UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Karate styles

9/16/08 12:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anek
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a Goju dojo near where I live, owned by a sixth dan, that does irikumi and traditional Goju strength training. After reading your posts I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks.
12/28/08 1:23 PM
oblongo
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone ever done Chun Kuk Do or Benny Urquidez's style (ukidoan?)?

How do they compare to traditional forms of karate in terms of sparring, kata and amount of grappling they contain?

Is Chuk Kuk Do very different from the tang soo do that Chuck Norris started out in?
12/28/08 3:39 PM
Dark Knight
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Has anyone ever done Chun Kuk Do or Benny Urquidez's style (ukidoan?)?"

He was a full contact kickboxing champion. he based his style on his fighting experience.

Its hard to tell a champion like that his style isnt good.
12/29/08 10:44 PM
oblongo
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KyokushinCatch - Trained at Benny Urquidez's "Jet Center" in Van Nuys, CA before the Northridge earthquake condemned it. There was class instruction, open, and personal training offered. After warm-ups, the classes often started off like typical Karate schools (punching/kicking air), except that kickboxing techniques were used. These were follwed by mitt or heavy bag work, then (usually) sparring. Classes were taught by Benny Urquidez, Reuben Urquidez, or "Blinky" Rodrigues. Also got to train with Lily Rodrigues and Pete "Sugarfoot" Cunningham. Very good "Jet-style" kickboxing training.

Never trained in Chun Kuk Do.

Thanks. Sounds like good stuff.
5/9/09 1:29 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back to Kyokushin for me. Joined the IKO1(?) under Shihan Gorai. I'm still a beginner, though. Stayed away because judo was my primary until back surgery. Good to be back though.

KC, are there any Kyokushin organizations in the Houston area? I may relocate there by next year. Oh, and have a tips for a newb for learning the katas? Very overwhelming. Lots of movements.
5/9/09 6:23 PM
Kolsyrade
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are there any Kyokushin organizations in the Houston area? I may relocate there by next year. Oh, and have a tips for a newb for learning the katas? Very overwhelming. Lots of movements.

AKKO (american kyokushin karate organization) has a dojo in Huston.
http://www.akko.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=42

But AKKO is the most shady kyokushin faction around, with a rep of allowing the standard to slip here and there. And the guy running the huston dojo looks more like McDojo than the real thing to me. It might still be good, but prepare for the worst.

But there is also a world Oyama karate dojo in huston.
World Oyama karate is a good kyokushin offshot, and as close to kyokushin as you can get. There is a couple of katas that differs, and that is about it.
http://www.dojo-nation.com/Directory/karate/Texas/Houston/1420/OyamaKarate.htm

There might be other organizations there too, but Knockdown karate dojos are not all that common in the US.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.