UnderGround Forums

On The Fridge >> Art = no practical value?

3/16/04 11:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FudoMyoo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Mar-04 11:39 AM

The following quote is from crescentwrench on a discussion about Hybrid Animals on PhilosophyGround:

"I really don't see anything but self aggrandizing and pretentiousness in art.  I mean, what practical value does art have?  You can't pull a plow with a Picasso.  A nice Rembrandt tastes horrible. "

imo, it sounds abit arrogant and ill-informed, but I´m not really an art-expert.

How would you respond to his attitude and words here?

3/16/04 2:52 PM
eviladam
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Mar-04
art provides intellectual stimulation.
3/17/04 5:34 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 17-Mar-04
if I take the role of the Debils advocate here, he is probaly gonna respond with something like -Can you measure that or prove that in some way?
3/19/04 1:32 AM
JimmyG
670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Mar-04
The fact that works on an individual level and has existed since 40.000 years ago means it has value. 40.000 years can't be wrong.
3/19/04 9:35 AM
FudoMyoo

how long has the pinky-toe existed?

(keeps playing my role)

3/19/04 1:13 PM
JimmyG
670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Art is growing daily, pinky toe is dwidling. It's an atavistic trait and one we do not choose. I dunno about you bitches, but I use my pinky toe.
3/19/04 1:42 PM
FudoMyoo

lol
12/20/06 1:05 AM
RamK
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Dec-06
Art is what you define it as. It provides a more powerful form of expression, as an example, sometimes they can motivate people: "these are the times that try mens souls"
3/30/07 9:45 AM
WilliamOfOckham

Edited: 30-Mar-07 08:50 AM
4/19/07 4:03 AM
ShotToThePills

Edited: 19-Apr-07
Art can't pull the plow, but ou can inspire someone to get the plow pulled. Think about the commercial in the 70's about pollution (with the indian crying). That started the modern environmentalism movement almost by itself.
4/4/08 3:44 PM
TheMeatyLegend

Edited: Apr 4 2008 12:00A
It is a great supplement to ones education. Creativity is the cornerstone of problem solving and is a form of communication. The more you develop your creative problem solving and communication skills the better off you are regardless of what you do.
4/30/08 11:02 AM
Pretjah
691 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A

art stimulates the emotional aspect of our mind...in a qualitative form...as opposed to a quantitative way.

science, religion etc stimulates our intellectual mind in a quantitave way

much the way athletics stimulates our body in a quantitative way as opposed to sex or dancing stimulats our physical body in a qualitative way.

10/23/08 10:02 PM
FastAndBulbous

Art is communication, which means that it allows you to see things the way someone else sees them and to think someone else's thoughts.
6/9/09 12:20 AM
RedDragonUK
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Art is the universal glue that binds us together.
8/27/09 1:49 PM
Mr B
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still kinda wrestle with this and it's probably why I haven't continued artistic pursuits (I have an art degree).

I've always been very pragmatic and such, and even though I was interested in art (obviously) I also got to a point where I felt it didn't have much practical value. Which is why I went into graphic design (advertising) for several years. That's even fallen by the wayside.

Now...I still have urges to "create" something, but if I can't see a tangible purpose for it...I just don't. =-(
8/30/10 9:56 PM
RedDragonUK
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do it because you enjoy it.

On this planet there are wars going on and people fighting etc, the one thing we all have in common, the one thing we can all appreciate is ART. If you want practical uses, then do art therapy, murals in ghettos bring kids together and stop violence, art is used in hospitals to bring a happier atmosphere to patients and escape if you will.

You can get lost in a piece of art not many other mediums have that quality.
9/5/10 9:56 AM
nostripewhite

People overthink shit.

Do what you enjoy, you'll be dead someday.
5/7/11 2:57 AM
ribz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Words don't do anything either. They just sit there in books, doing nothing.
5/10/11 7:54 AM
FastAndBulbous

A talent is something you're naturally good at. Talent can be refined into a skill, with education and practice.

The more skilled you are, the more closely your final product will resemble what you envisioned in your mind.

When you use a skill to communicate, it's art. The quality of the art depends on how skilled you are, and what you're communicating.
5/10/11 8:36 AM
FastAndBulbous

So when you communicate with a skilled form of expression such as poetry, prose, music, painting, or film, you can communicate things that cannot be expressed in any other way.

It's a more direct form of communication compared to everyday language, using meaningful symbols to transfer thoughts from the mind of the artist to the mind of the audience.

Sharing the human condition through art allows us to understand ourselves and one another more fully. It also allows us vicarious experiences - to see what the artist has seen and feel what the artist has felt.

Movies and books and songs and art allow us to see more than we would otherwise be able to see in a normal lifespan. Art allows us to absorb a superhuman amount of memories and experiences in a way our minds can process.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.