UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> What has TMA done for you?

12/1/04 3:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wvchamp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Dec-04
kept me alive
12/13/04 11:29 AM
wvchamp

Edited: 13-Dec-04
shit if you didnt learn any self-defense thats you own fault. most people crying about tma couldnt make it past yellow belt cuz they couldnt handle it. yes muay thai and bjj and awesome kick ass styles cuz i now do both of them. but not everyone has the physical ability to do muay thai and bjj which both take. not evryone is a pro fighter. but the old kick em in the shin knee em in the face and elbow in back of the head works for just about anybody. btw you dont look tough putting other people down you just look jealous
12/13/04 12:26 PM
Dark Knight
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Dec-04
"I have a big problem with people who recommend TMA as an effective means of street self-defense. The UFC has clearly shown that a fighter is best equipped by knowing something like Muay Thai AND BJJ. Anyone who says different is fooling themselves and attempting to fool others." Look at a system like Parker Kenpo. Ed Parker developed the style based on his experiences fighting in the street. He took out a lot of the grabing and throws from the style. Only a small percentage of his style is from the Kenpo he was taught. Now you have a system that is primarily standup and striking. The reason it was effective was because the untrained fighter is easy to beat if you train. Also how many grapplers are starting fights. Back when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's boxing was self defense. Thats because you had training and no one was doing takdowns. "How many stories and facts do you TMA need to see before you give it up?" Take a guy, train him in a traditional style, sparring, weight training and fights often. He will be capable in self defense in the street. "The UFC has clearly shown that a fighter is best equipped by knowing something like Muay Thai AND BJJ." For UFC, Def ready for street fights, but is TMA useless?
12/20/04 6:07 PM
Bunkou

Edited: 20-Dec-04
"How many stories and facts do you TMA need to see before you give it up?" Haven't seen any stories or facts. Actually, I have a rather large collection of news stories of people successfully using TMA against multiple attackers, home intruders, rapists, car-jackers, you name it. I'm quite comfortable with TMA being advertised as useful for self-defense (when taught correctly). On the other hand, great kickboxers, MMA fighters, and BJJ people have been beat up, stabbed, and even killed in attacks. I know that same has happened to TMA stylists, but why ignore that one and not the other?
12/26/04 12:07 AM
TheJET
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Dec-04
David Vieira BJJ / Tampa CombaT

I second the motion for a website dedicated to "Karate-Moms".  Why should soccer Moms get all the credit? 

In my 14 years, some of the best women I've ever seen were somehow affiliated with the dojo.

1/6/05 3:04 PM
Outkaster
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jan-05
"While I was studying TKD I was never encourage to try other martial arts. The instructor made me feel as this was disresctfull. I have to point out that I was involved in one of the top TKD schools in the country with one of the best TKD masters. People ans schools will go un-named here.. The instructors were great kickers but could not throw a punch to save their life. When I joined the school I was told that I would learn self defence. Yes, I did learn some but I have learned a lot more in a fraction of the time with Muay Thai. I am not saying that Muay Thai is better than TKD what I am saying is that TKD as a whole will not teach you effective self defence in a reasonable amount of time. I believe that TKD is good for children and for people who want to get in shape. Not for people who would ever consider MMA or a effective way to defend themselves." That is kind of how I feel. Sometimes it is a hard pill to swallow. I have started Judo and kickboxing in the last few years so I feel more comfortable. If you are a good ITF TFD striker you can do some damage. All is not bad with the art.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.