UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Anyone study to Hsing I ?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/31/04 9:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tjmitch
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-04
alright, after some more work with this, I am starting to see how it can generate some power. The coordination of the movments is still kind of difficult for me, but I am starting to see it. Also, some of the applications fit in well with what I already do. The diamond stepping is similar to some of the movements from kali.
4/1/04 12:10 PM
VBrown
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Apr-04
tinker with the stepping. Instead of 45 degrees, try 60. And mess with your level just a little bit. Sinking just 4-6 inches and then rising out of it can open up a number of options. You may want to try just doing some of the element forms one sided. Pick your "off" side and just do that side element while moving forward. Try just that side, just that element daily for a week or two and then do the whole form. There is a wide array of things you can be training with the same form. That's one reason why I dig it so much. Power, timing, distancing, movement...whatever you need to work it has the tools in there, you just have to take them out and play with them. FWIW, Vince
4/16/04 4:40 PM
tjmitch
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Apr-04
An update on the hsing I training... I am slowly startig to get the coordination down. I have been trying to use some of the techniques in regular open sparring with some success. It seems to me to be more of an "inside" kind of thing. When I ahve attempted to brdige the gap I have had no success( unless you count eating a bunch of punches as a success) but one I am in contact with my partner( sort of trapping range) I have made use of some of the hsing I and it seems to drive him back when I time it well. Last night my buddy hit me with ..shit cant remember the name right now...any way the one where your lead hand is sort of high almost like a roof block and the rear hand is srtiking. He got real good and I felt it. Anyway, just figured I would update .
4/21/04 4:13 PM
VBrown

Edited: 21-Apr-04
tjmitch, Closing the distance is a little tricky until you commit to the method. xingyi is a close in art and if you're used to a long frame system, it will be hard. The rising portion of pi chuan is really handy for shearing away his attacks and you step in deep. Think about making whole body contact...from shin to forehead. Drive thru him at his triangle point. If you take his structure and replace it with yours, you're running the show. Think of striking with the shoulders, elbows, head. Only hit him with the hands when he's falling faster than you can chase him. He should feel like he's fighting a runaway cement truck, not a boxer. And have fun with it. Don't worry about eating a few hits. Just choose the target for him...take the hits on the arms, top of the head, etc. Folks get spooked when they throw their best and you just run over them. Heh. Hope it helps, Vince
4/22/04 2:42 AM
ifidieidie

Edited: 22-Apr-04
Vince and others, In the rising portion of pi chuan, do you drive it straight up from the waist sort of like an uppercut? Or do you raise it up high while your fist is still close to your body and then bring it more down like a backfist? I've seen it taught both ways. Thanks.
4/22/04 9:25 AM
H2ODragon

"Drive thru him at his triangle point. If you take his structure and replace it with yours, you're running the show." VBrown just created the 13th animal form. It is called the Correctapillar.
4/22/04 8:09 PM
VBrown

I've learned the rising portion both ways too. I prefer the close in version as my bridge and let my splitting to the heavy work. I have used the longer version with mixed success (65/35) to sort of shear over the top of jabs with boxer-types (not actaual boxers. For that I stay tight) It's just picking the right tool for the job. "Correctapillar"...I think I'll have that tattooed! As dumb as it sounds, the more I learn about xingyi, the more it goes back to the footwork. It's your feet that get you out of trouble or put you where you can put the hurt on. "Quit thinking with your hands"....why didn't I listen 10 years ago????? V
4/23/04 12:19 AM
H2ODragon

Edited: 23-Apr-04
"Quit thinking with your hands" Wow. That is one of the best quotes I have heard in a long time. I need to keep this one on mind.
4/25/04 2:15 PM
Andes

Edited: 25-Apr-04
tjmitch, there's a tom bisio student teaching in Orange county, NY out of a church. don't have his contact info off hand but if you contact tom bisio i'm sure he'll help you. i've been doin hsing-i for bout 7 years and think it's great
4/27/04 7:13 PM
SchillingsSchmegma

Edited: 27-Apr-04
Andes, isnt Tom Bisio a GT Leo Gage guy from back in the day?
4/28/04 2:29 PM
e. kaye

Edited: 28-Apr-04
Yes he is.
4/28/04 8:43 PM
SchillingsSchmegma

Edited: 28-Apr-04
do you have any more info that that for me to go on? I searched and couldnt find anything.
5/22/04 1:00 PM
Lance Havock

Edited: 22-May-04
Pi chuan is prolly one of my fav's from xing-yi, that and ward off both are effective and do not require a bunch of variables.
6/10/04 4:16 AM
gakami

Edited: 10-Jun-04
I will probably get flamed here but I did hsing-i kung fu for a short 3 month stint. It was a hectic time for me in my family life though, everything was falling apart so I stopped going to hsing-i training. But anyway in those 3 months of training, most of what we did (because I was a beginner) concerned mediation, and basic hsing-i stance exercises which focused on developing what you've all heard - "chi". To tell you the truth, by the end of the 3 months, I was beginning to be able to feel this chi running through my body. When in the stance (70 -30) with my arms out in front of me in ready position, I could "feel" the instructor at least 20 feet in front of me. And I could definitely feel the energy flowing through the "dan tien". Take it or leave it, that was my experience with hsing-i.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.