UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Late March update...

3/20/04 7:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-04

Whew..............what a day Friday, March 19 was! I taught eleven private lessons in twelve hours. I got a 45 minute break for what I thought was going to be lunch and picking my car up from the mechanics place. However, it ended up being a 44 minute wait for me to pick up my car. So, unfortunately, I did not get my lunch until much later. Eleven people took advantage of the $50 for 50 minutes of instruction private lesson offer I had this past week. People came from all over southern California and from other schools as well. I had a lot of fun teaching these privates. However, I must tell you that I am pretty beat up from all those privates. I was scheduled to attend Ray Floro's Kalis Ilustrisimo seminar this morning. However, I woke up with a fever, chills and a sore throat. I think one of the eleven gave me a bug or something. I hope I am able to teach the edged weapon seminar on Sunday morning (March 21). Now, on top of all the flu symptoms, my knees are quite sore this morning. It seems that many of those who took privates wanted to work on techniques from their back. So, that meant I had to do everything from my knees :rolleyes: Well, I definitely feel 42 this morning. I am beat up and coughing up my lungs. The good news is this: A) I will be hiring a personal assistant very soon. This person will help me catch up on stuff and stay current! B) I will be hiring another cleaning service to help me keep the academy clean. The previous cleaners took me for $850 and disappeared off the face of the earth. C) In the next couple of months, I will be having some work done to the academy. The floor in the training area will be repainted, the floor in the bathroom will be replaced, the cabinet shelving that has been laying on the training floor since last August will be put up on the walls, the backdrops will be put on track to store them in the corner (because a few of my students cannot remember to stay off of them) D) This week, I will finally be caught up on all video orders! NOTE: For all of you who have not received your orders from January or February, please send me an e-mail with your name, address, order number and which instructionals you ordered. E-mails that simply state, "I haven't received my order" will not be answered. Yes, I know I could write back and ask for more details on your order, but I no longer have time to do that. Give me all of the info in the first e-mail and I will take care of your problem ASAP. Continued... Roy Harris
3/20/04 7:56 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-04
Well, let's see. What else is new? 1. I will be teaching a series of private lessons and a two day seminar in Erie, Pensylvania this up-coming weekend (Saturday and Sunday, March 27 and 28). 2. In April, I will begin filming for a new instructional video series (scheduled to be released in late June). 3. I will working on finishing the new German BJJ instructional by late April. 4. In early May, the new Harris International Student Training Association will kick off on RoyHarris.com. Currently, I am working on the video and text content for this section of the website. 5. On Monday, March 22, RoyHarris.com will have a major update. Thus far, I have uploaded 42 pages of content. I will have more by the time I finish uploading content on Sunday evening, March 21. (NOTE: With a couple more updates between now and summer, the new RoyHarris.com will be fast approaching 1000 + pages of information! Aren't you glad I have a search engine on my website so you can find what you are looking for in just two or three clicks?) 6. In early April, I will be traveling to the east coast to meet a friend of mine who will give me a personal tour of Quantico (http:/ /www.fbi.gov/hq/td/academy/academy.htm). I am very excited about this trip! 7. On May 1, I will teach a series of private lessons and two weekend seminars in Frankfurt, Germany. I will be there for ten days. 8. Finally, just a quick reminder to Academy students; a) we will have new academy t-shirts very soon, b) June and October are free training months, that is, if you have been a member of the academy for the previous six months, and finally, c) the student's training forum will begin next month (so if you want to be able to review some of the techniques we went over in class, you will need to sign up for this by sending me an e-mail). Well, that's about it. I am headed back to bed. Roy Harris pfs@sprintmail.com
3/21/04 9:39 AM
Croft
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Mar-04
Roy - what series are you filiming in April? BJJ 202?
3/22/04 9:52 AM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Mar-04
Modern Self-Defense Center
WOW.... I just spent an hour going through the new information, and I'm not even done yet! There is some tremendous new material up! ~TT
3/22/04 11:02 AM
99luftbalut

Yeah. When I logged-in last night and saw the "29 new articles since your last visit" bit on the front page, I cheered. My wife thinks I'm strange...
3/22/04 5:28 PM
Roy Harris

With the new content and all, RoyHarris.com now has 700+ pages of info. My goal within the next few months is to have more than 1000 pages of content. My goal by 2006 is to have over 2000 pages of content. Stay tuned! Roy Harris P.S. 99luftbalut, kindly tell your wife, "Honey, you don't unerstand. I wish you would listen to me when I tell you how Jiu Jitsu makes me FEEL." Hopefully, you won't spend the night on the coach for such a comment ! )
3/22/04 5:28 PM
AmericanShogun

Hi Roy, Thank you for all the new reading material on your site. I noticed that the video of you and Mang Romy was blocked as fee based material. I have been a member of your academy off and on for the past 4 years (never have enough time -Wife, kid, job) do you have a fee based online training organization? You used to have royharris.tv, will that be coming back? Thanks, Americanshogun Big Mike
3/22/04 6:16 PM
99luftbalut

Edited: 22-Mar-04 06:10 PM
Mr. Harris writes: "kindly tell your wife, 'Honey, you don't unerstand. I wish you would listen to me when I tell you how Jiu Jitsu makes me FEEL.'" Heheh, she knew I was strange before she married me. She doesn't make fun of me, and I don't mention all her shoes (I think there is a Filipina shoe-shopping gene or something). Like Mike, above, asked, how do we get to see that video? I can't wait. --Dave
3/24/04 1:39 PM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-04 08:26 PM
"I wish you would listen to me when I tell you how Jiu Jitsu makes me FEEL." I definitely got choked for that one. Those clips with Mang Romy Macapagal are very innnnnteresting. I have seen the 1st and 3rd techniques before from the late Prof. Remy Presas. He used to say to us, over and over, "It is all the same!" Some days I can't get over how right he was. ~TT
3/24/04 3:45 PM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 24-Mar-04
ImposeYourWill.com

Thank you for all the new content, Mr. Harris.  It has been both entertaining and educational, and of VERY great value!!

Adam

3/24/04 11:42 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 24-Mar-04
AmericanShogun and 99luftbalut, Try viewing the clips now. Let me know if you can see them. --- Twinky, You got choked for that one huh? Good for you! Did it hurt? Will you ever use it again? heh heh The Ilustrisimo method of performing their movements is all based upon the sword, more specifically, espada y daga and espada y punta. Even when training with a stick, Ilustrisimo practitioners still place their arms, hands, head and body in the same positions as if it were a sword that was being swung at their body. In Kalis Ilustrisimo, sword training has to come first. Kalis Ilustrisimo means, "The Sword of Ilustrisimo." This sword training is the only way a person will develop the feel for the positioning and distancing required to neutralize another person's movement of a sword. Although many of the movements may look similar to other movements from other systems, everything in Kalis Ilustrisimo relates back to the sword. What movements a person could get by with a stick, may not necessarily make them safe with a sword. Take the sumbrada or roof block for example. The way it is performed with a stick is entirely different than how it should be performed with a sword. The angle, body and hand placement, distancing and footwork are visibly and noticeable different! When I see you in Erie, PA at the seminar, I will show you the difference. You are coming to Erie right? If not, I can show you some other time. If you are, can you bring two swords or sticks with you? After 23 years of experience in FMA, I am having to re-educate my body with the learning of Kalis Ilustrisimo. However, I must say that I am enjoying the process! Good training to all of you, Roy Harris
3/25/04 9:03 AM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 25-Mar-04
ImposeYourWill.com

The seminar in Vermont on April 17th & 18th wasn't mentioned in the update. :-( 

Chris, if you don't make it to Erie, you can play with swords at my place after the seminar, too.  :-)

Adam

3/25/04 9:40 AM
twinkletoesCT

I will not make it to Erie next weekend, but I WILL be in Vermont and in Rochester. I will be sure to bring sticks & blades! I think it's awesome that in KI it's still all about the blade. Many of the techniques of Modern Arnis are meant to be blade techniques, but because everyone became accustomed to using sticks in training, many of that fell away in favor of cane-heavy variations and techniques. I know that in his later years, Prof. Presas also became reluctant to show bladework because he was concerned about having his name associated with lethal techniques, especially since he was teaching seminars over 40 weekends out of the year! I really look forward to seeing more KI. It is efficient and to-the-point (ha). I can't ask for more! ~TT
3/25/04 12:21 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be in Erie Saturday... anybone else from here going (other than Roy :) ?
3/25/04 1:28 PM
99luftbalut

Thanks! The clips play just fine, now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.