FLorida and Georgia at their worst!
3/12/04 5:20 AM
wattaguy

Edited: 12-Mar-04
Sir, I'm a mountaineer and adventurer. Been to places in the philippines where lifestyle was literally comparable to the stone ages. Went to some areas where there is no electricity, phones and TVs are unheard of. What makes all these worthwhile is the spectacular view of the countryside and the beaches. I've gone spelunking (cave explorations), mountaineering, white water rafting, sailing, surfing, etc. I've climbed 95% of all the major mountains back home. For those of you who have watched The Beach, that beach they featured there (shot in Thailand) is nothing compared to some of the beaches our outdoor/exploration group have discovered back home. People in these places live similarly to those Indians you usually see on TV. Anyway, I'll be going to Yosemite Park this month to check out some views. I'm a nature lover and outdoor adventures are my thing.
3/12/04 10:46 PM
m.g
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Mar-04
Good thread, excellent read. I am fascinated by cultures, lifestyles, environments, languages and overall social setting. I think these greatly affect the things we do including the activities we participate including the martial arts. This is why I like to read the profiles and background of people (I have a thing for biographies in general) involved in the martial arts such as Bjj, judo, boxing and even escrima. You get so much more insight and understanding as to why the person does the things they do or why their style is the way it is.
3/16/04 12:29 PM
Bob&Weave

Edited: 16-Mar-04
I´d be very careful where I´d go in the PI. Kidnapping for ransom is big business over there.
3/16/04 10:24 PM
wattaguy

Edited: 16-Mar-04
Yes it may be, but no way in hell they'll kidnap Americans. You guys are virtually untouchable there to syndicates and politicians who engage in these activities. They'd never piss Uncle Sam off. You'll get better treatment from the Police than normal citizens. Be careful going to the South though because of the Abu Sayaf terrorist group. But Northern Philippines is relatively safe for Americans.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.