UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Teaching Kids & Carla Brucia Video

3/23/04 10:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JMullings
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-04 02:35 PM

Tony, I was up in Connecticut this past weekend with Todd Alofs (PDR Coach) and we had done a few training sessions in Phyliss Waskos school up there. (Also a PDR Coach). We put on a number on some groundfighting sessions, a Law Enforcement session and we put on a kids session (6 to 14 yrs old). In the kids session I had used the "link technique" that you used as a teaching tool in the LEO/BMF session that I attended in St Pete last year. It was a huge success. We used the same instructional technique as you used for the dash cams that you pioneered in teaching the Law Enforcement community. Using the video of Carlie Brucia, the young girl that was abducted recently in Florida. Just like you do with LE we watched the "dash cam". We put it up on a screen, showed the kids and their parents and broke down the video. Constantly reviewing, not judging and learning. Incredible teaching tool !!!! 40 plus people were totally engaged for 1.5 hours in this session. No techniques, but more learned about self defense and increasing the odds of survival with these kids. It was a huge hit, the socratic approach of both the parents and kids in embedding cycle of behavior, pre contact cues, etc. Afterwards I had more thankful parents with teary eyes than I have ever had before teaching a session, and I have taught alot of them. While most of the kids safe stuff taught today by a majority of the schools/instructors is yell, stomp, eye rake, etc. Al have some sort of value, having said that I wonder if any system or approach has the filter and psychological/emotional approach that you have developed over your 20 years. Thanks again and thanks and respect to Carlie Brucia who I am sure will save lives from the cost of her own. Joe Mullings www.amma.tv
3/23/04 12:40 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 23-Mar-04
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Joe, I got goosebumps reading this. As a father and personal defense coach I sat helpless watching that video on the news, thinking of my kids... Congratulations on your use of that vidoe and taking the SPEAR/PDR formula to an area I hadnt even thought of. That proactive mental blue-printing & stress-innoculation they received will change their awareness and the energy they project when the scum-bag predators are scanning for victims. What does this all mean? You saved lives that weekend, you stopped rapes....you'll never know for who or when, and the kid that grows up safer cause Mom & Dad took them to that seminar wont even know either. I'm really proud of you and how you've embraced the material and applied it to arenas my company hasnt explored. Tony
3/23/04 11:02 PM
TSA

Edited: 23-Mar-04 10:57 PM
Thanks for the post Joe. Nice job with a delicate subject. Your comments on the relevancy of Coach Blauer's research for this type of training are right on. I've had a note on my desk to work on a PDR Kids/Parents class for some time now. Your post has remotivated me to make it a priority. Thanks Tom Arcuri
3/26/04 11:07 PM
GaryK

Edited: 26-Mar-04
Way to go, Joe! Great stuff! Gary
3/27/04 1:37 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 27-Mar-04
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Message emailed to me from Phyliss Wasko who hosted Joe Mullings at her school: Tony, The clinic we did for the kids with Joe Mullings was a huge success. I had gone over and over that abduction video with my own kids (obsessively) and I found their feedback incredibly instructive. When Joe said he was coming up, I asked if he would be willing to tackle a kids clinic using that video as a teaching tool. He agreed to give it a try and he used your "timeline" approach. We had SIX year olds coming up with astounhding insights ("I think she was too afraid to do anything.....I think he scared her and intimidated her when he talked to her"....stuff like that). Kids just blow me away sometimes. We asked the parents to attend too so that they could continue the conversation at home after the session was over. I have to say I think it was an hour and a half that no one will ever forget. I feel like we made a real contribution to the safety of those kids and your "timeline" was a thing of beauty because it enabled them to really get the point that the closer the danger, the fewer the options and the less safe you are. Seems elementary, but it was a lightbulb moment for just about everyone in the room. I think they now really understand WHY awareness is so important and why its not important to worry about embarassing yourself by screaming BEFORE you are grabbed ifh your intuition tells you to do that. Anyway, I could go on and on. I WILL see you in New York for combatives camp!!! Phyllis

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.